brenthutch

Climatism, the new religion

29 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You'll need to do better than you have ever done here to get under my skin. Bragging and pics of your armory in public just shows your weakness and foolishness. If someone comes for them while you sleep you won't reach them in time. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I think you're oversimplifying this a bit and doubling down.  Now, if he also posted a picture of his jacked up truck with Calvin peeing sticker we would have some more material to work with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

:ohmygod: OH NO!

I just made a quip about People in another country.  BillV, I need a ruling on this.  Does that make me a racist, bigoted Scot-o-phob? 

Well, I am confused about why you brought the Scottish into it.

(edited)
7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You'll need to do better than you have ever done here to get under my skin. Bragging and pics of your armory in public just shows your weakness and foolishness. If someone comes for them while you sleep you won't reach them in time. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I'm certainly not bragging as I have a very modest collection. I guess it all depends on your perspective.  When we did an exchange with the French Commandos from Martinique , (I hosted as I was already a graduate of Commando Entrainment #4)  when we pulled out our POWs (privately owned weapons) all the French could say was putain!  They said if such weapons were available in France folks would automatically be compelled to rob banks with them.  They were so concerned with the pernicious lure of POWs that the privates were sequestered  in a GP medium (tent) while the Sergeants and LTs blazed away with our freedom sticks.

9B4DF313-4812-4AF5-8FC9-17A541381FBD.jpeg

Edited by brenthutch

On 1/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, brenthutch said:

Tell that to my two Democrat, professor neighbors, who called me when there was a bear in the neighborhood.  I assured them there was nothing to worry about  as black bears are afraid of humans.  That changed as a large male confronted a couple walking their dog, and after several bird feeders were destroyed.  Now every one in the community has me on speed dial

Isn't it ironic how you inadvertently point out just exactly what the problem is with guns.

19 hours ago, brenthutch said:

French could say was putain!  They said if such weapons were available in France folks would automatically be compelled to rob banks with them.  They were so concerned with the pernicious lure of POWs that the privates were sequestered  in a GP medium (tent) while the Sergeants and LTs blazed away with our freedom sticks.

They of course are not wrong. Americans do seem to have a higher propensity of murdering their fellow citizens. You may think that is because Americans are mentally defective, but some think the availability of the tools has an impact.

And not sure how young children having to endure active shooter drills is really "freedom".

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And what would that be?

That they become a tool for situations they are not required in. The proverbial hammer and nail. The reaction to running into a black bear shouldn't be, let's kill it. However, as you have shown, it does become the easy reaction when the tool is so easily available.

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I know of 69 folks in Norway who wished they had had an active shooter protocol in place.   

That was 2011.

If we count mass shootings with at least 10 dead from 2011 to now, Norway has 69 dead. Which is an internationally known and shocking incident. US has close to 300 dead in 13 incidents. Without looking it up, you probably cannot name more than maybe 3 of those incidents.

Thank you for once again proving my point. Either Americans are mentally defective and cannot help murdering each other, or the easy availability of the tool has an impact. Sounds like those French you like to make fun of got it right.

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

That they become a tool for situations they are not required in. The proverbial hammer and nail. The reaction to running into a black bear shouldn't be, let's kill it. However, as you have shown, it does become the easy reaction when the tool is so easily available.

I'm glad you called it a tool, I doesn't have a mind of its own and it cannot hypnotize someone into using it.

But where bears are concerned it CAN be a useful tool.  As I tell my children it is better to have something and not need it that to need something and not have it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/09/05/black-bear-kills-minnesota-woman-ontario-attacks-not-common/2220723001/

BTW did you pay your climate tithe for this year yet?

Edited by brenthutch

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

But where bears are concerned it CAN be a useful tool.  As I tell my children it is better to have something and not need it that to need something and not have it.

Bear spray and air horns are effective tools that do not require killing. Hence, proving once again that deadly tools get used where non-lethal tools are more than adequate.

45 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Bear spray and air horns are effective tools that do not require killing. Hence, proving once again that deadly tools get used where non-lethal tools are more than adequate.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. .
Black bear droppings often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur and often contain small bells and smell of pepper.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. .
Black bear droppings often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur and often contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Which has what to do with your anecdote?

Am I supposed to be impressed or surprised american Park Rangers are not requesting people to bring guns to shoot the bears when visiting national Parks?

Edited by SkyDekker

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Probably a pretty large group, for whom power changes their behaviour. I don't think there is much doubt that guns provide power. Hence, a tool can certainly alter people's behaviour.

An automobile certainly altered my behavior, I no longer ride a bike or take public transportation, and cars are far more deadly that firearms.

BTW you are starting to sound like you have a firearms fetish.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

An automobile certainly altered my behavior, I no longer ride a bike or take public transportation, and cars are far more deadly that firearms.

BTW you are starting to sound like you have a firearms fetish.

Thank you for pointing out that the simple availability of a tool alters behaviour. You previously alluded that this could not be possible.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Which has what to do with your anecdote?

Am I supposed to be impressed or surprised american Park Rangers are not requesting people to bring guns to shoot the bears when visiting national Parks?

It's a joke, Captain Buzzkill.  It is a rejoinder to your comment about bear repellant and air horns. 

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
27 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Thank you for pointing out that the simple availability of a tool alters behaviour. You previously alluded that this could not be possible.

The availability of a tool (any too) gives one options.  I can still ride a bike, and take public transport but with a car I have the option not to.  I like having options.

"A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.”

JP

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

W/R/T bears in the wild.  My ex was irrationally paranoid of bears.  We were scheduled to camp in Algonquin Provincial Park (if you've never been it's absolutely beautiful) .  She wanted to cancel because of the bear threat.  We had a friend who had lots of hiking experience in Colorado.  His solution; a super soaker water gun loaded with pure vinegar.  Brill.  Never did see a bear but saw several moose (meese? mooses?)

ETA  Nice collection of firearms.

Edited by airdvr
clarification