ryoder

"We don't dial 911"

turtlespeed

***Some people just don't bother to read the signs: http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/dont-miss/113883691-story

Zip ties and a radio? WTF?

Zip ties to tie people up. Radio to comunicate with accomplice, or to monitor police coms.
Typical home invasion. For what end reason only he knows.>:(
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

See, this type of gun ownership I understand. Not only that, I'd do the same - or at least I think I would.

But you don't need a mini-gun to protect your home. And you don't need to carry a gun all of the time when you're in public to have options. And the people who should be allowed to own a gun for home protection should be suitably vetted, required to have guns secured, and have a limitation on what they can own.

The gun ownership has never been an all-or-nothing debate for me. Just the politics makes it that, which guarantees that nothing will ever change.

yoink

See, this type of gun ownership I understand. Not only that, I'd do the same - or at least I think I would.

But you don't need a mini-gun to protect your home. And you don't need to carry a gun all of the time when you're in public to have options. And the people who should be allowed to own a gun for home protection should be suitably vetted, required to have guns secured, and have a limitation on what they can own.

The gun ownership has never been an all-or-nothing debate for me. Just the politics makes it that, which guarantees that nothing will ever change.

How much time does it take to retrieve a properly secured weapon?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

Depends on your personal choice of methods to secure it I expect.

stashing your gun unmounted with the parts secured in separate safes, each safe being in a different room might be a tad too long. Stashing your loaded gun in your baby's pram might not be secure enough.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

normiss

Depends on your personal choice of methods to secure it I expect.

That was my thought as well.

Who dictates what proper security is?

If that security is not in pace - and an accident happens, I can see culpability on the gun owner.

On the other hand, if the mandated security measures are too time consuming for immediate action, who is at fault then?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It's an interesting question and not one I can answer, because I'm not an expert.

There ARE experts out there though and I suspect they'd come up with a reasonable range of options if people could dissociate the politics with the practicality.

But on that day, Satan would skate to work.

yoink

It's an interesting question and not one I can answer, because I'm not an expert.

There ARE experts out there though and I suspect they'd come up with a reasonable range of options if people could dissociate the politics with the practicality.

But on that day, Satan would skate to work.

Rollerblades?

turtlespeed

***See, this type of gun ownership I understand. Not only that, I'd do the same - or at least I think I would.

With practice, well less than a second.

winsor

******See, this type of gun ownership I understand. Not only that, I'd do the same - or at least I think I would.

With practice, well less than a second.

From a locked safe, behind a locked cabinet, behind a locked closet door, behind a closed door, on the other side of the house?

Some people would have you need to rebuild the weapon from its individual parts and still claim it isn't properly stored.

My argument is that if a person or committee takes responsibility for dictating the level of "secure" are they willing to take responsibility for inability to access the weapon in time.

>Why are you storing it like that??

There are advantages to criminals/toddlers not knowing where your weapons are; they are thus inaccessible. (Needless to say, this benefit is reduced somewhat by discussing where they are on the internet.)

NewGuy2005

***For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

Wow. Why are you storing it like that??

On the upside, that positively ensures no one can find it.:)On the downside, it makes it a real PITA to go target shooting on a weekly basis.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

raftman

For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

The perp is getting in your house, he has zip ties and a radio and a gun - and t
He's between you and your guns.

What now?

turtlespeed

***For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

The perp is getting in your house, he has zip ties and a radio and a gun - and t

What now?

The perp walks up behind you and shoots you in the head before you even know he is there.

What now?

Nothing is perfect and a scenario can always be dreamt up in which something doesn't work. Life is all about balancing risks, possibilities, probabilities and severity.

SkyDekker

******For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

What now?

The perp walks up behind you and shoots you in the head before you even know he is there.

What now?

Nothing is perfect and a scenario can always be dreamt up in which something doesn't work. Life is all about balancing risks, possibilities, probabilities and severity.

Well, except I was using a real scenario, for guns sealed in behind drywall

turtlespeed

*********For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

What now?

What now?

Are you saying nobody has ever walked up to somebody and shot them before they realized what was happening?

turtlespeed

that scenario applies to guns sealed behind drywall

it also applies to guns sitting on a nightstand, in the silverware drawer, in the water tank of the toilet, in the garage, in the gunsafe, in a toybox, taped under the dining room table, and under my pillow

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

turtlespeed

*********For me, it will take less than 5 seconds to punch/kick a hole through a thin, painted over plasterboard wall to gain access to a loaded weapon. I am the only one that knows it's there!

What now?

What now?

Do you always have your gun on you when you're at home, or do you have so many guns stashed around the house that you could never be cut off from them by one or more intruders?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

This really sucks: http://news.yahoo.com/seven-charged-home-invasion-murder-u-lottery-winner-171504900.html

I've long thought making the names of lottery winners public, is just painting a huge bullseye on them.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

raftman

OK If I'm not home and someone breaks in they will never find it.
If I am at home when someone breaks in, the alarm and the dogs will go off, buying me the time I need.

Quite frankly I thought it was a rather smart idea......Turtle is the one that needed the extra info ;)