kallend

McCain does the right thing. How about it, McConnell?

>If I were running as a Republican, I would be boasting that Trump wouldn't endorse me!

It's starting to happen. The party is starting to fear losing Congress due to the drag of being tied to Trump - and more and more people are abandoning him.

==============
As Donald Trump Incites Feuds, Other G.O.P. Candidates Flee His Shadow

AUG. 6, 2016
NYT

After a disastrous week of feuds and plummeting poll numbers, Republican leaders have concluded that Donald J. Trump is a threat to the party’s fortunes and have begun discussing how soon their endangered candidates should explicitly distance themselves from the presidential nominee.

For Republicans in close races, top strategists say, the issue is no longer in doubt. One House Republican has already started airing an ad vowing to stand up to Mr. Trump if he is elected president, and others are expected to press similar themes in the weeks ahead.

In the world of Republican “super PACs,” strategists are going even farther: discussing advertisements that would treat Mr. Trump’s defeat as a given and urge voters to send Republicans to Congress as a check on a Hillary Clinton White House. The discussions were described by officials familiar with the deliberations, several of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity about confidential planning.
================

billvon

I keep hearing about anger from the GOP leadership about Trump not supporting Ryan or McCain in their home primaries. I don't get it. Why should he not have a choice of which candidate he prefers?

Because Republican candidates feel like they don't have a choice which Presidential candidate THEY support. It has to be Trump. (This is changing, but very slowly.)

But his nomination process is over, theirs are not. They did have a choice, and they did not choose Trump. So why should Trump support them? If they become the party nominees then Trump will support them. They have not yet earned any nomination. Trump would rather have allies to work with than enemies. This is party politics 101.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

But his nomination process is over, theirs are not. They did have a choice, and they did not choose Trump. So why should Trump support them?

Fair point. I think they feel they are "owed" support since they are the front runners, but clearly not everyone agrees.