brenthutch

Social Cost of Carbon

RonD1120

No, Ron's point has been countered.

You don't know what my point was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was this "With this and the CDC thread, you've ruined the day for kallend and billvon et al." Seems pretty straightforward to me. Was there some secret trick to it? Don't think so.

If you think that the OP in this thread said anything that would give K and BV pause, then you really have no clue what the pro-renewable energy argument is about.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

RonD1120

******With this and the CDC thread, you've ruined the day for kallend and billvon et al.:)

Your time would have been better spent reading science books than the 2,000 year old book of neolithic fables you prefer.

Truth is when it was relevant, I wasn't reading either. It was just too boring. I'd rather be doing than reading. When the Bible became important to me science played no part in my life at all. It remained boring.

I got some news for you Ron:

Science plays a huge part in your life. Boring or not, believe it or not, agree with it or not.

Drive a car? Go to the doctor? Eat food (even the stuff you grow yourself)? Even your guns are "science".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

Truth is when it was relevant, I wasn't reading either. It was just too boring. I'd rather be doing than reading. When the Bible became important to me science played no part in my life at all. It remained boring.

So lemme get this straight; you think the Internet (where you are posting right now) was created by passages in the Bible?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That is the same counter point that Winsor made some time way back. I know science is there I just have no real need to study it. I just have to know how to use it.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

billvon

>So lemme get this straight; you think the Internet (where you are posting right now)
>was created by passages in the Bible?

He didn't get the Internet from science. He got it from Best Buy.

I don't care for Best Buy. It is in the city. I don't like to go into the city. I like Tiger Direct.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

The point was a validation in esoteric humor for brenthutch.

You do know that's not a sentence, right?

Anyway, however esoteric or manifest the intention, it still demonstrated nothing but your lack of comprehension of the opposing argument.

jakee

No, Ron's point has been countered.

You don't know what my point was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was this "With this and the CDC thread, you've ruined the day for kallend and billvon et al." Seems pretty straightforward to me. Was there some secret trick to it? Don't think so.

If you think that the OP in this thread said anything that would give K and BV pause, then you really have no clue what the pro-renewable energy argument is about.

...but billvon posts a lot of information about renewables and climate change to promote that argument. Don't get me wrong - much of that information is extremely valuable. Some of his best arguments are the simple ones - like how there are better uses for oil, rather than just burning it up for fuel given the possible alternatives.

However, If there's anything in the OP that should give him pause, it would be to stop trying to spread awareness by using arbitrary alarmist bullshit. A large part of the article talked about how the SCC was calculated. One year it's about $30 per ton, but then several years later it all of a sudden doubles - and BV has used that information coming from the agencies listed in the OP to support his argument.

Now he may say, "well, with better science, we gain a deeper understanding of the problem and can formulate better models that give us more accurate figures." - fine, but you'll still need a period of consistency in order for that to become more reliable.

...and it's not just stuff like that. I think the last time I talked with him about climate change, he was posting all these ridiculous heat indexes of 165F or 175F not realizing (or deliberately ignoring) that the charts and calculators he linked to specially stated that numbers out side of the range listed are meaningless - and they were. He was just simply using them to alarm people.

If one has to insult the intelligence of others in order to promote their argument, then perhaps it really isn't as strong as they think.

I just don't see how it helps the cause in the long run. . .

. . . as for Kallend, I think Ron was obviously referring to the CDC thread that lists plenty to give him pause - no explanation needed there.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

British Columbia tree-hitters have been doing some mighty silly things in the name of "carbon capture."
First, they try to tax carbon-generating fuels, but then they just put the "carbon tax" in general revenues.
I might respect a carbon tax if the money went directly to tree-hugging or non-polluting transportation (e.g. Electric city trollies).

Another carbon-capture scam involves pumping waste carbon dioxide down depleted oil wells to squeeze out the last few barrels of oil! Holy copying the tree-nuggets to increase oil company profits!
Hee!
Hee!

Finally, we are not going to drill for the last barrel of oil because it will be too deep and too far off-shore. As oil becomes scarce and prohibitively expensive, the rich will still be able to afford Lamborginis while poor folks will be stuck driving gas-guzzling old V8s.

The rich will be able to afford two or three different cars to help convey the appropriate image to whichever clients they are meeting that. Lamborginis to impress bold customers. Lexus for conservative, wealthy customers and an electric car for meeting tree-huggers.

Meanwhile, the working class (e.g. construction workers) need a large truck to carry them to construction sites off the main transit lines. They need a big truck to lock up all their tools but they cannot afford the latest and most fuel-efficient vehicles so drive huge, tired old beaters that consume great gallons of gasoline.

jakee

***The point was a validation in esoteric humor for brenthutch.

It is in America. subject-verb-object

Anyway, however esoteric or manifest the intention, it still demonstrated nothing but your lack of comprehension of the opposing argument.

My post was the first response the argument had not begun.

You know that grammatical structure isn't the only requirement for having a sentence that means something, right?

And, as I hope for your sake you realised, I meant the opposing argument in general. As in, the position you imagine that those other posters hold, the reason why you fantasised that their days had been ruined.

jakee

And, as I hope for your sake you realised, I meant the opposing argument in general. As in, the position you imagine that those other posters hold, the reason why you fantasised that their days had been ruined.

Even in noting your misspellings, I will enlighten you by stating your premise was not my reason for posting.

Have a great weekend. I wish you well as you hopefully prepare for the upcoming turmoil.

I wish you well as you hopefully prepare for the upcoming turmoil.

The turmoil is only in your mind and soul. Nothing of significance has changed today. Your much hoped for increased level of suffering for humanity will not occur. Just the same as it has always not occurred before. God whispered in my ear.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Anachronist

Hey guys, I'm a scientist (not joking), I can answer these questions. Ask away, please be specific and I can give links to primary literature.

Awww, no one wants to come play when someone throws down some intellectual authority and offers to back it up with primary sources [:/]

>Awww, no one wants to come play when someone throws down some intellectual
>authority and offers to back it up with primary sources . . .

Not really; this is Speaker's Corner. Now, if you had some dubious slander about Clinton or Cruz, that would be more in line with what people want here.

billvon

>Awww, no one wants to come play when someone throws down some intellectual
>authority and offers to back it up with primary sources . . .

Not really; this is Speaker's Corner. Now, if you had some dubious slander about Clinton or Cruz, that would be more in line with what people want here.

Sounds about right :S

RonD1120

******The point was a validation in esoteric humor for brenthutch.

Bzzzzt. The languange is English and "was" is a linking verb, which therefore takes a subject complement, not an object.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********The point was a validation in esoteric humor for brenthutch.

Only to a Brit. Like I said, American.

Neither of the above statements is a sentence. Do you understand what they mean or would you like for me to write an essay on vernacular communication?

Bzzzzt. The languange is English and "was" is a linking verb, which therefore takes a subject complement, not an object.

RonD1120

************The point was a validation in esoteric humor for brenthutch.

Only to a Brit. Like I said, American.

Neither of the above statements is a sentence. Do you understand what they mean or would you like for me to write an essay on vernacular communication?

Being ignorant is one thing. Celebrating ignorance is something else altogether.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

***>So lemme get this straight; you think the Internet (where you are posting right now)
>was created by passages in the Bible?

He didn't get the Internet from science. He got it from Best Buy.

I don't care for Best Buy. It is in the city. I don't like to go into the city. I like Tiger Direct.

Why are you supporting a Californian company? Are you some kind of communist?