kallend

Water and the southwest

airdvr

From Bill's post...
4) (by far the simplest) charge for water. Have thirty gallons per person per month provided free (for drinking and washing) and then charge what it costs beyond that.

A low-flow toilet uses 1.6 gallons (or less) per flush.
So flushing just once per day, 30 gallons would be used up in 19 days.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

From Bill's post...
4) (by far the simplest) charge for water. Have thirty gallons per person per month provided free (for drinking and washing) and then charge what it costs beyond that.

I'm no techie by any stretch, but I've always been incredulous that fully-treated, potable water is used to flush toilets.

Andy9o8

From Bill's post...

I'm no techie by any stretch, but I've always been incredulous that fully-treated, potable water is used to flush toilets.

Until recently, water was plentiful enough that having double the infrastructure around water delivery didn't make any sense. It's always been safe to drink water from any source in the house.

I did like how Bill's allotment didn't include flushing. That's a luxury, man!

5-10 gallons per day per person would be a meaningful allocation.

Andy9o8

From Bill's post...

Agreed.
I've long thought BillVon's point of having two types of water supplied to homes makes sense.
In my city, municipal lawn watering uses reclaimed water.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jeanne,

water from Oregon south to California

Here is one thought: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-shatner-boldly-goes-after-water-20150423-story.html

Back in the late 60's a former supervisor of mine worked for the BLM in their Denver office. At that time they had actual drawings of a pipe going from the mouth of the Columbia River to California.

Also back in the late 60's, the late Sen. Mark Hatfield ( R-Or ) gave a speech about water being the next major problem in the west. He was nearly boo'ed out of the room.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Psst, wanna buy a golf course in Arizona? :o

Nope:ph34r:

Andy9o8

***Can we get the topic back to the are where 80% is consumed (being Ag), mmmkay? Thanks.

You know, I hear that 80% is consumed by Ag! What's with that?

And ya know...I was hoping we can discussion solutions to reduce that Ag usage. ;)

Elisha

******Can we get the topic back to the are where 80% is consumed (being Ag), mmmkay? Thanks.

You know, I hear that 80% is consumed by Ag! What's with that?

And ya know...I was hoping we can discussion solutions to reduce that Ag usage. ;)

Why do you guys keep talking about silver?:|

>4) (by far the simplest) charge for water. Have thirty gallons per person per month
>provided free (for drinking and washing) and then charge what it costs beyond that.

You still haven't said what problem you have with the "liberal" idea of charging what a product is worth. (Rather than the "conservative" idea of having the government subsidize water collection and distribution.)

>Can we get the topic back to the are where 80% is consumed (being Ag), mmmkay? Thanks.

Here's my solution to that -
Cut all farms to 1 acre-foot of water per year from the original water agreements. (Enough for most crops.)

Some crops take more water than that. Almonds, for example, take 3-4 acre-feet of water per acre per year. For those crops, provide salt water for cheap (or even for free if the farmers squawk too loudly.) It takes half an acre of solar evaporators to provide 3 acre-feet of fresh water per year. These are the simplest things you can imagine - basically a flat black metal plate with a plastic cover over them. Water evaporates from the metal plate and condenses as fresh water on the plastic cover.

So farmers can still grow almonds to their heart's content - but will have to put up desalinators if they want to do so. Fortunately they will have the three critical ingredients to do so - salt water, land and sunlight.

Maybe I can re-fill my pool with Oregon beer. The pool has been empty for 3 years, while I was doing other renovations. Or I can just fill it and pay whatever water fine shows up, and consider it part of my remodeling expense. Empty pools are considered more of a liability hazard than filled ones -- I had one potential lender pass on doing a refi with an empty pool.

>Maybe I can re-fill my pool with Oregon beer.

Cover it with a pool cover and paint it with a picture of a volleyball court full of Swedish bikini models. It will fool Google Earth and suspicious lenders - and cause spontaneous parties (and kegs of Old Milwaukee) to show up in your yard.

billvon

>Maybe I can re-fill my pool with Oregon beer.

Cover it with a pool cover and paint it with a picture of a volleyball court full of Swedish bikini models. It will fool Google Earth and suspicious lenders - and cause spontaneous parties (and kegs of Old Milwaukee) to show up in your yard.

We already barbequed Spuds MacKenzie.

Our meters are read every two months. I'll probably fill the pool halfway the week before they read the meter, and the rest the week after. Spread over 4 months, it is a lot less water than most people put on their lawns (I don't have any lawn, and do very little outside watering).

kallend

Quit being obtuse.

Please stop quoting my wife. She can speak for herself.

I'm sure she's right but is she a-cutie?

you are such a square when you go off on tangents like that

(I'm rooting for at least 3 more obvious posts along these lines)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

Quit being obtuse.

Depends on the angle at which you approach this.

Andy9o8

Quit being obtuse.

Depends on the angle at which you approach this.

I'll take care of the secant one, now we just need a third person to strike a chord and Bill will be happy.