3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Thank you for your cunning insight, but we aren't talking about one day in Chicago, we are talking about three years and the entire globe. 

BTW I wonder how the good folks in Fargo are feeling about their 12-14 inches of global warming today.

Well, it was BRENTHUTCH who brought up local weather (temperatures in USA in early 2019) as indicative, so consider yourself hoist by your own petard.

"Currently the US has had BELOW AVERAGE temperature for the start of 2019"; Brenthutch, just yesterday, this thread.

29 minutes ago, kallend said:

Well, it was BRENTHUTCH who brought up local weather (temperatures in USA in early 2019) as indicative, so consider yourself hoist by your own petard.

"Currently the US has had BELOW AVERAGE temperature for the start of 2019"; Brenthutch, just yesterday, this thread.

Not local weather, my friend, continent wide, prolonged climate.  You guys point to weather events not me.  I show that GLOBAL temperatures have been dropping for the last three years and you guys say "yeah, but what about super storm sandy".  Sadly, for you, I remain unhoist.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Climates change - its what they do - 

But HEY - Look we can scare a shit load of people and make a shit ton of money off of it !!

Yeah!  Like all those alarmists who told us smoking causes lung cancer!  They're only in it for the money.  But you're smarter than them, and can see through their scam.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Not local weather, my friend, continent wide, prolonged climate.  You guys point to weather events not me.  I show that GLOBAL temperatures have been dropping for the last three years and you guys say "yeah, but what about super storm sandy".  Sadly, for you, I remain unhoist.

There's only one thing wrong with climate change - it ended in 1998!  Make that 2005!  No, 2010!  OK, it REALLY ended in 2016!  Definitely this time!

On 4/9/2019 at 4:36 PM, brenthutch said:

"In 1884, over 20 years before the Ford Model TThomas Parker built the first practical production electric car in London using his own specially designed high-capacity rechargeable batteries."  

"On April 3, 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from a handheld cellphone."

Is that your way of admitting that you would be cooling your heals at a charging station while I'd be playing blackjack?

I love to watch you backpedal.  

On 4/10/2019 at 5:26 AM, cjwilt said:

What lie are you talking about???

Your statement - "James Hanson along with Michael Mann and other experts coincidentally left out the medieval warm period in their studies. "

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/holocene/public_html/shared/articles/medclimopt.pdf

Intro from that paper by Michael Mann:

===================

Medieval Climatic Optimum

Michael E Mann

University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA

The Medieval Climatic Optimum (also known as the Little Climatic Optimum, Medieval Warm Period, or Medieval Warm Epoch) refers to a period of climatic history during which temperatures in Europe and neighboring regions of the North Atlantic are believed to have been comparable to, or to have even exceeded, those of the late 20th century.

====================

Perhaps read more science journals and fewer denier blogs?

21 minutes ago, billvon said:

"On April 3, 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from a handheld cellphone."

I love to watch you backpedal.  

Pic of Marty Cooper with my wife:
No photo description available..

And with some other guy:

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

From NOAA's website, "During March, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 40.68°F, 0.82°F below the 20th-century average. This ranked in the middle third of the 125-year period of record. The year-to-date (January–March) average contiguous U.S. temperature was 35.03°F, 0.12°F below average"

And the warmists say,

"Don't trust your lying eyes folks.  You may be experiencing a prolonged winter and record snowfall in the Spring but trust us when we tell you that there is a giant ball of plasma in the South Pacific, and when we average the two, we still have dangerous climate change.  Of course this needs to be studied further.....Grant Please!"

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

From NOAA's website

Regardless of your answer, you should keep your eye on several things we've been talking about such as La Nina (Just finishing), El Nino (Might be starting soon) and the effect of global warming on the Jet Stream.  If we are about to enter an El Nino cycle it's likely that localized weather will be much hotter and drier in the Northern Hemisphere and ALSO much hotter and drier than previous El Nino periods.  This will invoke legitimate concerns and cue alarmist so buckle up.

El_nino_north_american_weather.png

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

From NOAA's website, "During March, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 40.68°F, 0.82°F below the 20th-century average. This ranked in the middle third of the 125-year period of record. The year-to-date (January–March) average contiguous U.S. temperature was 35.03°F, 0.12°F below average"

Yep.  And the next time the US breaks a bunch of records for high temperatures you'll be saying "it's an outlier!  It's a rare exception!  It doesn't mean anything.  It's weather, not climate.  It's an El Nino."

The important part, of course, is the long term trend for the whole world - which is undeniably showing warming.

I didn't expect to see you flip so rapidly to a type I denier.  Normally that sort of nonsense is reserved for some of the less thoughtful people here.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Bill, how is saying I would win the race against your “fastest car on the road,” backpedaling?

Same way saying that you could win the same race against a Formula 1 race car - and therefore your car is faster than a Formula 1 car - is backpedaling.

You stated something silly.  Best to just move on, rather than dig that particular hole any deeper.

9 minutes ago, billvon said:

The important part, of course, is the long term trend for the whole world - which is undeniably showing warming.

And it has been, in fits and starts, since the end of the last ice age.  If CO2 where driving the climate, we would not see global cooling in the last three years while CO2 levels continue to skyrocket.

My point with the car race example was to illustrate that different vehicles have different strengths and weaknesses.  A Tesla model S would trounce my Honda just as Dodge Demon would best the Tesla in a 0-60 dash.  Add some curves and the Demon loses, add some distance and my lowly Accord pulls out in front.

13 hours ago, billvon said:

Yeah!  Like all those alarmists who told us smoking causes lung cancer!  They're only in it for the money.  But you're smarter than them, and can see through their scam.

That comment is ridiculous.

The dangers of smoking are well documented - they don't fluctuate. (But you know that)

The climate change issue is a matter of perspective.  The climate is going to change.  What matters is what you are able to accept as acceptable climate change.