2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

Hooknswoop

"It's a remarkable drop in a city long plagued by gun violence. In April, there were 29% fewer shootings and 21% fewer killings …"

Only a fool would treat a month over month change as a trend in crime rates.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

The FACT remains that despite the recent modest drop, murders in Chicago are still some 50% higher now than in the decade prior to the big relaxation of gun laws.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

The FACT remains that despite the recent modest drop, murders in Chicago are still some 50% higher now than in the decade prior to the big relaxation of gun laws.

We know that crime rates correlate negatively with the quantity of gun restrictions. We also know that no gun advocate who has any understanding of statistics would hold up Chicago as a source of data to support their position.

Australia finally had a second mass shooting in the 22 years since enforcing gun restrictions. In the same time period there was no one to one replacement of mass knife attacks, car attacks, etc. equating to a per capita rate of US mass shootings. The fact is that restricting gun access without banning guns has made it difficult enough to commit these acts that the numbers dropped.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grandfather-suspect-australia-mass-shooting-official-063951577.html
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Australia finally had a second mass shooting in the 22 years since enforcing gun restrictions. In the same time period there was no one to one replacement of mass knife attacks, car attacks, etc. equating to a per capita rate of US mass shootings. The fact is that restricting gun access without banning guns has made it difficult enough to commit these acts that the numbers dropped.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grandfather-suspect-australia-mass-shooting-official-063951577.html

I'm kind of holding my breath about Australia. In every gun control debate the fact of Australia never having mass shooting incidents comes up. It seems a lot like painting a target on the country. Every country has bitter twisted people and you can see the thought balloon over their heads thinking "hey, if I shoot up a school in Perth that would really make world wide news."

Bob_Church

***Australia finally had a second mass shooting in the 22 years since enforcing gun restrictions. In the same time period there was no one to one replacement of mass knife attacks, car attacks, etc. equating to a per capita rate of US mass shootings. The fact is that restricting gun access without banning guns has made it difficult enough to commit these acts that the numbers dropped.

I'm kind of holding my breath about Australia. In every gun control debate the fact of Australia never having mass shooting incidents comes up. It seems a lot like painting a target on the country. Every country has bitter twisted people and you can see the thought balloon over their heads thinking "hey, if I shoot up a school in Perth that would really make world wide news."

Australia had been having a improved crime rate and improved gun-crime rate so I don't think it's a good example to look at for those items. I think this points a finger towards overall gun deaths being a factor of access to guns but even more so a factor of how well the country deals with crime. It definitely IS something to say that their rate of mass shootings is vastly less than ours and they have not had an indiscriminate mass shooting since 1966.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Phrasing please! From an article at CBS I just read.

"According to the offense report, Glover and his wife were having an altercation after the third round of The Players Championship, where Glover shot 78"

Fortunately, she was yelling at him over his golf score, not number of dead bodies.

gowlerk

Another big day for GunRights ™. Congratulations again NRA and America. Thoughts and prayers Santa Fe, TX.

Wow, the worst mass shooting in USA since February.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I googled 'US School shooting' this morning when I heard the news.

There were three that popped up that I hadn't even heard about. JUST THIS WEEK.
They didn't even make the news.

Seriously, until it's your kid, no-one seems to care anymore.

Yes, I noted the same when I Googled.

I see CNN briefly interrupted their royal wedding coverage to note the shooting, but were back to royal wedding coverage quite quickly.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

Yes, I noted the same when I Googled.

I see CNN briefly interrupted their royal wedding coverage to note the shooting, but were back to royal wedding coverage quite quickly.

I have a friend in, I think Sheffield, if it's outside of London I have trouble remembering) and he posted in disgust the way the wedding trumps everything. No ill will towards the Royal Couple, just the way the news is being prioritized. I don't share his surprise.

Bob_Church

***Yes, I noted the same when I Googled.

I have a friend in, I think Sheffield, if it's outside of London I have trouble remembering) and he posted in disgust the way the wedding trumps everything. No ill will towards the Royal Couple, just the way the news is being prioritized. I don't share his surprise.

The forthcoming wedding has what to do with the 22nd mass shooting 2018 in the US? Perhaps as the *....way the wedding trumps everything.*??? :ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

******Yes, I noted the same when I Googled.

The forthcoming wedding has what to do with the 22nd mass shooting 2018 in the US? Perhaps as the *....way the wedding trumps everything.*??? :ph34r:

In the US, children killing children with AR-15's, bombs, etc. is not newsworthy enough anymore. If covered, a short break to report number killed, injured, etc. Then back to other sound bites that appeal to a broader tribal interest.

Bob_Church

You're surprised that a relatively rare event gets more news coverage than a relatively common event?

gowlerk

Another big day for GunRights ™. Congratulations again NRA and America. Thoughts and prayers Santa Fe, TX.

What gun do you suggest we ban this time?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Another big day for GunRights ™. Congratulations again NRA and America. Thoughts and prayers Santa Fe, TX.

I suppose at this point it doesn’t really matter, I think we’re just destined to have multiple school shootings a year. The “Thoughts and prayers” thing sure doesn’t seem to be working that well. I’m

jclalor

******Another big day for GunRights ™. Congratulations again NRA and America. Thoughts and prayers Santa Fe, TX.

I suppose at this point it doesn’t really matter, I think we’re just destined to have multiple school shootings a year. The “Thoughts and prayers” thing sure doesn’t seem to be working that well. I’m

No we're not destined to have more school shootings. If the Liberals would stop whining and complaining about doing the right amount of security at schools we can end this pretty damn fast. There's more fucking security where I used to work then there is at most schools. And it's not that big a deal.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

And it's not that big a deal.

It IS that big a deal.

Kids are kids. They're not adults. They deserve to have an environment that is safe to be kids in without the need for specialized security to account for adults wanting to play with guns.

Here's the thing - where I went to school there was NO security. None. And that's true in just about every country that doesn't have multiple shootings in schools every week. So sure, you could lock the schools down, treat them like a prison and frisk everyone coming and going and there would probably be less events like this - But no parent in the world would want that.

By adding security that you want you're treating a symptom, not the root cause.

Let me ask you something - would you trade your child's life for your right to own firearms?
A straight yes or no answer please.