wolfriverjoe

Will Trump serve out his full term?

Hi 8812,

So you think new York and California deciding the fate of the entire country is fair...

Can you even begin to understand the conversation?

By getting rid of the EC no state has any clout. All 'clout' would be held by the individual voter;
i.e., one person = one vote.

Jerry Baumchen

So you think new York and California deciding the fate of the entire country is fair...

So much for all being equal. It is all in the name 'United States of America'

Just think about that name for a second.

Not sure how 'united' it would be if a few state's called the shots for everyone.

If we had a popular vote to determine the President, states would not come into it at all. Some Californians would vote for candidate A, some for B, some for C, and so on, just as would happen in every state. Everyones vote would count, and they would all count the same. California and New York would not determine anything, but people who happen to live in New York or California would not be systematically discounted so they count less (as much as five times less) than people who live in Kansas or Iowa.

Under the electoral college a handful of swing states command almost all the attention, leaving most of the population in "flyover" territory. My state (Georgia) has been systematically ignored in every election I have been able to participate in, for example. How is that an improvement over a popular vote?

It's quite obvious that the main "justification" for the Electoral College is that it inflates the voting power of rural states with relatively small and mostly non-college-educated populations, states that tend to lean heavily Republican. The Electoral College makes is vastly easier for Republicans to win elections without the need to win the popular vote, while on the other hand ensuring that Democrats need to win significantly more than half the popular vote to actually win the election.

I find it hard to see much daylight between statements discounting the right of Californians or New Yorkers to have a say in the direction of the county, and statements invoking other rules discounting whole segments of the population based on color. Both are statements that some people are not "real" Americans and do not deserve to have a say in how the country is run.

Don

Georgia gets 16 votes, that's a good chunk.

Wyoming gets only 3.

I don't see anyone suggesting a better system.

Popular vote by nation is wrong in the USA, because the USA is a conglomerate of many states. Using a national popular vote would undermine the voice of less populated states.

Maybe people should try whining about it before the next election, not after. If they really want it be fair.

But in realty the whiners just want their party to win.

I believe and certainly hope Tump will win a second term.due to doing a good job.

Those hoping he doesn't are simply buthurt assholes.

Give the guy a chance.

quade

Yes, much better to live in a theocracy with a king.

I'm OK with Jesus Christ filling that position. I also believe He is coming much sooner than most folks believe. Keep watching Israel.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

JerryBaumchen

Hi 8812,

By getting rid of the EC no state has any clout. All 'clout' would be held by the individual voter;

Jerry Baumchen

Can you imagine drafting a Constitutional amendment and getting the required number of states to accept it for that to happen?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

JerryBaumchen

Hi 8812,

Jerry Baumchen

You are wrong. This year just 10 population centers would have picked the President for the whole country.

Remember we are not a democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

You are wrong. This year just 10 population centers would have picked the President for the whole country.

Then it is just as true to say that this year only 3 states picked the president for the whole country.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***You are wrong. This year just 10 population centers would have picked the President for the whole country.

Then it is just as true to say that this year only 3 states picked the president for the whole country.

Hmmmm

Math be an issue for since there are no combination of three states that would have given Trump the number of EC votes needed to win.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******You are wrong. This year just 10 population centers would have picked the President for the whole country.

Hmmmm

Math be an issue for since there are no combination of three states that would have given Trump the number of EC votes needed to win.

And no combination of California + New York gives anyone the number of EC votes either. So yes, "math be an issue" [sic].

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

***Yes, much better to live in a theocracy with a king.

I'm OK with Jesus Christ filling that position. I also believe He is coming much sooner than most folks believe. Keep watching Israel.

You should move to the UAE and see how your logic plays out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

******Yes, much better to live in a theocracy with a king.

I am not sure what you mean. Logic is not foremost in my mental processing.

RonD1120

*********Yes, much better to live in a theocracy with a king.

I am not sure what you mean. Logic is not foremost in my mental processing.

Obviously.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Isn't that always what you have believed? These must be very hopeful days for you. But be wary. It's always possible that very bad things can happen in the world even without bringing on the appearance of the Savior. Very momentous events have occurred in the past, and so far as we know the Lord just sat up there in Heaven and watched the proceedings without feeling the need to intervene.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Royreader8812

No. But that's irrelevant because they wouldn't. 137M votes cast, 22M from CA and NY combined. Does that look like a majority to you? Doesn't look like one to me.

Apparently though, you think that a mere 45,000 voters in Florida and 100,000 voters in Georgia deciding the fate of the entire country is fair.

Not sure how 'united' it would be if a few state's called the shots for everyone.

That's what happens now. The system you support ensures that a few states call the shots for everybody. Under a popular vote no states wuld call the shots, because states as unified entities wouldn't vote.

Sounds fair!

It does. It really does.

rushmc

******You are wrong. This year just 10 population centers would have picked the President for the whole country.

Hmmmm

And what are the 10 population centres that can provide an unassailable majority all on their own?

Maths an issue? Yeah, no shit Sherlock:D

JerryBaumchen

Hi jakee,

Maths an issue?

What absolutely dumbfounds me is how some people on here have no concept of English composition & simple arithmetic.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

But "math be an issue", as Marc told us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But "math be an issue", as Marc told us.

But not an insurmountable issue. If need be math can be very flexible. Just another post truth, post fact tool to be abused.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Earlier today I met an old friend and her new husband, who is a naturalized US citizen from Algeria who is also a Muslim. He turned out to be very articulate and a genuine nice guy. Had a nice conversation with him.

Here's the shocker. He voted for Trump. I asked him why because I wanted to see what his reason was. He wanted Trump to make the screening process for immigrants tougher, to better weed out the bad ones. Imagine that. A Muslim citizen actually said that. Hell has frozen over!

Chew on that one.

Trump will serve a full term because only Republicans can impeach him. They have House and Senate control. Thats not going to change quickly unless Democrats get their act together. This is a excellent opportunity to put a consensus based conservative shift to government.

For a little off thread topic reply.

nolhtairt

Earlier today I met an old friend and her new husband, who is a naturalized US citizen from Algeria who is also a Muslim. He turned out to be very articulate and a genuine nice guy. Had a nice conversation with him.

Here's the shocker. He voted for Trump. I asked him why because I wanted to see what his reason was. He wanted Trump to make the screening process for immigrants tougher, to better weed out the bad ones. Imagine that. A Muslim citizen actually said that. Hell has frozen over!

Chew on that one.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world or about 23% of the total population. US followers of Allah are not like the followers in the northern provinces of Pakistan. Just as German, Canadian, French Muslims are not a religious based voting block. There are Christian groups that use religion to foster hate just as IS has its Wahhabist ideals.

At these protests in Arizona a Christian pastor said it best:
"Jim Mullins, a pastor at Redemption Church in Tempe, helped organize the blue shirt-wearing solidarity wall. He told VICE News that after 9/11 he was just like the anti-Islam crowd at the rally.

"I was like the folks over there," Mullins said. "I had hostility towards Muslims and I had some friends that challenged me on it. They said that I was inconsistent with who Jesus is… I started on a journey to discover what it really looks like to love my neighbor, love my Muslim neighbor in a post-9/11 world."
https://news.vice.com/article/heres-what-happened-at-the-anti-islam-protest-and-draw-muhammad-contest-in-arizona

Despite the provocations Muslims did nothing in response.The protestors had the objective, the agenda of religious hate.

Just as IS has the objective of religious war.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/what-is-wahhabism-the-reactionary-branch-of-islam-said-to-be-the/

And a little more biased but more detailed:
https://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/wahhabism-isis-and-the-saudi-connection/

And a longer read but more precise:
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/The-ideology-of-the-Islamic-State.pdf