2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

6 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I accept who I am. That is a sinner saved by the grace of God through faith. I have also accepted a principle from Dr Wayne Dyer, that is, learn to be free of the good opinion of others. I was born a Caucasian American and that is a blessing. However, I was also born a Yankee and raised in the South. I paid dearly for that until I was a junior in high school. 

The point is that we are all born within certain environments and it is our personal responsibility to deal with it. My focus is not to make your life in Oregon better or worse. My focus is to help my neighbor. If we all simply did that these hypothetical what-if arguments would have no function.

My wife and I choose to live in the mountains in a rural environment because we lived in the city most of our lives and hated it. We are no longer concerned with the goings-on in Tampa FL. We are blessed. We pray for our family still there and hope someday they will get out. However, they are city people and we are mountain people. God showed us favor and allowed us to make the change. 

Everyone has to learn personal responsibility. It is not the fault or job of others. By accepting Christ as Lord and Savior the task becomes one with individual purpose. The Lord will guide your steps if you let Him.

And yet here you are, not there. Remotely placed but not remotely satisfied with the limits of society in your enclave, you need to reach out to city folk and snowflake Oregonians for the intellectual stimulation you need. Except in your pretense, this forum is really no different than an assemblage of chairs on a porch where you go to hang.

You're not here only to proselytize although I suspect thats how you rationalize being so involved for so long. You are here, like the rest of us, for something else you crave. So believe as you will but as long as you maintain an internet connection and membership in forums like SC you are still in the city and we are still your neighbors.

• Like 1

Trump recently gave a speech to a crowd of evangelicals.  He led a rousing chorus of "SEND HER BACK!" aimed at a refugee.  They cheered when he talked about denying additional refugees shelter.  And in the past they have supported him when he described how he grabs women by the pussy, when he calls white supremacists "fine people" and when he brags he could murder people and not lose supporters.    They are OK with the over a dozen women who have accused him of rape and sexual assault.  They are OK with his indiscretions with underage girls.  And they've voted for him in record numbers - 81%.

But today they have HAD ENOUGH!  Why?  Because Trump used the word "goddamn" in his speech.  That's, apparently, offensive.

And thus a new set of deplorables is born.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, gowlerk said:

Deplorable in MT punishes child for not being patriot enough. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/national-anthem-boy-assault-montana/index.html

The deplorable's mouth piece is saying that being under the influence of Trump is partly to blame.

Lance Jasper, Brockway's attorney said his client has a severe traumatic brain injury and has problems with impulse control. Between that and being a disabled veteran who is "uber patriotic," Jasper said Brockway is influenced by the rhetoric of President Donald Trump.

Referring to times the President has spoken out against athletes and others that kneel or protest during the National Anthem and when he suggested possible jail time or loss of citizenship for burning the American flag, Jasper said, "Curt takes that literally and views the president as the commander in chief and when he sees it happening, he feels he needs to do something about it."
Jasper said Brockway expressed remorse the child was hurt.
"He told me 'I guess I messed up because he got hurt. But I'm a patriot,'" Jasper said.

Well, he pled 'Not Guilty.' 

He said he was 'just following orders'.

Jasper said he intends to present his client’s neuropsychological evaluation to the court. “Curt says he was given an order from (the) commander in chief to make sure people are patriotic,” Jasper said.

Story: https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/08/montana-man-pleads-not-guilty-to-body-slamming-boy-who-didnt-remove-hat-during-national-anthem/

17 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And yet here you are, not there. Remotely placed but not remotely satisfied with the limits of society in your enclave, you need to reach out to city folk and snowflake Oregonians for the intellectual stimulation you need. Except in your pretense, this forum is really no different than an assemblage of chairs on a porch where you go to hang.

You're not here only to proselytize although I suspect thats how you rationalize being so involved for so long. You are here, like the rest of us, for something else you crave. So believe as you will but as long as you maintain an internet connection and membership in forums like SC you are still in the city and we are still your neighbors.

Good point. However, notice the difference in our posts. I shared something about me. Are you willing to share something about you instead of evaluating what I posted?

4 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Good point. However, notice the difference in our posts. I shared something about me. Are you willing to share something about you instead of evaluating what I posted?

But I did. That's the irony of your question, really, because intentional or not it's unavoidable. For example, I told you why I participate here. From that you can deduce that I feel strongly bound by a sense of community that, owing to the age of connectivity, is unbounded by locality. From that you can understand why I believe my world view should be informed by what happens in the world not just nearby a certain few acres in Oregon.

Unless you pull the plug on your router and toss your smart phone community, for better or worse, is no longer a place. These days you never need be without someone to validate you, tell you to wake the fuck up or point out in excruciating detail just how silly you can be. These days you don't need to be a Muslim, a Christian, a Liberal, a Conservative or any unchangeable flavor thereof just because. You have options, neighbor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

The larger idea is that barriers come in many forms; Trump walls are just one kind. Distance, language, nationality, culture, education, religion, sexuality, skin color and circumstance can also be formidable barriers. By interacting with others in the heterogeneous cyber world of ideas on SC you are actually working to break down those barriers. That's a good thing. 

You should want your correspondents to better understand you and, I hope, for you to better understand them. Win or lose, that's the beauty of the thing. The prize, of course, is context and the possibility to see into the thoughts of others. And then, if you are willing, into your own.

But if you insist on seeing the world around you through a narrative you ascribe to and not through the eyes of your neighbors then how can you learn?

You told me your story, your narrative, and asked for mine. Well, I don't have one that can be offered as an explanation of my truth. Mine changes as what I believe to be true changes. That's the way of life. You seem to believe that you need to explain yourself with a telling. Neighbor, that's not true for you or me. Every time we post we expose our narratives so the job is done.

"These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Someday you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn to be
Brothers in arms"

Trump attacks his own supporter for  . . . being fat.  From TPM:

=======================

Trump Accidentally Fat Shames One Of His Own Supporters At Rally

By Kate Riga

August 16, 2019 8:31 am

President Donald Trump’s Thursday night rally in Manchester, New Hampshire was briefly interrupted by protesters.

According to the Associated Press, as they were led out, a man wearing a “Trump 2020” shirt shook his fist in support of the President. But from the stage, Trump mistook the fan as one of the hecklers.

“That guy’s got a serious weight problem. Go home. Start exercising. Get him out of here, please,” he said. “Got a bigger problem than I do."

The comment seems a bit rich coming from Trump, who is overweight and has a famous aversion to exercise and attraction to McDonalds.

========================

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

The larger idea is that barriers come in many forms; Trump walls are just one kind. Distance, language, nationality, culture, education, religion, sexuality, skin color and circumstance can also be formidable barriers. By interacting with others in the heterogeneous cyber world of ideas on SC you are actually working to break down those barriers. That's a good thing. 

You should want your correspondents to better understand you and, I hope, for you to better understand them. Win or lose, that's the beauty of the thing. The prize, of course, is context and the possibility to see into the thoughts of others. And then, if you are willing, into your own.

But if you insist on seeing the world around you through a narrative you ascribe to and not through the eyes of your neighbors then how can you learn?

You told me your story, your narrative, and asked for mine. Well, I don't have one that can be offered as an explanation of my truth. Mine changes as what I believe to be true changes. That's the way of life. You seem to believe that you need to explain yourself with a telling. Neighbor, that's not true for you or me. Every time we post we expose our narratives so the job is done.

"These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Someday you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn to be
Brothers in arms"

Excellent explanations with the feeling message perceived that you are frustrated and somewhat angry.

If you need me, I'll be on my porch.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Trump attacks his own supporter for  . . . being fat.  From TPM:

=======================

Trump Accidentally Fat Shames One Of His Own Supporters At Rally

By Kate Riga

August 16, 2019 8:31 am

President Donald Trump’s Thursday night rally in Manchester, New Hampshire was briefly interrupted by protesters.

According to the Associated Press, as they were led out, a man wearing a “Trump 2020” shirt shook his fist in support of the President. But from the stage, Trump mistook the fan as one of the hecklers.

“That guy’s got a serious weight problem. Go home. Start exercising. Get him out of here, please,” he said. “Got a bigger problem than I do."

The comment seems a bit rich coming from Trump, who is overweight and has a famous aversion to exercise and attraction to McDonalds.

========================

And Scaramucci had his Twitter account temporarily suspended for posting this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 7.39.49 AM.png

20 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Excellent explanations with the feeling message perceived that you are frustrated and somewhat angry.

If you need me, I'll be on my porch.

Why stop there? Now guess my age, weight and height. All you can lose is another cheap kewpie doll.

This despicable administration had to be forced by a court to provide hygienic conditions for the migrant children it keeps in cages.  An appeals court, no less, as it had appealed the lower court ruling.

https://thehill.com/latino/457573-appeals-court-rules-trump-administration-must-provide-personal-hygiene-products-in

What is wrong with these people (rhetorical - no need to answer).

1 minute ago, kallend said:

This despicable administration had to be forced by a court to provide hygienic conditions for the migrant children it keeps in cages.  An appeals court, no less, as it had appealed the lower court ruling.

https://thehill.com/latino/457573-appeals-court-rules-trump-administration-must-provide-personal-hygiene-products-in

What is wrong with these people (rhetorical - no need to answer).

I'd be curious to see what would happen if because of some sort of turmoil a flood of Canadians began crossing into the US.

9 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Poutine trucks on every corner?

It's hard to even mimic the outrage because it's so apparent that same people losing their shit about Latinos coming into the US wouldn't bat an eye about a primarily Caucasian population entering the US.

3 hours ago, DJL said:

It's hard to even mimic the outrage because it's so apparent that same people losing their shit about Latinos coming into the US wouldn't bat an eye about a primarily Caucasian population entering the US.

And this surprises you in what particular way?

Those 'same people losing their shit' about a black man in the White House is why Trump is there. 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:34 AM, DJL said:

We have seen that frequently here. People raging against illegal immigrants using the dz packer who overstayed his/her visa....

5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

We have seen that frequently here. People raging against illegal immigrants using the dz packer who overstayed his/her visa....

And getting tunnel coaching from the cute Scandinavian chick here on a vacation visa.  "But that's different!  She's not from a shithole country.  And she's cute.  And her coaching rates are VERY reasonable."

Not nearly as deplorable as right wingers who murder protesters or abuse kids - I bring you the Rev. Dan Reehill, who limits his actions to book bannings. In this case he is banning Harry Potter books, because they represent magic the "wrong" way, and because kids reading the book might accidentally summon evil spirits after reading how to do it in the book - because apparently JK Rowling put real spells in her book.  Seriously.  In his words:

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text."

He claims to have discovered this after talking to several prominent exorcists, who are apparently a real thing.

So kudos - I guess? - to Rev. Dan, who is more funny than evil.  Funny how our standards for evil have dropped.

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not nearly as deplorable as right wingers who murder protesters or abuse kids - I bring you the Rev. Dan Reehill, who limits his actions to book bannings. In this case he is banning Harry Potter books, because they represent magic the "wrong" way, and because kids reading the book might accidentally summon evil spirits after reading how to do it in the book - because apparently JK Rowling put real spells in her book.  Seriously.  In his words:

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text."

He claims to have discovered this after talking to several prominent exorcists, who are apparently a real thing.

So kudos - I guess? - to Rev. Dan, who is more funny than evil.  Funny how our standards for evil have dropped.

JKR's text books have been outed at last!

Rather like this guy, who just exploded the hypocrisy meter.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/founder-of-conversion-therapy-organization-comes-out-as-gay-and-apologizes

35 minutes ago, billvon said:

...The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text."

He claims to have discovered this after talking to several prominent exorcists, who are apparently a real thing...

Yeah, 'Exorcists' are 'real' things, just like psychic mediums and "Reiki healers'.

"Real" in the meaning that there are people who represent themselves as these things and take money for their 'services' from the foolish and gullible.

I do have to wonder: If the spells in HP are 'real' and 'risk conjuring up evil spirits', why hasn't this happened? 

There are millions of people who have read these books. I would guess that the spells have been read aloud upwards of a billion times.

You'd think that the evil spirits would have appeared at least a few times.

28 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I do have to wonder: If the spells in HP are 'real' and 'risk conjuring up evil spirits', why hasn't this happened? 

There are millions of people who have read these books. I would guess that the spells have been read aloud upwards of a billion times.

You'd think that the evil spirits would have appeared at least a few times.

argumentum ad ignorantiam, expelliramus!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Holy shit. I’m going to have to re-read Harry Potter. 

And probably buy a wizard hat from Amazon.