jclalor

Trump is already screwing vets

Because of the nature of my retirement I have TriCare, too. It has co-pays and other restrictions just like regular insurance. If I need very expensive care (in my case prosthetics and audiology, both stemming directly from my service) I could go to a regular provider and use TriCare, but I would be paying a lot of money out of pocket.

I know some people are okay with that. A conservative poster on this site (who rarely posts anymore) said that all the government owed wounded service members was basic job training. According to him, if they were able to work they didn't need disability payments or free medical care. I'd like to think we still value people's sacrifice a little more than that, but maybe that attitude is changing.

On the other hand, I'd like to echo what melch said above. Being a veteran doesn't make you a hero. Being a wounded or disabled veteran doesn't make you a hero, either. There are very few true heroes either in or out of the military. I certainly am not a hero, and I don't like being called one just because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

- Dan G

DanG

I guess I don't understand. The too many vacant positions problem wasn't solved by giving the VA billions more? I wonder where it went?

I'm not saying the VA is perfect. I'm also not saying that the recent efforts to improve the VA solved all the problems.

What I am saying is one of the identified problems was lack of medical staff. Refusing to hire more medical staff can never fix that problem.

You are correct when you question things like deductibles and such, but it seems to me we're trying to invent something that already exists. People on Medicare have supplemental policies (or should) that take care of deductibles and co-pays. Why can't there be a Veterans policy that makes out of pocket costs $0?

I suppose you could work the system like that. The private hospital system would need to be prepared for a huge influx of new patients. I'm not sure we can handle that. The Medicare system would also have to be expanded. I'm not sure you'd really save much money.

The VA does some things really well. Between the last post I made and this one I got a call from one of my providers at the VA. I had put in a request through my primary care giver for a replacement part for my prosthetic last week. Today they called to tell me they are going to send me four new parts so if one breaks again I won't have any downtime. They also made me an appointment to come try out a new high tech prosthetic hand next Friday. Sure, I had to wait on the phone five minutes to get my appointment. Regardless of what Trump thinks, VA healthcare isn't just a pile of dying old men littering the halls of a dusty hospital while incompetent doctors and corrupt staff people spit at them.

Thanks for that and I agree especially with the highlighted areas.

There is certainly an existing system that could supplement existing VA facilities by funding veterans needs at other hospitals/health providers. Most US hospitals run at about 85% capacity.

DanG

Because of the nature of my retirement I have TriCare, too. It has co-pays and other restrictions just like regular insurance. If I need very expensive care (in my case prosthetics and audiology, both stemming directly from my service) I could go to a regular provider and use TriCare, but I would be paying a lot of money out of pocket.

I know some people are okay with that. A conservative poster on this site (who rarely posts anymore) said that all the government owed wounded service members was basic job training. According to him, if they were able to work they didn't need disability payments or free medical care. I'd like to think we still value people's sacrifice a little more than that, but maybe that attitude is changing.

On the other hand, I'd like to echo what melch said above. Being a veteran doesn't make you a hero. Being a wounded or disabled veteran doesn't make you a hero, either. There are very few true heroes either in or out of the military. I certainly am not a hero, and I don't like being called one just because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Is the VA providing your care directly or just paying for it?

As you stated earlier, VA could work directly with TriCare or other providers and pay the out of pocket expenses.

Real heroes always deny that they are so will simply say thanks for your service and sacrifice. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

RonD1120

***Of all of the posters on this thread, how many of you are even veterans? Roll call!

I am and I know "my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall! You use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way."

As a veteran, it aggravates me when progressive liberals who never served in the military express opinions on the VA.

There are many problems but the wise approach is to stop adding people until a management analysis is completed.

If Obama had received medical deferments from serving, yet was still able to play baseball in college, I'm pretty sure I would know what your response would be.

jakee

***Or are you saying she wanted to work at the VA and now she doesn't?

The precise concept of a hiring freeze continues to elude you, eh?

It could be either...if she's even an average RN she'll have no problem finding a job.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******Or are you saying she wanted to work at the VA and now she doesn't?

The precise concept of a hiring freeze continues to elude you, eh?

It could be either...if she's even an average RN she'll have no problem finding a job.
The fact that she's no longer in the process of getting a job at the VA might have nothing to do with a hiring freeze at the VA?

This conversation is very confusing.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Any sufficiently complex system (like the VA, or the US) is impossible to improve significantly without hurting some people. It's often just a question of whom one is willing to hurt. One group thinks it's fine to hurt rich people because they have money, another thinks it's fine to hurt poor people because they don't have the power to do anything about it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Any sufficiently complex system (like the VA, or the US) is impossible to improve significantly without hurting some people. It's often just a question of whom one is willing to hurt. One group thinks it's fine to hurt rich people because they have money, another thinks it's fine to hurt poor people because they don't have the power to do anything about it.

Wendy P.

Wow. Talk about cutting through to the heart of the matter.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

As a veteran, it aggravates me when progressive liberals who never served in the military express opinions on the VA.

Then you should appreciate when women, (who can get pregnant), find their reproductive healthcare stripped away by old white men who can't.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

brenthutch

Of all of the posters on this thread, how many of you are even veterans? Roll call!

I am and I know "my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall! You use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way."

I WANT THE TRUTH!!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

ryoder

Then you should appreciate when women, (who can get pregnant), find their reproductive healthcare stripped away by old white men who can't.

Besides, I don't think there's anyone trying to stop veterans from getting the healthcare they need after having served in the military. The issue is the mess and funding issues that caused it to flounder, mostly caused by partisan issues which is just mind blowing. Enlisted pay is shit and the consequence of doing a good job is death and injury. Everyone should be throwing money at some type of veteran advocacy group, it's what they need to make it happen

How about this, everyone post a Veterans support group they know of, everyone else donate $20 to it, more if you can but it would be cool if we all could donate to as many as possible. Quit with the words, start with the actions.

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
https://www.facebook.com/IAVA.org/
https://iava.org/support/donate/

DJL

I contacted them to see if they could provide a link for online donations.

I think they are working on that. I remember it being discussed.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Facebook does a payment or donation option on any page. A lot of organizations find that to be the easiest route, especially since if there's an event they're trying to promote you can donate right there on the page.

DJL

Besides, I don't think there's anyone trying to stop veterans from getting the healthcare they need after having served in the military. The issue is the mess and funding issues that caused it to flounder, mostly caused by partisan issues which is just mind blowing. Enlisted pay is shit and the consequence of doing a good job is death and injury. Everyone should be throwing money at some type of veteran advocacy group, it's what they need to make it happen

How about this, everyone post a Veterans support group they know of, everyone else donate $20 to it, more if you can but it would be cool if we all could donate to as many as possible. Quit with the words, start with the actions.

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
https://www.facebook.com/IAVA.org/
https://iava.org/support/donate/

Ironically veterans assistance groups such as these are part of the problem as when government funding is determined they're factored in.

Not saying don't donate to them, but if the VA truly did it's job most of these would be unnecessary.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The VA provides my prosthetic and audiology care directly, but I can go to a private provider with VA approval. It is easier just to go to the VA directly. Less paperwork. No matter what laws they change, there will always be paperwork.

- Dan G