kallend

Water and the southwest

>The water goes back into the groundwater that the tree doesn't use . . .

Yep. Unfortunately, farmers have gotten so good at using only the water they need that most of the water they pump out of the aquifer is transpired right into the air rather than going back to the aquifer. A few cycles of this and you have no groundwater left.

aphid

Most Canadians understand that it won't be long before our friendly neighbor comes calling. And our relationship will likely become very un-friendly, very quickly.

Perhaps even sooner than I thought when I composed that original post:

"An American-owned water export company has launched a massive lawsuit against Canada for preventing it from exporting fresh water from British Columbia. Sun Belt Water Inc. of California is suing Canada for $10.5 billion US, the Canadian foreign ministry said Friday. The suit has been filed under Chapter 11 of the North American Free Trade Agreement."

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/u-s-firm-sues-canada-for-10-5-billion-over-water-1.180821

As an aside, I'm sick of listening to certain US politicians & business leaders constantly vilifying NAFTA, yet righteously support US corporations that use it when they feel it is to their advantage.