3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

57 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

No. Try doing some research before making foolish and blatantly false statements like this.

Unless you are just trolling again.

Nope. Not trolling. Okay, he DID say in 2006 while promoting a bullshit documentary, that we'd hit a point of no return in 10 years. So... half right. (shrugs)

There's a big (HYOOOOOOOOGE) difference between the 'end of the world' and the 'tipping point' (Point of no return).

One of the really 'fun' parts about the tipping point is that we likely won't know when we reach it. 

Not until we're well past it and it's way too late. 

10 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

Nope. Not trolling. Okay, he DID say in 2006 while promoting a bullshit documentary, that we'd hit a point of no return in 10 years. So... half right. (shrugs)

That's why we don't go to politicians for our advice on the environment.

This is a pretty good writeup on what did and didn't happen and how several scientists criticized him for exaggerations.  https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/conservation/conservationists/inconvenient-truth-sequel-al-gore.htm

20 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

So you want other people to be 100% correct, or you ridicule them. But shrug when it turns out you are only half right.

Priceless.

14 minutes ago, DJL said:

That's why we don't go to politicians for our advice on the environment.

This is a pretty good writeup on what did and didn't happen and how several scientists criticized him for exaggerations.  https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/conservation/conservationists/inconvenient-truth-sequel-al-gore.htm

I believe a co-founder of The Weather Channel debunked climate change in a testy exchange with Brian Stelter on CNN a few years back. But I agree, politicians are not to be trusted on that issue, neither is Bill Nye for that matter.

25 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

I believe a co-founder of The Weather Channel debunked climate change in a testy exchange with Brian Stelter on CNN a few years back. But I agree, politicians are not to be trusted on that issue, neither is Bill Nye for that matter.

Only if you think "debunked" means disagrees with.  He was a critic of the motivations of those like Gore who he feels are only out to profiteer over hysteria and his various statements and interviews reflect that.  He holds no professional accreditation (his degree 50 years ago was in journalism) in climate science having spent his career as a weather broadcaster, not a researcher.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

It was James Hanson in 1988

James Hanson along with Michael Mann and other experts coincidentally left out the medieval warm period in their studies. Michael Mann is still fighting to keep his code a secret that creates the hockey stick.

10 minutes ago, cjwilt said:

James Hanson along with Michael Mann and other experts coincidentally left out the medieval warm period in their studies. Michael Mann is still fighting to keep his code a secret that creates the hockey stick.

Looks like we're back in denier conspiracy world again.....

35 minutes ago, cjwilt said:

If you call altering data a denier, then yes. I'd prefer to have all the data shown and code shared. You wouldn't?

Yup, definitely back in conspiracy world.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:04 AM, brenthutch said:

Cellphones took two decades, not two centuries.

?? 1973 to 2019 looks more like a half century to me.

Fastest car on the road?  LOL!  Let me ask you a question.  In a race from Los Angles to Los Vegas, what will win; high speed rail, the Tesla tube, the Tesla S or my Honda Accord coupe? 

LOL!   Tell you what.  Go to any high school and ask the seniors if they think a Tesla model S or your Honda Accord Coupe is faster.  See what they say!  You will be LOL! LOL!

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

No, he did not. And neither has anyone else.

On June 30, 1989, the Associated Press ran an article headlined: “UN Official Predicts Disaster, Says Greenhouse Effect Could Wipe Some Nations Off Map.” In the piece, the director of the UNEP’s New York office was quoted as claiming that “entire nations could be wiped off the face of the earth by rising sea levels if global warming is not reversed by the year 2000.”

3 hours ago, cjwilt said:

James Hanson along with Michael Mann and other experts coincidentally left out the medieval warm period in their studies.

No, they didn't.

When you have to lie to make your point - maybe your point isn't so strong to begin with?

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

On June 30, 1989, the Associated Press ran an article headlined: “UN Official Predicts Disaster, Says Greenhouse Effect Could Wipe Some Nations Off Map.” In the piece, the director of the UNEP’s New York office was quoted as claiming that “entire nations could be wiped off the face of the earth by rising sea levels if global warming is not reversed by the year 2000.”

What you are replying to:

"Didn't Al Gore proclaim back in what was it, 1988, that the end of the world would come in 2000 because of climate change?"

"No, he did not. And neither has anyone else."

Your post doesn't speak to that.  Al Gore did not predict the end of the world in 2000.  Neither did any climate change scientist.  And a UN official predicting that nations could be wiped out by climate change does not refute that.

(edited)
57 minutes ago, billvon said:

?? 1973 to 2019 looks more like a half century to me.

LOL!   Tell you what.  Go to any high school and ask the seniors if they think a Tesla model S or your Honda Accord Coupe is faster.  See what they say!  You will be LOL! LOL!

"In 1884, over 20 years before the Ford Model TThomas Parker built the first practical production electric car in London using his own specially designed high-capacity rechargeable batteries."  

Is that your way of admitting that you would be cooling your heals at a charging station while I'd be playing blackjack?

Edited by brenthutch

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only if you think that entire nations being wiped off of the face of the earth is not a disaster.

Yeah....that quote doesn't say that will happen in 2000. The year refers to the reversal part, not the disaster part. Pretty basic English grammar.

15 hours ago, BillyVance said:

The co-founder in question was not a scientist at all, he was a TV "weatherman".

(edited)
2 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Reread the quote - it does NOT say nations will be wiped off the earth by 2000. So, you are still wrong.

You are right it says "could", and as Gowerk pointed out, " could" is a weasel word, rendering the prediction utterly pointless. (Just like all warmist predictions)

Edited by brenthutch