JohnyCrawford

Trump Inauguration Music?

BIGUN

Before you take issue with Lee Greenwood... You might want to look up his age at the time of deferment, the year in which he applied and why he applied.

He was 17 and had knocked up a girl.

It's not like he was curing cancer.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

My dad had kids when he went to Korea...as did his brother when he was drafted for and died in Nam.
It's a lame attempt to defend draft dodgers IMO.
Certainly these people are NOT patriots.

I'm not sure I'm go that far.

I think a person can be patriotic without fighting a war for a foreign country. The Vietnam war was an incredibly complex issue.

That said there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in getting rich off wrapping yourself in the flag after evading the draft.
quade -

normiss

I can't disagree entirely, but when the nation calls and you decide your feet hurt too much to defend your nation, I'd question your patriotism.

Sure, but there is a difference between Patriotism and Jingoism. The defense of the nation wasn't at stake during the Vietnam war - the clue is that it was happening in Vietnam;)

That said, I agree with Quade's assessment. Nothing wrong with avoiding the fight per se, extreme hypocrisy in getting rich glorifying the military afterwards.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It must be an American thing. I don't even know who Lee Greenwood is. But if he needed to he could have come here to avoid the draft.

All of your Presidents somehow managed to avoid fighting in Vietnam. John Kerry and John McCain were your last best hope of having a stand up patriot on the job.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

All of your Presidents somehow managed to avoid fighting in Vietnam. John Kerry and John McCain were your last best hope of having a stand up patriot on the job.

Do not confuse serving in the military with being a patriot. This is especially the case regarding anyone who served during the draft; it was simply to be expected.

There are millions of highly patriotic people in the US who were never called to military service, or were never able to for various reasons, or may have performed more valuable services to the country outside of the military.
quade -

quade

***All of your Presidents somehow managed to avoid fighting in Vietnam. John Kerry and John McCain were your last best hope of having a stand up patriot on the job.

Do not confuse serving in the military with being a patriot. This is especially the case regarding anyone who served during the draft; it was simply to be expected.

There are millions of highly patriotic people in the US who were never called to military service, or were never able to for various reasons, or may have performed more valuable services to the country outside of the military.

That was a very expensive lesson that Britain learned in WW1. Sending people out to the trenches who would have been far more useful designing aircraft, better weapons, etc.

They didn't make the same mistake in WW2. Neither did the USA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

quade

***All of your Presidents somehow managed to avoid fighting in Vietnam. John Kerry and John McCain were your last best hope of having a stand up patriot on the job.

Quite right. There are Americans serving in very dangerous jobs right now. In the CIA, FBI, in places like Russia, Iran, etc. Undercover police officers in the US also come to mind.

The service, sacrifice of some can't be disclosed but is equal in all respects that of James Mattis and Senator McCain. Just too bad as to who they have to answer to as commander in chump.

http://wgna.com/toby-keith-plays-made-in-america-on-a-japanese-made-guitar/

The acoustic guitar, (not the electric in the photo): http://wgna.com/toby-keith-plays-made-in-america-on-a-japanese-made-guitar/

Guitar: http://www.takamine.com/EF250TK-Toby-Keith-Signature

It is used in the first minute of "Made In America": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAF_3WMJGM
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BIGUN

Before you take issue with Lee Greenwood... You might want to look up his age at the time of deferment, the year in which he applied and why he applied. He had better reasons than Bush or Clinton (both of whom were 1-A & one was "serving").

And know, Selective Service did not give those particular deferments out without good reason. He wrote God Bless the USA back in the 70's as a tribute to those coming home from Vietnam.

I have no issue at all with Lee Greenwood and I love his song. I was responding to normiss' negative comment. He has the problem, not me. I apologize if I misled you.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

BIGUN

Before you take issue with Lee Greenwood... You might want to look up his age at the time of deferment, the year in which he applied and why he applied. He had better reasons than Bush or Clinton (both of whom were 1-A & one was "serving").

And know, Selective Service did not give those particular deferments out without good reason. He wrote God Bless the USA back in the 70's as a tribute to those coming home from Vietnam.

Definitely. At the risk of insulting those who served in the Vietnam War, it's more and more difficult to look down upon those who did not for any reason. Only those who were alive at the time have a memory rather than a historical knowledge of the turmoil surrounding that war and society. Those who were not alive should still understand why we were involved in that war, what happened with the Maddox in the Gulf of Tonkin, the reasons we stayed so long, the reasons we were allowed to target one area vs. another, and why we eliminated the Draft.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

winsor

***Time to lighten this place up a bit.

Name a song that should be played at Trump's inauguration program.

I'll start: "Born in the USA", by Bruce Springsteen. Get the humor.

"Pop Goes the World" by Men Without Hats

The Trumps danced to Frank Sinatra's My Way at one of the inaugural balls. Sounds fitting.

nolhtairt

The Trumps danced to Frank Sinatra's My Way at one of the inaugural balls. Sounds fitting.

Lyrics written by a Canadian with music composed by a Frenchman. Co-opted by an American entertainer with (alleged) ties to organized crime.

Fitting indeed.

;)

nolhtairt

******Time to lighten this place up a bit.

Name a song that should be played at Trump's inauguration program.

I'll start: "Born in the USA", by Bruce Springsteen. Get the humor.

"Pop Goes the World" by Men Without Hats

The opening two lines are indeed fitting:

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain

quade

***Before you take issue with Lee Greenwood... You might want to look up his age at the time of deferment, the year in which he applied and why he applied.

You're mistaken. But it doesn't matter. You and Normiss have your minds set on your point of view.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>>He was 17 and had knocked up a girl.
>>It's not like he was curing cancer.

>You're mistaken.

Lee Greenwood, born Oct 27 1942. (from Wikipedia.)

First marriage to Edna in 1960 (from IMDB.) Thus, age 17-18 when married.
By age 17 he had two children.

From Lee:
"It angers me when I hear this. I never served in the military because I had children at the age of 17. I was given the classification 3A [hardship deferment.] The draft never got to that #. If it had, like my father, I would have left my wife and children (for I know they would have understood) to fight and die if necessary for my country."

Nothing wrong with that.

billvon

>>He was 17 and had knocked up a girl.
>>It's not like he was curing cancer.

>You're mistaken.

Lee Greenwood, born Oct 27 1942. (from Wikipedia.)

First marriage to Edna in 1960 (from IMDB.) Thus, age 17-18 when married.
By age 17 he had two children.

From Lee:
"It angers me when I hear this. I never served in the military because I had children at the age of 17. I was given the classification 3A [hardship deferment.] The draft never got to that #. If it had, like my father, I would have left my wife and children (for I know they would have understood) to fight and die if necessary for my country."

Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

******Before you take issue with Lee Greenwood... You might want to look up his age at the time of deferment, the year in which he applied and why he applied.

You're mistaken.

So, you're saying he WAS curing cancer? :P
quade -