timski

plant based diet

On 1/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, timski said:

Just watched this: https://gamechangersmovie.com/  

OK veg heads, discuss! I, like SO many others have lived a different life, but I'm ready and excited for change! 

My wife and I are on week 2 of eating completely plant based. We decided to try one week, but felt so good after the first week that we decided to go another week.

Surprised at how good I feel and how much energy I have. And that is eating at a caloric deficit.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 4:47 AM, SkyDekker said:

My wife and I are on week 2 of eating completely plant based. We decided to try one week, but felt so good after the first week that we decided to go another week.

Surprised at how good I feel and how much energy I have. And that is eating at a caloric deficit.

I read the book Ultraman and he went from overweight to very fit and said the same. His energy levels went up quite a bit.

Rox and I have decided to give it a go.  There is a cardiologist here in Cleveland who claims plant based diet reverses cardiovascular diseases.  His son even wrote a book about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Diet-Firefighters-Save-Your-Life-Cholesterol/dp/0446506680/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1C5EPOD2B7ZMA&keywords=engine+2+cookbook+by+rip+esselstyn&qid=1579500799&sprefix=engine+2%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

Rox and I have decided to give it a go.  There is a cardiologist here in Cleveland who claims plant based diet reverses cardiovascular diseases.  His son even wrote a book about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Diet-Firefighters-Save-Your-Life-Cholesterol/dp/0446506680/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1C5EPOD2B7ZMA&keywords=engine+2+cookbook+by+rip+esselstyn&qid=1579500799&sprefix=engine+2%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2

That is incredibly difficult to do when you live on the road and travel for a living.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

That is incredibly difficult to do when you live on the road and travel for a living.

Yes.  Just about your only choice is the impossible burger and the salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays.  :E  We're contemplating allowing fish. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, DJL said:

I'm trying to reduce meat in my diet, I've had equal success in my plan to become an astronaut.

We're doing 2 days a week vegetarian only as of the start of this year.

It's taking a little effort and I'm definitely struggling with the 'it doesn't LOOK like a proper meal' mental problem, but other than that it's not too bad.

There are actually some decent veggie only recipes out there. The vegetarian paella I did last week was really tasty and filling.

14 hours ago, airdvr said:

Rox and I have decided to give it a go.  There is a cardiologist here in Cleveland who claims plant based diet reverses cardiovascular diseases. 

With the caveat that it has to be a GOOD plant based diet.  Fries and Twinkies won't help you.

23 hours ago, airdvr said:

Also see Dr. Joel Furhman's "Eat to Live."  The information in the book was quite interesting, but the recipes in the back (and yes, I also bought the full cookbook) were quite time- and ingredient-intensive. Many also didn't taste good enough to make all the work worth it. 

I do regularly go back to some, such as the taco salad.  Although I add a bit of shredded cheese to mine.

Almost two years ago now I tried Whole30. That did the trick for me -- more energy, excellent sleep, weight loss, lower blood pressure and cholesterol.  I even started to lose the ridges in my fingernails.  It's a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, no dairy, but plenty of lean meat and fish (as well as eggs).  I don't find I really eat a lot of meat, but I'm definitely not close to fully plant-based.  I do use milk/cream in cooking, and still enjoy more moderate servings of cheese.  On the Whole30 side, I still clarify my own butter (unless I'm baking, and then it all goes out the window anyway!).  I have permanently reduced my intake of sugar, grains and alcohol from that experience.  I've picked up some great snacking habits as well (lots of hard-boiled eggs, dates, clementines, almonds and raw veggies as snacks instead of chips, crackers or protein bars). Hmm... maybe it's time to do another 30 days. It's been awhile! :D

• Like 1

We just stick with eating very little processed food. Sometimes canned beans when I don't feel like making fresh, and we do eat crackers with cheese before dinner (yeah, crackers count as processed food), and chocolate after. We've been eating like this for at least 15 years, and, frankly, we're both on the high end for overall health, particularly at our age (mid 60's). Food is what we're made of. 

I favor the thinking process of Michael Pollan, without resorting to a "system." We evolved eating whatever was handy and slowest-moving, and eating less-processed foods means that our bodies have to work a little harder to digest it. In general, "use it or lose it" seems to work for a lot of things, including muscles and flexibility.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, airdvr said:

the impossible burger

I have tried it and it is a great burger. I also find it to be heavily processed and question if it is any better than a regular burger. Hence, if I want a burger, I think I will just eat a regular burger.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

I have tried it and it is a great burger. I also find it to be heavily processed and question if it is any better than a regular burger. Hence, if I want a burger, I think I will just eat a regular burger

Precisely. From what I've seen the nutritional values of plant-based burgers vs real meat ones are similar, but one has more processing, saturated fat and salt in it, the other is less sustainable but has more protein. I'll stick with eating the second thanks. Just less of them.

Personally there is no place in my diet for plant-based meat yet.

2 hours ago, yoink said:

Personally there is no place in my diet for plant-based meat yet.

My find this year was a vegetable sub for Sloppy Joe's.  I'm in the same boat because I don't like meat mimics, I see no point in trying, just don't fuckin do it because it's fundamentally flawed.  BUT, I like bean patties and mushroom burgers because they taste like themselves.  So I got this ground veg stuff and just take it from there and it tastes even better than the colon cancer causing pile of ground beef that it'd otherwise use.

2 hours ago, DJL said:

My find this year was a vegetable sub for Sloppy Joe's.  I'm in the same boat because I don't like meat mimics, I see no point in trying, just don't fuckin do it because it's fundamentally flawed.  BUT, I like bean patties and mushroom burgers because they taste like themselves.  So I got this ground veg stuff and just take it from there and it tastes even better than the colon cancer causing pile of ground beef that it'd otherwise use.

Image result for juicy steak

• Like 1

(edited)
On 1/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, turtlespeed said:

https://soylent.com/ ;P

I figured this is the perfect place to use that giant bastardized emoji - I hate it.  The whole winking eye tongue thing is supposed to exude a cool, cheeky sense of style and humor, but now it just looks like a crazy drunk uncle emoji. . . .It's frightening.

Edited by Coreece

(edited)

I like what Dekker, Trigirl and Wendy had to say here. 

I favor a more gradual approach to change wrt my eating habits, go figure eh?  Kind of similar to what Alex Honnold did in Free Solo. (the guy me and weber were talking about in the crazy religion thread)

Just wondering, is there any info on the possibility of adverse effects of drastically changing your diet after years of eating the same shit, especially when you may already be genetically predisposed to handling enormous levels of fatty shit food from eastern Europe?

Edit: I think I remember seeing something like that on House. . .where eating "healthier" posed a serious risk to the bum's health.

It's kind of like with alcohol - it's not like you can just stop after drinking that shit everyday for years, that could kill you.

Edited by Coreece