skycop

Freddie Gray autopsy

skycop

You mean to tell me that the people required to give tickets, and enforce seatbelt laws, just . . . Forgot . . . To belt him in. At all. :|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

from a USA today article

If cars have seat belts, why aren't they generally required in school buses? Because modern school buses are already remarkably safe, and because seat belts don't work the same way in buses as they do cars, research shows.

Numerous federal and academic studies have concluded that school buses are the safest form of ground transportation of all, in fact. The National Safety Council says they're about 40 times safer than the family car.

About 440,000 public school buses carry 24 million children more than 4.3 billion miles a year, but only about six children die each year in bus accidents, according to annual statistics compiled the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. About 800 children, by contrast, die every year walking, biking or being driven to school in cars or other passenger vehicles, said Ron Medford, the agency's deputy director.

That's because designers of modern school buses don't trust squirmy children to use seat belts properly. Instead, they use a passive system called compartmentalization. Bus seats aren't packed so closely together just to maximize capacity (although that's one reason); they're spaced tightly and covered with 4-inch-thick foam to form a protective bubble.

In a crash, "the child will go against the seat, and that will absorb most of the impact," said John Hamilton, transportation director for the Jackson County, Fla., school board. "Plus, it's a safety device so that they won't be projecting through the air."

http://www.today.com/parents/why-your-childs-school-bus-has-no-seat-belts-2D80555438
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I believe I read that the Baltimore police require that people being transported be belted in.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Did the department have an actual on paper SOP for belting people in the back of those vans? If not that could be the cops out. If not they are probably screwed anyways, and screwed and roasted if there was a guideline.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I believe I read that the Baltimore police require that people being transported be belted in.

The point I've been making all along, the most as far as criminal charges go would be whatever Maryland has for criminal negligence. Even that would be shaky.

When trial comes around, and facts actually matter, most of these officers are going to walk.

Policy violations can be used for disciplinary actions, and civil liability. Does it rise to criminal negligence? I guess we'll see, my guess is it will not. Unless the van driver did something intentional, and they can PROVE it.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

jakee

I'm sorry, they have to prove the driver did something intentional to show he was negligent?

I think you need to double check what negligence means...

isn't the driver directly responsible for having his cargo/passengers properly loaded ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

***I'm sorry, they have to prove the driver did something intentional to show he was negligent?

I think you need to double check what negligence means...

isn't the driver directly responsible for having his cargo/passengers properly loaded ?

If the department does not have a guideline on paper for properly securing transports then they will argue he was loaded to the best of his ability, or whatever the best way to argue that is.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I still don't understand what school buses have to do with prisoner transport vehicles.
There are a few differences in the design of the seating area.
A few HUGE ones that jump out for that matter.

Throwing someone into a metal box while shackled and bouncing them around until you commit negligent homicide is one thing.
A kid riding in a school bus between two high backed padded seats is something very different indeed.

normiss

I still don't understand what school buses have to do with prisoner transport vehicles.

Throwing someone into a metal box while shackled and bouncing them around until you commit negligent homicide is one thing.
A kid riding in a school bus between two high backed padded seats is something very different indeed.

I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill. He was replying to CVFD about seatbelts not being in the back seats of all vehicles.

Not a mountain, but yes, it's possible I am still misunderstanding.
"Backseat" is quite a misnomer but there is at least a small mole hill when you compare that to a school bus.
It's like comparing a spaceship to a wheelchair.
;)

normiss

farm8.staticflickr.com/7539/16327597951_2b0fe43270.jpg

c3.staticflickr.com/3/2721/4522022344_c3b49572e7_b.jpg

farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4879282196_ca22a5cbcc_m.jpg

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Does anyone know if the arresting officers were charged with anything? Specifically who by policy is responsible for securing the prisoner in the seat? Provided by policy it ISN'T the arresting officers job to buckle the prisoner in why would the officers who arrested him be charged at all?
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little