ryoder

NE Legislature Overrides Guv Veto to Abolish Death Penalty

ryoder

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty.html

NE has not done an execution since 1997, so they are really just making it official.
Welcome to the civilized world, Nebraska!

Soooo, if the fed still does executions, you think that the entire country and its leaders are not part of the civilized world?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty.html

NE has not done an execution since 1997, so they are really just making it official.

Soooo, if the fed still does executions, you think that the entire country and its leaders are not part of the civilized world?

If the federal government performs an execution (and when it gains death penalty sentences, even against scumbag bombers of children), it does not behave like the civilized world. If Congress repealed any federal death penalty, it would move the federal government closer to the civilized world, and reflect those US citizens who wish to do likewise.

Historically, as well as presently, the advancement of a society, or lack of it as the case may be, is more often than not measured in how humane the society is. Or, is not.

Andy9o8

******http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty.html

If the federal government performs an execution (and when it gains death penalty sentences, even against scumbag bombers of children), it does not behave like the civilized world. If Congress repealed any federal death penalty, it would move the federal government closer to the civilized world, and reflect those US citizens who wish to do likewise.

Historically, as well as presently, the advancement of a society, or lack of it as the case may be, is more often than not measured in how humane the society is. Or, is not.

I think ending some people is sometimes the most humane thing to do.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>I think ending some people is sometimes the most humane thing to do.

For the rest of society? Putting them in a cell for the rest of their lives vs. executing them is identical.

For them? I really don't care. Whatever's cheaper.

turtlespeed

Take a look at the map here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_punishment_by_country
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

turtlespeed

Does it feel good to be listed along with Yemen, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan as states that kill their own citizens?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty.html

Does it feel good to be listed along with Yemen, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan as states that kill their own citizens?

Yes, in some cases, absolutely.

turtlespeed

*********http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty.html

Yes, in some cases, absolutely.

Organized civilization, as contrasted with individual action, often means not acting out that which feels good.

Andy9o8

Organized civilization, as contrasted with individual action, often means not acting out that which feels good.

that's kind of pointless - both sides of the debate have elements that are based on making themselves 'feel good' about themselves - I tend to ignore both as they invalidate their positions right there

for that matter those opposed seem to mainly use arguments about how they "feel" about it - see above posts about aligning with a list of countries - that's all about feeling. And then the strawman arguments are all about the 'feelings' of the (vengeful minded subset) otherdside and extending it to everyone

I prefer the option to have the death penalty - but feeling sad about being forced into using it even rarely for the worst of the worst. Actually, I rather we have the option, nearly never have to use it, and just being pragmatic about it when it has to happen. But nowhere in that is smug satisfaction, or feeling good about it. It sucks.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

What about those US citizens that do not wish to do likewise?, and who defines what is 'humane'?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

cvfd1399

Isn't an eye for an eye in the bible? I don't know. Murder for murder sounds fair.

Which version of the Bible is that stuff in? Old or new?

Isn't it traditional to ignore those parts of the Bible that don't apply any more?

How does a Bible follower determine which parts apply, and which parts don't? Based on my experience, and the words posted here by some so called "Christians", that decision is completely based on situational ethics.

There is a great deal of information in both versions of the Bible that specify how to handle slaves, how to make people slaves, and how to handle unruly slaves. These passages were used to justify the existence and continuation of slavery. As best as I can tell, these passages no longer apply here is the USA.

Leviticus quotes are bandied about to justify bad treatment of gay people. Yet so called "Christians" get all squirmish when challenged to account for other portions of Leviticus.

See the attached graphic for more info on the absurdity of the "Bible"

Civilized societies do not kill their citizens.
I can't say that I am surprised that there are some who see no problem with being listed as comparable to Yemen, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan. Some people just don't get it.

cvfd1399

Isn't an eye for an eye in the bible? I don't know. Murder for murder sounds fair.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/jesus-death-penalty/361649/
Depends on what is is... do you want the Old Testament god and all those persnickety laws that mandate death for Adultery.... for wearing cloth of dissimilar materials... or the abomination of that lobster dinner or the mudbugs in red sauce you had.... the Judaic God who punished his people at a whim.. or the Christian God.... who sent his only son...

I somehow think based on what Christ taught... and experienced first hand he may take a different view than of all those bloodthirsty followers who profess Christianity while looking for revenge. Let all ye who are without sin... cast those stones...

Andy9o8

What about those US citizens that do not wish to do likewise?,

Fuck em!

and who defines what is 'humane'?

Mmm.. that would be me.

That doesn't leave John much to do.

for that matter those opposed seem to mainly use arguments about how they "feel" about it - see above posts about aligning with a list of countries - that's all about feeling. And then the strawman arguments are all about the 'feelings' of the (vengeful minded subset) otherdside and extending it to everyone

Well, I think you missed the main argument that's used... unless you phrase it as "I don't want to have to feel bad when it turns out an executed person wasn't guilty";)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>I think ending some people is sometimes the most humane thing to do.

For the rest of society? Putting them in a cell for the rest of their lives vs. executing them is identical.

For them? I really don't care. Whatever's cheaper.

I kinda like the idea of only ever sentencing someone to life without parole, and then give anyone sentenced to life without parole the option to take the death penalty instead.

SkyDekker

I kinda like the idea of only ever sentencing someone to life without parole, and then give anyone sentenced to life without parole the option to take the death penalty instead.

I like this idea, but only if euthanasia is legalized.

I don't see how the repeal of the "one-child policy" is relevant...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour