baronn

AAD fires

They seem to be a lot more common than one would think. Cypress' website says ' The first life saved by a CYPRES dates back to April of 1991. Since then, more than 4,000 lives have been saved!'. Vigil reports 329 saves so far. Not sure how many MARS has.

I have not personally witnessed an AAD fire, but I've talked to a few instructors who have.

I looked up what seems to be the topic of discussion, for anyone (like me) who isn't closely watching USPA board meetings:

Other meeting highlights include:

• To improve reporting of non-fatal incidents, especially those involving students, the board instituted the following new Basic Safety Requirement: “On any student jump, the supervising instructor, or both instructors if a two-instructor jump, must submit a completed incident report to USPA within 48 hours if any automatic activation device was activated on the jump. No disciplinary action will result from this self-report.”

Ref: https://uspa.org/Information/News/uspa-board-meets-in-dallas

Edit for sarcastic comment:
Although the rule hardly seems to be a BASIC safety requirement at all. Seems to be an administrative / data collection / reporting / paperwork requirement. Fair enough if the USPA is curious about the stats. (Is it just put into the BSR's because few bother with doing other incident reports? Are incident reports supposed to be mandatory in the USPA?)
'Before your jump, make sure to have some reporting forms stuffed in your jumpsuit, to make sure you have a safe jump! '

Edited by pchapman

17 hours ago, 20kN said:

They seem to be a lot more common than one would think. Cypress' website says ' The first life saved by a CYPRES dates back to April of 1991. Since then, more than 4,000 lives have been saved!'. Vigil reports 329 saves so far. Not sure how many MARS has.

I have not personally witnessed an AAD fire, but I've talked to a few instructors who have.

According to their website, they have an estimated 4000 saves. Out of an estimated 123,000,000 jumps (as of 2016), that equals approx. 1 save every 37,750 jumps. Hardly a "Problem" like the BOD and the new Safety and Training director are saying. Now, to be fair, we don't know how many of those were on a tandem or a training jump but, I'd be willing to bet very few