turtlespeed

Holy Crap - The Irony.. .

rifleman

Given equal time - Allah will win that battle.

Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. It doesn't matter whether the person saying it is Muslim or Christian. If they're Arabic and praying in their own language (and why wouldn't they?) they'll use the word Allah to refer to God, irrespective of their religion.

Which is exactly why I wrote it the way I did.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

rifleman

Given equal time - Allah will win that battle.

Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. It doesn't matter whether the person saying it is Muslim or Christian. If they're Arabic and praying in their own language (and why wouldn't they?) they'll use the word Allah to refer to God, irrespective of their religion.

Not exactly.

'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine. There is a huge significance at the origins of Islam between the two, with the temples devoted to alLah and to alLat vying for their respective faithful.

Adherents to alLah sought an authoritarian, unforgiving and downright vicious sonofabitch to run things, while followers of alLat sought warmth and acceptances. Apparently the priestesses of alLat were viewed as prostitutes by followers of alLah, since their rituals tended to include some sort of happy ending.

At any rate, Muhammad co-opted the monotheism he encountered in Hebrew communities he visited along the trade routes and gave primacy to followers of alLah.

Btw, the name ('haShem') in Hebrew of the Judeo Christian deity was/is NEVER spoken by anyone but Kohainem in The Temple (which is defunct) once a year when it existed - when verbalized, it does not resemble "Jehovah." The tetragrammaton (yod heh vav heh) is a placeholder, and "Adonai" is used instead.

In any event, the invisible friend of the Muslims is not the same invisible friend of the Hebrews, who is different from the invisible friend of the Christians. Different names, different magick.

BSBD,

Winsor

>'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine.

And in Christianity, we have Yaweh, Elohim, El, YHWH, Kyrios, Lord, Jehovah, Father and Theos. All meaning basically the same thing, with minor distinctions.

And of course at some point we broke it down to three parts, all of which are very different. In Christianity, Christ is the friendly supportive one of the three, but they are all lumped together under the heading "God."

>In any event, the invisible friend of the Muslims is not the same invisible friend of the
>Hebrews, who is different from the invisible friend of the Christians.

And the invisible friend of the Protestants is different (slightly) from the invisible friend of the Catholics, which is a bit different from the invisible friend of the church of LDS. And sometimes it's three, but it's sort of one.

But they are all talking about what is basically the same thing, no matter what name they put on their religion or their God.

billvon

>'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine.

And in Christianity, we have Yaweh, Elohim, El, YHWH, Kyrios, Lord, Jehovah, Father and Theos. All meaning basically the same thing, with minor distinctions.

And of course at some point we broke it down to three parts, all of which are very different. In Christianity, Christ is the friendly supportive one of the three, but they are all lumped together under the heading "God."

>In any event, the invisible friend of the Muslims is not the same invisible friend of the

And the invisible friend of the Protestants is different (slightly) from the invisible friend of the Catholics, which is a bit different from the invisible friend of the church of LDS. And sometimes it's three, but it's sort of one.

But they are all talking about what is basically the same thing, no matter what name they put on their religion or their God.

You're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you.

winsor

***>'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine.

they do though!

He keeps hearing "Emm Oh Oh Enn spells Moon!"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

******>

they do though!

shucks, mine just keep telling me to burn things

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

*********>

they do though!

shucks, mine just keep telling me to burn things

Sorry, that was just a shameless quip of the miniseries "The Stand".:)

winsor

***>'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine.

They talk to all of us, through Ron.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rifleman

Right, but if an english speaking American uses the word Allah to refer to their God, (such as an African American ex-con) you can place your wager on Islam.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

winsor

In any event, the invisible friend of the Muslims is not the same invisible friend of the Hebrews, who is different from the invisible friend of the Christians. Different names, different magick.

While I can appreciate the agony of classifying the minutiae of a bastardized God - in the end, it's still the same bastardized God - the God of your dysfunctional ancestors.

While I can appreciate the agony of classifying the minutiae of a bastardized God - in the end, it's still the same bastardized God - the God of your dysfunctional ancestors.

Yep. And we all have the same dysfunctional ancestors.

billvon

Yep. And we all have the same dysfunctional ancestors.

Oy vey. . .we're only but mere gentile dogs!

kallend

******>'al Lah' means 'the god' - masculine, and 'al Lat' means 'the god' - feminine.

They talk to all of us, through Ron.

IMO, Coreeece and maadmax do a much better job than I. They are more even tempered and articulate.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

IMO, Coreeece and maadmax do a much better job than I. They are more even tempered and articulate.

Meh, you should see some of my drunk posts. I'm sure God is more pleased with your consistent faith and sobriety. My posting history merely consists of the musings of a twenty-something year old apathetic Catholic/atheist on an emotional roller coaster through the thirty-something year-old rants of a bitter Christian, lol. . .

"Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult." - C. S. Lewis

Coreeece

***IMO, Coreeece and maadmax do a much better job than I. They are more even tempered and articulate.

Meh, you should see some of my drunk posts. I'm sure God is more pleased with your consistent faith and sobriety. My posting history merely consists of the musings of a twenty-something year old apathetic Catholic/atheist on an emotional roller coaster through the thirty-something year-old rants of a bitter Christian, lol. . .

"Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult." - C. S. Lewis

I hear that. My 30-40 decade was a bizarre and troubling time. Then I found Christ and 40-65 was a blast. I have been cruising along since. If it wasn't for the progressive liberal agenda bringing about the downfall of my beloved country, life would be almost perfect.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******IMO, Coreeece and maadmax do a much better job than I. They are more even tempered and articulate.

I hear that. My 30-40 decade was a bizarre and troubling time. Then I found Christ and 40-65 was a blast. I have been cruising along since. If it wasn't for the progressive liberal agenda bringing about the downfall of my beloved country, life would be almost perfect.

I bet things were great, really really great, when you were a kid.

Jim Crow
KKK lynchings
"Back of the Bus" for blacks
Separate drinking fountains
Separate and unequal schools
Air and water pollution with no controls in place
No worker safety regulations
Women locked out of most high paying jobs
Birth control illegal in many states
Joe McCarthy

Then those damn progressives came along and spoiled it for you.

kallend

*********IMO, Coreeece and maadmax do a much better job than I. They are more even tempered and articulate.

I bet things were great, really really great, when you were a kid.

Jim Crow
KKK lynchings
"Back of the Bus" for blacks
Separate drinking fountains
Separate and unequal schools
Air and water pollution with no controls in place
No worker safety regulations
Women locked out of most high paying jobs
Birth control illegal in many states
Joe McCarthy

Then those damn progressives came along and spoiled it for you.

I lived in the country and was not aware of any of those things. It wasn't until I was in university following my military service that the progressive liberals forced all that on me.

I do remember McCarthyism. He was against Communists in America and that was good. He screwed up when he faked that photograph, I found out later at university.

If you were living in the country and were unaware of things like discrimination, the KKK, Jim Crow, illegal birth control, lack of worker safety, lack of jobs for women, it's because you were living in a thoroughly homogeneous enclave (kind of like you are now), but too young to be aware of the real world. Or you were OK with those things, because they only impacted you in a positive manner.

The fact that people had opportunities denied so that others could have them (based on race, gender, religion, or Moose lodge membership) is relevant. Not just to the people who have now gained access to markets that were previously closed to them, but also to people who think of that gain as a loss on their part.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The fact that people had opportunities denied so that others could have them (based on race, gender, religion, or Moose lodge membership) is relevant. Not just to the people who have now gained access to markets that were previously closed to them, but also to people who think of that gain as a loss on their part.

Wendy P.

From my perspective, the most brief yet cogent statement I have encountered in a long time. Thank you.

John

RonD1120

I lived in the country and was not aware of any of those things. It wasn't until I was in university following my military service that the progressive liberals forced all that on me.

I do remember McCarthyism. He was against Communists in America and that was good. He screwed up when he faked that photograph, I found out later at university.

So "progressive liberals" forced you to understand how privileged you were?
They forced you to realize how badly people unlike you were treated?

And while being "against communism" could be a good thing, the way he trampled on people rights in doing so made the "cure worse than the disease" (far, far worse).
The tactics and techniques used by him were far more reminiscent of a totalitarian dictatorship (like maybe the Soviet Union) than the US and it's stated rules.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I lived in the country and was not aware of any of those things.

Because you enjoy ignorance.

It wasn't until I was in university following my military service that the progressive liberals forced all that on me.

Telling you about it is forcing it on you?

Do you feel that you force christianity onto people?

He screwed up way wors than that.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

RonD1120

It wasn't until I was in university following my military service that the progressive liberals forced all that on me.

If you wanted to remain in blissful ignorance, why did you go to university?