RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

cvfd1399

Yep. You are right hundreds of thousands of good cops are doing their job legally and properly.

So are millions of other people, and they don't whine that the news media doesn't write up how wonderful they are.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

cvfd1399

Less than 0.176% of cops kill Americans a year. That's total deaths justified and not. Now subtract homicides you would even say is justified and see that number dive behind the decimal point further.

In that case the police forces of the USA would still be at 99.8% of strength if they weeded out all the bad cops. So why so many cover-ups instead of getting rid of the bad ones?

kallend

Goes along with other "people do the job they're paid for" news, like:

Grocery checkout clerk gives correct change.

Teacher teaches class with students in it.

Taxi driver takes customer to airport.

Physician writes prescription for patient.

You forgot:

County clerk issues marriage licenses to legally-qualifying couples.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

You forgot:

County clerk issues marriage licenses to legally-qualifying couples.

Good catch!

ryoder

You forgot:

County clerk issues ALTERED marriage licenses to legally-qualifying couples.

FIFY >:(

RMK

Regardless of what happened prior, I'll venture to say this is not the ideal manner in which to apprehend a suspect.

"But over the weekend, a spokesman, Sgt JD Nelson, said that the deputies on the video filed use-of-force reports and that they believed Petrov was on drugs and were unsure of what he was able to do"

Sounds legit. Best to beat the absolute crap out of every suspect just in case they start resisting.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

It's all the fault of the camera. If there hadn't been a camera there, none of this would have happened. Officially. And no one would be mad about it.

Of course this all a new and recent phenomenon. Events of this nature surely weren't as common in the days before widespread use of video.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

>Sounds legit. Best to beat the absolute crap out of every suspect just in case
>they start resisting.

And really, anyone could be on drugs. Car thief? Mexican looking guy? Pregnant woman acting like a bitch? Who knows what they are on?

Those officers just want to go home to their families at night.

Don't know what this video will reveal (not released yet), but from the story looks to be significant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chicago-police-shooting-video_564e4166e4b0879a5b0a4343

"A city lawyer even said the video was a factor in the unusual decision by the city to approve a $5 million payment to McDonald's family before his relatives had even filed a lawsuit."

Yes because confronting the cops high on PCP with a knife is a great idea. Now it's evidently a pay day so......

On a lighter note, someone actually said this to me recently during a domestic.

"yea he was mad because I had to leave with my friend to the clinic because she had an abortion yesterday, and they left some baby up in there".

Yep the cops are the problem..................:S

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/local/2015/11/19/behind-badge-officers-under-attack/76081864/

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

We can't argue this one yet; the video hasn't been released.

However:
1) 16 shots
2) police refusal to release the video
3) pre-emptive payment of $5m, by city, before any lawsuit

We'll have to pick this one up next week.

Most police are good; you seem to be a professional policeman. However, we must stop this automatic covering for the bad apples which are a disproportionate number. If several Catholic priests are found to have been raping young boys; the discussion starting point should not be "you don't know what being a priest is like, I know lots of nice priests."

skycop

Yep the cops are the problem...............

We know police see some horrendous stuff; you have to deal with the worst of society - it's your profession. No one is not against police being attacked. That's a totally separate discussion from police brutality.

jakee

***Yes because confronting the cops high on PCP with a knife is a great idea.

"But even the city's attorney has said McDonald was walking away when he was shot."

:S

Click on the autopsy drawing to enlarge it.
There are entrance wounds on both front and back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/us/laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police-shooting.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

>"But even the city's attorney has said McDonald was walking away when he was shot."

But he might have turned around and charged them. You never know.

The training I provided was to use one syllable, either 'freeze!' or 'halt!' as you prefer.

If they turn and run away while their hands in plain sight, let them go.

If they turn away and you lose sight of either hand such that they could be reaching for something, shoot to stop. You can not afford to find out if they were reaching for a cell phone, a pocket bible, a Lorcin 9mm - or they just had an itch they wanted to scratch - if they then turn around.

The whole Michael Brown thing is nonsense. The fact that he was not armed is immaterial - if Dick Butkus (or his modern equivalent) was coming at me with malice and aforethought, while ignoring the threat of lethal force in the process, I would be impressed if he could be dropped before ripping me apart.

I have one advantage that the cop in Ferguson did not - I can ethically run away as rapidly as possible. I could then call 911, and the cop who responded would not have that option. Of all the cops I know, not one does not dread having to resort to lethal force, and those who have had to do so have nightmares about it.

When unsuccessfully attacking an armed individual, the cause of death is effectively suicide. Give it a rest.

BSBD,

Winsor