RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

Glad you're happy with your experience. Within days of graduating high school, I passed the city limit sign of my small town with plans to return to visit as damn little as possible.

A small sub 10k population US town with decreasing population and no real industry/business to retain people is "reverse Darwinsm" in action. The best and brightest leave town after school never to return. You're left with the less talented and after a few decades of this process, the little town is far from a Norman Rockwell painting.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

How about this one?

Tennis star, standing outside his hotel, supposedly looks like someone in an Instagram pic.

Cop runs up and takes him down. No warning, no identification, no nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us/tennis-james-blake-tackled-by-nypd/

The "whole story" is out. The cops claim "mistaken identification."
But the cop that did it is a subject in two excessive force lawsuits.
Go figure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

Try a different town.

I've been threatened with tickets for a cop not even knowing the law.
I am NOT required to carry insurance on a motorcycle in this state and he has no right to ask for proof. Of course the threat of a dick cop did cause me to show it. He was moved to to a non patrol position.

Exactly. My last interaction: I'm a middle aged businessman sitting in an S-Class Mercedes with my wife (I don't think I really fit the demographic of the local miscreants).

However, after seeing how the office spoke to me, my wife asked "why is he acting in that manner"? I said "look around, do you see any business or industry here; traffic tickets to people like us are seemingly their sole income.

But really, it's not the fine (i.e. extortion) it's their Bill Bob Badass approach to human interaction.

Never said there are not a few ahole cops. There's some ahole skydivers too, wouldn't you agree? Aholes in all walks of life.
This particular incident-still open. Afraid I don't have your all knowing ability.

I sure would love to see all the folk so critical go work as a cop and show us how to do it right!!!!! (And you still make it home in one piece at the end of your shift)

I’ve lived in NY & Chicago; I know how the large city DZs are hotbeds of corruption and cover-up. I’ve also lived in small-town America and seen the genetic detritus that constitutes the local DZ of your average hick town.

Sounds kinda ridiculous put that way eh?;)

On our drive to Atlanta yesterday we saw a LOT of unmarked cop cars all over south Georgia on I75.
I made the comment that in today's environment that I couldn't pull over for an unmarked car. My wife agreed.
We decided if it ever happens that we dial 911, inform them of the situation and ask for the address of the nearest cop shop.
I've seen enough people killed by cops for doing what the cop told them to do.

bigbearfng

I sure would love to see all the folk so critical go work as a cop and show us how to do it right!!!!!

I'm not armchair quarterbacking. I don't have the level of patience to be a policeman. I watch our Metropolitan Police in London and am in awe of their professionalism (not saying I could do it myself; I'm saying I've seen policing being done properly for the last 25 years).

I'm openly/loudly critical when something is bad (I think British Telecom is a shit circus and the BBC is goddamn waste of time/money), but I feel fortunate to have a police force of the Met's calibre and feel sad seeing Americans abused by their police forces who are supposed to protect them.

wolfriverjoe

How about this one?

Tennis star, standing outside his hotel, supposedly looks like someone in an Instagram pic.

Cop runs up and takes him down. No warning, no identification, no nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us/tennis-james-blake-tackled-by-nypd/

The "whole story" is out. The cops claim "mistaken identification."
But the cop that did it is a subject in two excessive force lawsuits.
Go figure.

I've been curious about that one. What are the rules on defending yourself from a plain-clothed officer attacking you?

Of course, if they're wearing their uniform, your obliged to accept the beating/shooting/tasing they're providing.

But this example; what if the guy grabbed the policeman and beat him till he couldn't walk? All he knows is that some random nutcase has tackled him in the street; he doesn't know it's a policeman.

normiss

On our drive to Atlanta yesterday we saw a LOT of unmarked cop cars all over south Georgia on I75.
I made the comment that in today's environment that I couldn't pull over for an unmarked car. My wife agreed.
We decided if it ever happens that we dial 911, inform them of the situation and ask for the address of the nearest cop shop.
I've seen enough people killed by cops for doing what the cop told them to do.

Very reasonable if it's an unmarked trying to pull you over as there has been criminals impersonating an officer cases, but not sure what your last sentence would have to do with that situation....
Old advice below that still holds true:

Warning: If you suspect that the person trying to pull you over is not a police officer (for example, he or she is driving an unmarked car), you do not have to immediately pull over. Instead, put your flashers on, indicate that you acknowledge the ‘officer’s” presence by waving at him, continue driving at the speed limit towards a busy, well-lit area, and call 911. Inform the 911 dispatcher that you are worried that someone posing as a police officer is trying to pull you over. Tell the dispatcher your current location and direction of travel as well as the make and model of your car. Do not get out of your car until the 911 dispatcher can confirm that person trying to pull you over is a real police officer. If the dispatcher cannot confirm that the person, carefully drive to a safe place such as your local police station and follow all of the dispatcher’s additional instructions.

quade

I'm not going to attempt to excuse the bad behavior of some, but, the police in the US operate in different conditions than police in most other 1st world countries.

In some place like GB, the police are better armed than the populace. The police also have the benefit of a generally more subservient culture.

By contrast, the US is essentially based on the concept of, "FU, don't tell me what to do."

I'd be more than a little paranoid as a cop in the US too. My guess is the concept of taking control first and asking questions later is more evolutionary based thinking; basic survival.

For a three centuries.. the English managed to get more subservient types at home by dumping anyone not good at bending knee or kissing arse to their colonies

RMK

***I sure would love to see all the folk so critical go work as a cop and show us how to do it right!!!!!

I'm not armchair quarterbacking. I don't have the level of patience to be a policeman. I watch our Metropolitan Police in London and am in awe of their professionalism (not saying I could do it myself; I'm saying I've seen policing being done properly for the last 25 years).

I'm openly/loudly critical when something is bad (I think British Telecom is a shit circus and the BBC is goddamn waste of time/money), but I feel fortunate to have a police force of the Met's calibre and feel sad seeing Americans abused by their police forces who are supposed to protect them.

Hmmm, seems the Met's have some aholes too?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/g20-police-assault-ian-tomlinson

Amazon

***I'm not going to attempt to excuse the bad behavior of some, but, the police in the US operate in different conditions than police in most other 1st world countries.

In some place like GB, the police are better armed than the populace. The police also have the benefit of a generally more subservient culture.

By contrast, the US is essentially based on the concept of, "FU, don't tell me what to do."

I'd be more than a little paranoid as a cop in the US too. My guess is the concept of taking control first and asking questions later is more evolutionary based thinking; basic survival.

For a three centuries.. the English managed to get more subservient types at home by dumping anyone not good at bending knee or kissing arse to their colonies

To all the posts that represent Britain as this society not having any real criminals/deviants, those of us who live here would love that it was true.

However, the reality is not all "sipping tea in our English gardens".

bigbearfng

Hmmm, seems the Met's have some aholes too?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/g20-police-assault-ian-tomlinson

I lived in the US for near twenty years; how long have you lived in the UK?

The Guardian is a pretty shit newspaper; ask some of the other UK posters here.

Google police brutality for the US, then do the same for the UK (multiply UK number x6 to account for population difference) then tell me what you find.

RMK

***Again-before jumping to conclusions-where's the beginning of the incident. What happened up to that point?

In many instances, we don't need to see what led up to a situation to know it is wrong to:

- punch an elderly women over 15 times when you already have her on the ground any you’re a large male in excess of 200 lbs.

- press the knee and full bodyweight of a large adult male into the back of 14yr old girl in a bikini at a children’s pool party.

- slam an elderly gentleman face first into the ground, when he did nothing but not understand English

- shoot people in the back as run away (common occurrence of late)

- shoot at cars when you don’t know who is in them

- kick a pregnant woman

- tackle and slam to the ground a person you “think” is the suspect (saying “my bad” after the event doesn’t make up for the error).

- turn an incident of a 14yr old jaywalking into an event requiring 10 cops ...

If you don’t have the self control and professionalism to not snap and “lose your shit” if someone makes even the slightest verbal slur to you – you should not be in law enforcement.

I’ve lived in NY & Chicago; I know how the large city police departments are hotbeds of corruption and cover-up. I’ve also lived in small-town America and seen the genetic detritus that constitutes the local police force of your average hick town.

Do you know if any of that happened before this video started? Who are you to assume that the kid did not start a physical altercation with the cop before the video started?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Is this a "Devils Advocate" query or do you think is how one should handle a 14yr old jaywalker.

Here's another. I don't know what happened before the video starts rolling on this one, but I believe this to be excessive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcCN5C7UBx0

your thoughts?

Anvilbrother

******Again-before jumping to conclusions-where's the beginning of the incident. What happened up to that point?

In many instances, we don't need to see what led up to a situation to know it is wrong to:

- punch an elderly women over 15 times when you already have her on the ground any you’re a large male in excess of 200 lbs.

- press the knee and full bodyweight of a large adult male into the back of 14yr old girl in a bikini at a children’s pool party.

- slam an elderly gentleman face first into the ground, when he did nothing but not understand English

- kick a pregnant woman

- tackle and slam to the ground a person you “think” is the suspect (saying “my bad” after the event doesn’t make up for the error).

If you don’t have the self control and professionalism to not snap and “lose your shit” if someone makes even the slightest verbal slur to you – you should not be in law enforcement.

I’ve lived in NY & Chicago; I know how the large city police departments are hotbeds of corruption and cover-up. I’ve also lived in small-town America and seen the genetic detritus that constitutes the local police force of your average hick town.

Do you know if any of that happened before this video started? Who are you to assume that the kid did not start a physical altercation with the cop before the video started?

What might that be? The fat cop was folding up that young guy, which was on his back .... giving up already.

Then it needed 4 big dudes to smash the kid down. And some other cops were *protecting* the scene (from observers possibly filming the scene?).

dudeist skydiver # 3105

RMK

Is this a "Devils Advocate" query or do you think is how one should handle a 14yr old jaywalker.

Here's another. I don't know what happened before the video starts rolling on this one, but I believe this to be excessive:

your thoughts?

I'm not gonna watch your clickbait videos, we are talking about this video from the first post. IF the kid simply jaywalked and the cop said hey fuck you kid, threw him against the planter, pinned him down and hit him with the club without any provocation like the kid charging at him, hitting him then yes, but we don't have a fucking clue because we don't know what happened before the video started so all the posts you have posted above is nothing but irrelevant circlejerk cop hating.

So I will ask you again do you or normiss who did the same thing already know what happened before this video started?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

christelsabine

*********Again-before jumping to conclusions-where's the beginning of the incident. What happened up to that point?

- kick a pregnant woman

What might that be? The fat cop was folding up that young guy, which was on his back .... giving up already.

Then it needed 4 big dudes to smash the kid down. And some other cops were *protecting* the scene (from observers possibly filming the scene?).

Ok you people keep jumping to conclusions without the entire story...smh

For the record if the entire story does turn out to be abuse then I am with you, but it is stupid to be blowing up over this right now with a click bait video and half a story. You would figure after jumping to conclusions on another post a few weeks back and having to eat crow people around here would be more reserved about stories like this.

RMK

To all the posts that represent Britain as this society not having any real criminals/deviants, those of us who live here would love that it was true.

However, the reality is not all "sipping tea in our English gardens".

I don't believe anyone said The UK didn't have any. That said, yours is a society rooted in the class system and people do tend to be more subservient.

YOU HAVE A FUCKING QUEEN. While I'll admit there are some in the UK who are fed up with it, there seem to be an awful lot who think it's just fine to nearly deify a person simply because of their lineage.

That doesn't fly in the US where "all men are created equal" (minus those counted as 3/5ths).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anvilbrother

***Is this a "Devils Advocate" query or do you think is how one should handle a 14yr old jaywalker.

your thoughts?

I'm not gonna watch your clickbait videos, we are talking about this video from the first post. IF the kid simply jaywalked and the cop said hey fuck you kid, threw him against the planter, pinned him down and hit him with the club without any provocation like the kid charging at him, hitting him then yes, but we don't have a fucking clue because we don't know what happened before the video started so all the posts you have posted above is nothing but irrelevant circlejerk cop hating.

So I will ask you again do you or normiss who did the same thing already know what happened before this video started?

I’m sorry if you are reading comprehension challenged. The first post noted events like this (I wrote it). I gave a mix of other examples in a later post, then another specific video above. The post is a generalist discussion on US policing styles and the high incidence of abuse.

According to the witness who videoed the encounter, the kid had just got off a bus. You can see in the background in the video that this happened at a bus stop, and the buses are stopping several feet out from the sidewalk.

From the Huffington Post article:
"He barely stepped out of the bus he was 2 feet away from the sidewalk when the cop stopped him for jaywalking,"Avendaño wrote. "The kid took off the cop's hand off his arm so the cop took out his baton & that's when I started recording because everything happened too quick.

Maybe the cop didn't see the kid had just got off the bus, or maybe he thought the kid was too slow in getting to the sidewalk. Who knows, maybe the cop's camera will show the initial stages of the encounter, though by the time Mr. Avendano started filming the cop's camera was on the ground.

If the bus lets you off in the street, is that jaywalking?

Don

http://www.bjs.gov/.../pub/pdf/ardpatr.pdf

Of course those don't take apart the incidents-only collects the numbers. Don't know what further analyses is done to say which ones are "problem deaths" or not.

Raw number would not identify specific incidents as problematic, but they could identify departments that might have issues. For example, if the incidence of police-involved shootings resulting in death of the suspect is five times the national average (as I recall it was in Albuquerque, New Mexico), you might want to find out why. It might be that there is a unique crime problem there, or it might be that there is a culture of shoot first and don't ask questions later among the police.

Don

Micheal browns friend also did not tell the truth so how can you take this video as the gospel. I will wait till we get the whole story. I get where you guys are coming from if it is the real deal, but going off full blast on this half ass story is lazy thinking.

I posted something of greater substance above about getting down to accountability and it got 1 reply.....So I question the motives of those here. Do you want to discuss solving this "WTF is wrong with American police" problem, or just really want to bitch about it?