1 1
gowlerk

The Trump recession

It will last until a tested vaccine is announced and a full washout of over-indebted companies is complete. Many corporations will not survive the reduced cash flows that C-19 is producing. As they have debt to service.

Practically speaking, people will not start spending again until the vaccine is administered to them directly and they know their elderly significant others are safe.Beyond that people will want their savings, retirement funds, etc. at safe levels. So that will be a further drag on personal spending.

26 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

It will last until a tested vaccine is announced and a full washout of over-indebted companies is complete. Many corporations will not survive the reduced cash flows that C-19 is producing. As they have debt to service.

Practically speaking, people will not start spending again until the vaccine is administered to them directly and they know their elderly significant others are safe.Beyond that people will want their savings, retirement funds, etc. at safe levels. So that will be a further drag on personal spending.

Thats silly.  You can't take it with you.

I guess a big bank account is comforting if you are bed ridden though.

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

People will start spending again when the media finds it's next crisis to bloviate about.  Today is Friday the 13th.  I predict this will be but a memory by the first week in April.

If that is really your prediction I would have to say you’re paying about as much attention as Trump has been.

11 minutes ago, airdvr said:

People will start spending again when the media finds it's next crisis to bloviate about.  Today is Friday the 13th.  I predict this will be but a memory by the first week in April.

Trump thought that two weeks ago.  Probably a poor approach to a crisis like this.

20 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Note to self: Set reminder for April to rub this post in Airdvr's face.

(edited)
1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Note to self: Set reminder for April to rub this post in Airdvr's face.

If we’re lucky we will reach the peak of the crisis around then. There’s a possibility that maybe it will begin to get better shortly after that.

Edit, I thought he was talking about the end of April. The beginning? Hahahahaha

Edited by gowlerk
Wrong date

(edited)
29 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm thinking things will start getting back to normal after the numbers peak and start to flatten out.  In China that was about a couple months, right?

Edited by Coreece
speeling - peek to peak

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm thinking things will start getting back to normal after the numbers peak and start to flatten out.  In China that was about a couple months, right?

I think it was a little more than a couple months but in that area. However, trying to use police state tactics to control it. That is not going to fly here. Also although it has greatly slowed down there it is not over. It still has a long way to go.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I think it was a little more than a couple months but in that area. However, trying to use police state tactics to control it. That is not going to fly here.

I know it's too soon to draw conclusions, but this is interesting:

image.png.8170022a94440b3091c49bf142d998f4.png

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Edited by Coreece

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You're a tremendous asset to discussions here. THANKS!

You must be entertaining on those hour long loads to 12.5 in a C-172.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

At this point, blaming the media is lazy and stupid. It’s not the media who are recommending self isolation, banning mass gatherings, closing borders and quarantining entire countries.

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Ya, I was just thinking that the day is still early.

BTW, thanks for that link from the other thread.

For some reason, the other link 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 

shows a lower number of confirmed cases in the US than yesterday, when it was 16xx.  It is also showing the UK as 3 confirmed cases to date.

Edited by headoverheels

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Thats silly.  You can't take it with you.

I guess a big bank account is comforting if you are bed ridden though.

Turtle, one last time: you have way less money than you think and it is worth way less than you believe. 

You can't take money to the grave but you can take financial security to the grave. There are no circumstances when dying with money in the bank is not preferable to dying with no money in the bank. Play it safe.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

About as relevant as your other nonsense posts.  You and Trump make a fine pair.

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I guess we'll just have to see.

Less than 2 weeks ago Trump called covid-19 a Democrat hoax perpetuated by the media and predicted that the number of cases would decline.  

He was wrong (as usual), and so are you.

15 minutes ago, kallend said:

Less than 2 weeks ago Trump called covid-19 a Democrat hoax perpetuated by the media and predicted that the number of cases would decline.  

And today he's calling it a National Emergency. Christ, what a tool.

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

Less than 2 weeks ago Trump called covid-19 a Democrat hoax perpetuated by the media

Again, no he didn't.

"Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
21 minutes ago, kallend said:

And today he's calling it a National Emergency. Christ, what a tool.

Back in January, from NPR:

"Trump Declares Coronavirus A Public Health Emergency And Restricts Travel From China"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/01/31/801686524/trump-declares-coronavirus-a-public-health-emergency-and-restricts-travel-from-c

37 minutes ago, kallend said:

I'm not saying anything about whether it's real or not.  I'm saying, just like everything else this story has it's cycle.  In three weeks I believe they'll move on to something else and it will soon be forgotten.