ryoder

NE Legislature Overrides Guv Veto to Abolish Death Penalty

SkyDekker

I kinda like the idea of only ever sentencing someone to life without parole, and then give anyone sentenced to life without parole the option to take the death penalty instead.

I like this idea, but only if euthanasia is legalized.

We passed Death with Dignity laws here in Washington State and in Oregon when I lived there 20 years ago.
I love the idea..... when its time to go having the freedom to choose... you know it.. and those long lingering deaths in pain... not my idea of a good time.

SkyDekker

I kinda like the idea of only ever sentencing someone to life without parole, and then give anyone sentenced to life without parole the option to take the death penalty instead.

I'm for both. But I see no reason to make one contingent upon legalization of the other. They are both independently important enough to not treat like negotiation chips.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

I'm for both. But I see no reason to make one contingent upon legalization of the other. They are both independently important enough to not treat like negotiation chips.

"I'll get you a cup of coffee, but only if I can also buy you a donut."

"Uh... sounds great!"

champu

"Uh... sounds great!"

Ok, so coffee is good, is a donut a bad thing? They are fattening and will lead to the over all increase in obesity.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

champu

"Uh... sounds great!"

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccLIvW1V9K0As8knnIlQ;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTY4NwRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1tb3ppbGxhLTAwMQRncHJpZANub05vTFI5VlE2MmtCVHhzcUZuRndBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwM5BG9yaWdpbgNzZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDBHFzdHJsAzM0BHF1ZXJ5A2F1c3RpbiBwb3dlcnMgYnV5aW5nIHRoZSBicmllZmNhc2UEdF9zdG1wAzE0MzMyNTUzOTQ-?p=austin+powers+buying+the+briefcase&fr2=sb-top-search&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

champu

Are donuts bad things? Geez speakers corner, what has happened to you? :P

Well, cops like them, so, I figured at least Normiss would hate them.:ph34r:

Then Skycop would come in and say something in their defense that we just won't understand cuz we never walked a beat.

Then rush would say that donut manufacturing is attributing to global cooling, and then Kallend, Billvon, and Quade would show some statistics that contradicted it.

Meanwhile Andy would argue that donuts, while made of all colors, are being eaten by cops, because donuts are minorities and being discriminated, despite being delicious.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

***Are donuts bad things? Geez speakers corner, what has happened to you? :P

Then Skycop would come in and say something in their defense that we just won't understand cuz we never walked a beat.

Then rush would say that donut manufacturing is attributing to global cooling, and then Kallend, Billvon, and Quade would show some statistics that contradicted it.

Meanwhile Andy would argue that donuts, while made of all colors, are being eaten by cops, because donuts are minorities and being discriminated, despite being delicious.

Donuts stopped being a part of my diet a couple years ago.. BUT I have been known to buy a box of crispy crèmes and leave it sitting on the hood of one of our local patrol cars that they like to park in a certain area to make people think there is a speed trap there. I am sure Officer Donut enjoyed them.:ph34r::ph34r:

Amazon

******Are donuts bad things? Geez speakers corner, what has happened to you? :P

Donuts stopped being a part of my diet a couple years ago.. BUT I have been known to buy a box of crispy crèmes and leave it sitting on the hood of one of our local patrol cars that they like to park in a certain area to make people think there is a speed trap there. I am sure Officer Donut enjoyed them.:ph34r::ph34r:

You might should have just put sand in the box.

champu

Look, the point is that donuts... ...are like euthanasia. There's no reason you can't enjoy them with a nice cup of coffee or an opt-in death penalty. And if you don't want to die, fine, don't eat the donuts.

Euthanasia is just late term abortion, so donuts are abortions?

That's odd, we have a mom and pop donut shop in town and IT IS AMAAAAAZEBALLS!!!!!!
Last time I was in, I paid the bill for the cops in line, they seemed to think it was a nice gesture.
Apparently my reality is different than yours.
Who knew?

Oh man...now I'm craving an almond joy donut and a spicy sausage roll. The snickers donuts are rather impressive too.
They even have Homer donuts!

rehmwa

I don't see it as a bargaining chip.

Don't understand why you would legalize euthanasia for prisoners, but not for the rest of the population.

SkyDekker

I don't see it as a bargaining chip.

Don't understand why you would legalize euthanasia for prisoners, but not for the rest of the population.

I clearly didn't say do one and not the other. What part of "I'm for both" didn't you understand?

You're the one that wrote "but only if" - I read that as a conditional (bargaining chip) - maybe I read you wrong. You are likely stating that the prisoners choice is somewhat analogous to citizen's choice. I'm not agreeing there, though I do see your point.

I think there is a difference between supporting a painless death for a law abiding citizen who wishes to end their life for whatever reasons; vs giving a dangerous criminal the option to die instead of life in prison.

One of them would be supporting a right to govern one's own life, the other is about justice for a person that has no rights.

IMHO - too important to try to bundle them together under the same arguments.

I actually think the right for a law abiding citizen to euthanize is much more important. But I see no reason to allow two different concepts to be bundled together - objections of either one could derail approval of the other - no reason for that.

You're the one that wrote "but only if" - I read that as a conditional (bargaining chip) - maybe I read you wrong.

Only because I am not in favour of giving prisoners more rights than law abiding citizens.

I think there is a difference between supporting a painless death for a law abiding citizen who wishes to end their life for whatever reasons; vs giving a dangerous criminal the option to die instead of life in prison.

I see it as both providing (what is supposed to be a) painless death to somebody who cannot stand the future they are facing.

I am a strong proponent of euthanasia and would be offended (not that really means anything lol) if it was offered for prisoners but not for me.

ryoder

Maybe he can use executive decisions.