kallend

McCain does the right thing. How about it, McConnell?

DanG

If Trump were off the ballot I would vote for a third party.

Let me put it this way: I have to eat a meal chosen by a random group of people. There are three things on the menu: a literal shit sandwich, a boring bologna sandwich on Wonderbread, and a lobster feast. I happen to know that most people are going to vote for one variety of sandwich. For hundreds of years, people have voted sandwich. As long as shit sandwich is on the menu, I'm going to do everything to make sure shit sandwich doesn't get chosen. Based on history, that means voting bologna. If shit sandwich is removed from the menu and replaced with dirt sandwich, I would probably go ahead and vote lobster. I can reasonably take the chance on having to eat a dirt sandwich. Ain't no way I want to eat shit.

I understand it. What's ironic is:

1 - the bologna is apparently dipped in shit and shit by-products - but people that make bologna have a great ad campaign.

2 - If everyone that said they'd like to vote for lobster but can't due to the shit, would actually vote for lobster - pretty much lobster would be served.

as an aside - shellfish are poo eaters, successfully turning other creatures' shit into a tasty meal.

Pretty much the DNC position today is something akin to "The Prisoner's Dilemma"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I guess I don't see as much shit on the bologna as you do. I don't really like bologna, but I don't think it is terrible.

And you're right about the lobster in a way. It sounds great, but when you dig a little deeper all the lobster dishes are batshit crazy and don't have any idea how to run our country.

Sorry, I lost the metaphor at the end there.

- Dan G

This should be interesting, especially given Trump's attacks on Cruz.

===========
The Hill
August 03, 2016, 10:18 am
Dems ask Cruz to hold hearing on Trump's Russian hacking remarks

By Jordain Carney

A pair of Senate Democrats is pushing Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to hold a hearing on Donald Trump's call for Russia to obtain and leak Hillary Clinton's personal emails.

Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) sent a letter to Cruz Wednesday calling the GOP presidential nominee's remarks "dangerous and irresponsible."

"We ask that you conduct an oversight hearing to determine whether existing federal criminal statutes and federal court jurisdiction sufficiently address conduct related to foreign entities that could undermine our elections," they wrote.

The two senators add they specifically want Cruz to look at whether Trump, or anyone else who asks a foreign government to use a cyberattack against a political opponent, broke the law.
==============

DanG

It sounds great, but when you dig a little deeper all the lobster dishes are batshit crazy and don't have any idea how to run our country.

Sorry, I lost the metaphor at the end there.

either way, eat too much shit (shit), too much bologna (nitrates), or too much lobster (mercury) without mixing in some fruit and veggies, and you get poisoned slowly over time

I'm not sure where this metaphor goes now, but it is true (maybe Kallend will post something about how Reagan stifled the lobster fisherman, or Ron can post something about Bill Clinton screwing a crayfish....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

This should be interesting, especially given Trump's attacks on Cruz.

===========
The Hill
August 03, 2016, 10:18 am
Dems ask Cruz to hold hearing on Trump's Russian hacking remarks

By Jordain Carney

A pair of Senate Democrats is pushing Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to hold a hearing on Donald Trump's call for Russia to obtain and leak Hillary Clinton's personal emails.

Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) sent a letter to Cruz Wednesday calling the GOP presidential nominee's remarks "dangerous and irresponsible."

"We ask that you conduct an oversight hearing to determine whether existing federal criminal statutes and federal court jurisdiction sufficiently address conduct related to foreign entities that could undermine our elections," they wrote.

The two senators add they specifically want Cruz to look at whether Trump, or anyone else who asks a foreign government to use a cyberattack against a political opponent, broke the law.
==============

Trump says and does enough batshit crazy stuff on a regular day. Isn't trying to manufacture a charge based on a sarcastic reference to Hillary's cover up just a bit too desperate even for this crowd?

However, a "Trumped up Charge" will have new meaning and can be a daily thing going forward.

Isn't trying to manufacture a charge based on a sarcastic reference to Hillary's cover up just a bit too desperate even for this crowd?

More like a lesson, given in the only language (legal action) that he seems to understand. If he becomes President the things he says, especially in the field of foreign relations, will mean stuff and have consequences.

I think it's going to be very difficult for him to come to that realization, therefore this is a bit of pre-emptive help:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> Isn't trying to manufacture a charge based on a sarcastic reference to Hillary's
>cover up just a bit too desperate even for this crowd?

We'll see. If they do start an investigation, let's hope they keep it to (say) half of the cost of the investigation of the manufactured Clinton charges.

billvon

let's hope they keep it to (say) half of the cost of the investigation of the manufactured Clinton charges.

yes...even if the initial investigations were reasonable, all the followups were just political manuvering to fix a political result. and this one on Trump just skips straight to trying to fix an election result. In both cases, it's a waste of money and blatantly an indicator of out of control corruption of the worst kind - or at least intent

my real issue is the frequent attempts to use government to control speech and actions - it's a bit more scary if you ignore the fact that the targets are high profile and just terrible people - and just think a bit about the abuse of authority that's being used as simply a political tool

'the ends justifying any means' is becoming common place - even with just individuals talking about politics lately - it's unnerving

Paraphrased from E.J. Dionne Jr.

Trump could falsely claim that Obama was born abroad, but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him in the eyes of the GOP.

He could call Mexican immigrants “rapists,” but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could lie repeatedly — about, for example, whether he had met Vladimir Putin and whether he had opposed the Iraq War — but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could call for a ban on Muslim immigration to the United States, but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could make degrading comments about women but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could mock people with disabilities, but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could disparage a judge but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could disparage a Gold Star mother but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

He could offer to pay for the defense of a supporter who assaulted a protester but that wasn’t enough to disqualify him.

No, it seems, all this and more were sufficiently within the bounds of acceptability for House Speaker Paul Ryan to tell delegates to the Republican National Convention that “only with Donald Trump and Mike Pence do we have a chance at a better way.”

Trump refused to endorse Ryan and McCain and suddenly the GOP is up in arms.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi John,

Only when their own jobs are on the line do they become concerned.

As I have posted before, a politician would sell their own grandmother to stay in office. Not an iota of ethics among them.

Jerry Baumchen

kallend

If I was Ryan or McCain, I'd be begging Trump not to endorse me.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

As I have posted before, a politician would sell their own grandmother to stay in office. Not an iota of ethics among them.

Jerry Baumchen

Well, except Hillary, of course.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Hi John,

Jerry Baumchen

You obviously have still not read Paul's latest sticky.

"I hope America understands that the remarks do not represent the views of our Republican Party, its officers or candidates."...

Yeah. But it kind of DOES doesn't it? Because you fucking picked him as your candidate. That's what being the nominee of your party means.

It would mean something if he actually stood up and said "I cannot recommend people vote for Donald Trump" or something similar. This is media bytes. Nothing more.

Erroll

******Hi John,

Jerry Baumchen

You obviously have still not read Paul's latest sticky.

That is a leap -

He obviously and historically supports Clinton. So in order to support and defend someone you must feel that they are of good moral fortitude. So his statement cannot refer to Hillary.

Funny how positions change so drastically. Obama said a few years ago that she wasn't fit to be president. When I brought that up, she was defended with "that's just family infighting" or something along those lines. Why would yu support a candidate, at all, if yu find them just like every ther politician.

Thus, he must think that Hillary is not as he described the rest of the politicians. I just posted the logical conclusion to clarify it for everyone else.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Hi turtle,

Thus, he must think that Hillary is not as he described the rest of the politicians.

I don't think you read so good: " . . . to stay in office."

I have read of many politicians who were very ethical prior to being elected to office. It is just that they will do whatever to hold on to the office once they have it.

Hillary is not running for re-election.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Is she my perfect choice? No; however she, IMO, can do what the job will require. Pres. Obama, who I strongly supported for both of his terms, often makes decisions that I disagree strongly with. It is the nature of the beast.

The late Oregon governor Vic Atiyeh was as ethical a man that I have ever had the opportunity to meet. I disagreed with many of his decisions while in the offices that he served.

JerryBaumchen

Hi turtle,

Thus, he must think that Hillary is not as he described the rest of the politicians.

I don't think you read so good: " . . . to stay in office."

I have read of many politicians who were very ethical prior to being elected to office. It is just that they will do whatever to hold on to the office once they have it.

Hillary is not running for re-election.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Is she my perfect choice? No; however she, IMO, can do what the job will require. Pres. Obama, who I strongly supported for both of his terms, often makes decisions that I disagree strongly with. It is the nature of the beast.

The late Oregon governor Vic Atiyeh was as ethical a man that I have ever had the opportunity to meet. I disagreed with many of his decisions while in the offices that he served.

Yu don't think there is a better option? ANYWHERE?

Hi turtle,

ANYWHERE?

While I have yet to see my ballot, I am confident on who will be listed. Oh, I could write in someone but I consider that a wasted vote.

What will you ballot have for choices?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) We know you strongly dislike her; but she is the nominee. Time to put your big boy pants on & get over it.

JerryBaumchen

Hi turtle,

ANYWHERE?

While I have yet to see my ballot, I am confident on who will be listed. Oh, I could write in someone but I consider that a wasted vote.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) We know you strongly dislike her; but she is the nominee. Time to put your big boy pants on & get over it.

4 Main candidates so far.

turtlespeed

***Hi turtle,

ANYWHERE?

Jerry Baumchen

4 Main candidates so far.

You think Jill Stein is a major candidate. Major as in, has a chance of winning?

I keep hearing about anger from the GOP leadership about Trump not supporting Ryan or McCain in their home primaries. I don't get it. Why should he not have a choice of which candidate he prefers? Both those men are openly hostile to him, so he is supporting candidates who support him. As long as he supports the eventual GOP nominee he is not stepping outside the lines.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I keep hearing about anger from the GOP leadership about Trump not supporting Ryan or McCain in their home primaries. I don't get it. Why should he not have a choice of which candidate he prefers?

Because Republican candidates feel like they don't have a choice which Presidential candidate THEY support. It has to be Trump. (This is changing, but very slowly.)

gowlerk

I keep hearing about anger from the GOP leadership about Trump not supporting Ryan or McCain in their home primaries. I don't get it. Why should he not have a choice of which candidate he prefers? Both those men are openly hostile to him, so he is supporting candidates who support him. As long as he supports the eventual GOP nominee he is not stepping outside the lines.

I don't understand why the hell any Republican would want Trump's endorsement.:S
If I were running as a Republican, I would be boasting that Trump wouldn't endorse me!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.