jgoose71

Obama's call to repeal "Due Process"

In his nation wide call for "no fly, no buy" he forgot one little detail.....

Trey Gowdey is the man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDcd1Fe5lg

Keep in mind there are over 700,000 on the no fly list. Half of them are on for arbitrary reasons like buying one way tickets like Journalist Steve Hayes. Others have included, toddlers, high ranking officers in the US military and members of the DHS...
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Most people on the no-fly list with redress numbers have been vetted and re-vetted to a faretheewell. However, had Obama not suggested this, some blogosphere pundit would have called him on not suggesting it, and everyone would be all over that one.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

So the gun lobby is concerned that even 'one' citizen that is on the no-fly list that might not get a gun because that violates their rights, yet the same right wing conservatives will go to extreme lengths to pass legislation so that thousands and thousands of citizens can no longer vote.

got it.

If only the 'fervor' was so evenly applied....

tkhayes

funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

So the gun lobby is concerned that even 'one' citizen that is on the no-fly list that might not get a gun because that violates their rights, yet the same right wing conservatives will go to extreme lengths to pass legislation so that thousands and thousands of citizens can no longer vote.

got it.

If only the 2nd amendment was treated like voting rights.

To exercise my constitutionally protected right to bear arms I had to pay the government a fee, get finger printed, have my information ran through several data bases, show a level of competence and training, and then had to wait several weeks for the results. Mind you, my process was expedited because I'm a veteran.

Yep, if this process is OK for one constitutionally protected right, it should be OK for the rest of them.

Here TK, lets also put this level of scrutiny on the 1st amendment. Wear a ball gag until you pay a fee and are properly vetted on the off chance you might yell fire in a crowded theater. You can take it off in the privacy of your own home as long as you don't post on the internet...

As far as the "one" person on the know fly list, I'm not sure where you got that information, but we all know it's a flat out lie.

Seriously, does anyone know what criteria lands you on that thing and how to get off of it? Seems to a secret shrouded in mystery wrapped in an enigma... or enema.... your choice.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

wmw999

However, had Obama not suggested this, some blogosphere pundit would have called him on not suggesting it, and everyone would be all over that one.

Wendy P.

Huh?

The president should say things he knows can't be done to keep people posting on the Internet from talking bad about him? :S

Could possibly understand saying something like, "There's been a lot of discussion about... but here's why it's not viable:"

Then again, would like to think our elected officials would basically ignore any nonconstitutional suggestions from the extremes of either party.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

NewGuy2005

Is there no due process for getting removed from the No Fly List?

From the video I posted above I guess there is a process, but no, there is no due process. Rumor has it you can petition to have your name remove, if you can figure out how.

Sounds like an awesome thing to attach your constitutionally protected rights to, doesn't it?

Hi Wendy!

wmw999

Most people on the no-fly list with redress numbers have been vetted and re-vetted to a faretheewell.

Wendy P.

Where did you find that information? The only thing I could find was that if you did something that raised suspicion (say, bought a one way ticket to Syria) you could get your name added.

Mind you, I also don't think anyone knows what the actual triggers are. Can you assist?

jgoose71

Is there no due process for getting removed from the No Fly List?

From the video I posted above I guess there is a process, but no, there is no due process. Rumor has it you can petition to have your name remove, if you can figure out how.

Sounds like an awesome thing to attach your constitutionally protected rights to, doesn't it?

Jack Harris, WV born, Vietnam veteran, college grad, talk show host on 970AM Tampa, bemoans being placed on the no-fly list shortly after 9/11. He does not know why. His work necessitates frequent air travel. It took him a long time to get off the list. I do not know all the details. He just jokes about now and then during show banter.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

tkhayes

got it.

How about:
Show ID to buy a gun....show ID to vote. What could be more fair?

brenthutch

***funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

got it.

How about:

With the corollary: "One person, only one vote. One person, only one gun". Fair?

aphid

******funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

got it.

How about:

With the corollary: "One person, only one vote. One person, only one gun". Fair?

Why not. You get to vote twice a year, you get to purchase firearms twice a year.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

got it.

How about:

Why not. You get to vote twice a year, you get to purchase firearms twice a year.

and in Chicago, your dead uncles can also buy you a gun 3 or 4 times a year

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

************funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

got it.

How about:

and in Chicago, your dead uncles can also buy you a gun 3 or 4 times a year

That's Chicago, where everything is honorable, and just.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>and in Chicago, your dead uncle can also buy you a gun 3 or 4 times a year

Well, Uncle Huey isn't dead yet. But he _could_ be, if you catch my drift, if a certain ungrateful nephew doesn't shut his big yap over how helpful ol' Huey is. If you know what I mean. Wouldn't want anything to happen to him.

billvon

>and in Chicago, your dead uncle can also buy you a gun 3 or 4 times a year

Well, Uncle Huey isn't dead yet. But he _could_ be, if you catch my drift, if a certain ungrateful nephew doesn't shut his big yap over how helpful ol' Huey is. If you know what I mean. Wouldn't want anything to happen to him.

That would be sad. But it's Chicago. . . What can you expect?

aphid

******funny, we do not seem to have the same regard when we take away voting rights for legal citizens that should be allowed to vote.

got it.

How about:

Now your talking! One gun every two years. I could live with that!

brenthutch

Reading, while it may be fundamental, is nothing compared to understanding, which is imperative.

I understand your love of guns. Would that you could afford others with dissimilar affections an equal courtesy...

John

aphid

Reading, while it may be fundamental, is nothing compared to understanding, which is imperative.

I understand your love of guns. Would that you could afford others with dissimilar affections an equal courtesy...

John
If those "dissimilar affections" were protected by the Constitution......

aphid

John

You asked the guy if one person, one gun was fair. He then countered your proposal. How is that not "equal courtesy?"

I dunno, perhaps maybe "equal courtesy" to you means that your proposal is fair enough - the end all say all. Any counter proposal - no matter how reasonable - is discourteous!

If a gun control advocate proposed to limit purchasing power to one gun every other year, you'd be applauding him.

I dunno, I suppose he could withdraw his proposal and just keep it like it is - as many guns that he wants, whenever he wants them.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

aphid

John

Fine. Those that don't want to buy guns, don't have to. We won't even have a penalty fee... err, tax for those that don't. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

John

Fine. Those that don't want to buy guns, don't have to. We won't even have a penalty fee... err, tax for those that don't. :P

If you like your gun, you can keep your gun, if you like your magazine, you can keep your magazine.

Which has been true for the time Obama has been in office I believe.

The NRA has done a mighty fine job convincing many idiots that wasn't the case though, making them go out and buy guns and ammunition.

Cause guns are a motherfucking right, healthcare is just a mere privilege. That is how you build a fine society, let them shoot each other and then bankrupt themselves on the medical bills.

America, fuck yeah!

SkyDekker

Which has been true for the time Obama has been in office I believe.

The NRA has done a mighty fine job convincing many idiots that wasn't the case though, making them go out and buy guns and ammunition.

Cause guns are a motherfucking right, healthcare is just a mere privilege. That is how you build a fine society, let them shoot each other and then bankrupt themselves on the medical bills.

America, fuck yeah!

If you don't like it, you don't have to be here.:)