brenthutch

Harry Reid neuters Senat Dems.

brenthutch

***They did what they needed to do at the time. And they have no business holding up Trump's appointments now.

They can't

Yes, I know. The point is that's a good thing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

It looks like we will finally get things done in the federal government.

Just what the Republicans have been asking for - a big, active federal government.

They'll be so happy...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

When the federal government does something wrong, the post-study and criticism are enormous; ergo the caution. There is virtually no reward for doing everything right ("it's what we expect"), and endless punishment for getting it wrong.

Why do you think it's good now for the Feds to get stuff done? Do you really think that when the Dems get a majority in either the House or the Senate (it will happen eventually), they'll be so overawed with the wonderfulness of conservatism and corporate rule of America that they'll immediately say "ok we were wrong about everything?"

Yeah, right.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jakee

***It looks like we will finally get things done in the federal government.

Just what the Republicans have been asking for - a big, active federal government.

They'll be so happy...

No that is the Democrats, the Republicans want to reduce the role of the federal government. Although my biggest fear is that we get GWB 2.0 and start spending like drunken Democrats.

No that is the Democrats, the Republicans want to reduce the role of the federal government. Although my biggest fear is that we get GWB 2.0 and start spending like drunken Democrats.

They will spend like people. People with unlimited taxation power. The only difference between Rs and Ds is what they will spend it on.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

They will spend like people. People with unlimited taxation power. The only difference between Rs and Ds is what they will spend it on.

That is the thing, they WILL NOT tax, the will just pile it on the debt.

Democrats spend without taxing
Republicans cut taxes without cutting spending
If we actuality had to pay for the free stuff we want from government, we would want much less.

I have a real fear that the current administration is going to make previous Democrats look like they were fiscally responsible. The tax cuts that are proposed are going to add 1.5-2.0 trillion to the national debt and that was assuming that expenditures were not going to go up 1 dollar. Several billion dollars are being pledged for the military, VA, "infrastructure" and a host of other projects that have not even been called out yet. Unless the administration can figure out how to cut a couple of 100 billion from our budget annually the debt is going to jump. If they do figure out how to remove that amount of expenditures in their first budget prepare for a rough ride since that is a massive amount of money to yank out from the economy and the effects will be massive inflation, skyrocketing interest rates, massive unemployment and foreclosures at a rate that will make the last housing bubble look like it was just a tiny ripple.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

I have a real fear that the current administration is going to make previous Democrats look like they were fiscally responsible. The tax cuts that are proposed are going to add 1.5-2.0 trillion to the national debt and that was assuming that expenditures were not going to go up 1 dollar. Several billion dollars are being pledged for the military, VA, "infrastructure" and a host of other projects that have not even been called out yet. Unless the administration can figure out how to cut 100 billion from our budget annually the debt is going to jump. If they do figure out how to remove that amount of expenditures in their first budget prepare for a rough ride since that is a massive amount of money to yank out from the economy and the effects will be massive inflation, skyrocketing interest rates, massive unemployment and foreclosures at a rate that will make the last housing bubble look like it was just a tiny ripple.

Not sure how Americans could be surprised that Trump is going to use the Federal budget to greatly enhance his family's wealth.

wmw999

When the federal government does something wrong, the post-study and criticism are enormous; ergo the caution. There is virtually no reward for doing everything right ("it's what we expect"), and endless punishment for getting it wrong.

Why do you think it's good now for the Feds to get stuff done? Do you really think that when the Dems get a majority in either the House or the Senate (it will happen eventually), they'll be so overawed with the wonderfulness of conservatism and corporate rule of America that they'll immediately say "ok we were wrong about everything?"

Yeah, right.

Wendy P.

Remember "The era of big government is over."

brenthutch

Remember "The era of big government is over."

that won't happen until we leave the two existing parties behind.

(and probably not then either - people enjoy getting stuff paid for by others)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>No that is the Democrats, the Republicans want to reduce the role of the federal government.

And yet they grow government far faster than the democrats do.

It may well be true that they WANT to reduce the role of federal government. What they DO is increase it.

billvon

>No that is the Democrats, the Republicans want to reduce the role of the federal government.

And yet they grow government far faster than the democrats do.

It may well be true that they WANT to reduce the role of federal government. What they DO is increase it.

I agree, the Republicans only show restraint when they are in the minority. That is why I am generally in favor of divided government.

Hi brent,

"The era of big government is over."

If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

As I have posted on here before, the very first act that Ronald Reagan did as POTUS was to issue an Executive Order freezing all US gov't. hires. When he left office 8 yrs later, there were more federal employees than when he came into office.

So much for: "The era of big government is over."

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi brent,

"The era of big government is over."

If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

As I have posted on here before, the very first act that Ronald Reagan did as POTUS was to issue an Executive Order freezing all US gov't. hires. When he left office 8 yrs later, there were more federal employees than when he came into office.

So much for: "The era of big government is over."

Jerry Baumchen

Hi jerry
The quote was Bill Clinton's not Reagan's

Boy am I guilty of this

Recently I realized what a scandal free administration that Obama has run - but I was guilty of ignoring that and focusing on other issues.

I believe I might need to start looking for what the government does good....

Great post.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

If you read the recent Pentagon report on their expenditures they found out that the orders to reduce the number of Government employees ended up costing them dramatically higher then having Government employees on staff. When they needed to complete a job and their only option was to hire a contractor they calculated that by the time all the benefits, pension and extra perks were added in it was costing the branches anywhere from 170-190k per position compared to low 100's if it was a direct hire for that position. Most of these positions are more technical or specialty positions that can not be filled by a new recruit or fresh graduate so the expected cost is going to be higher. But when you look at someone like Lockheed, SAIC, Leidos, Verizon, or any of the major government contractors they have bill rates that start at $125 per hour and in some instances are billing at rates upwards of $250 per hour. That translates to $250-500k per position that gets filled by their services.

Lockheed has said they will not do any work in which they are not making at least 15% margin and prefer a run rate of over 20% margin on their contracting services. They ended up selling off IS&GS for 6 Billion last year because they were seeing returns in the upper single digits only for the majority of the contracts that they were working. 6 Billion dollars a year from the government went for privatized Air traffic management,technical services, Government/Enterprise IT, Commercial cyber, and Government health care IT. They were making around 7% margin on that business or about $400 million in profit off of that business line.

Eliminating government hires are not always the solution to reducing spending. There are ways to do it but it generally needs to come at a reduction of the workload and the personal at the same time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I used to work with a cynical dude who had a name for what you just described:

"Save a penny; Spend a buck."

I've witnessed this countless times when management starts chugging the out-sourcing Koolaid.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi brent,

The quote was Bill Clinton's not Reagan's

I did not say that Reagan said it. I merely pointed out how the president, who thought the gov't. was the problem & not the solution, decided that he could solve the problem.

Short of an armed revolution, the era of big gov't. is here forever.

Jerry Baumchen