regulator

Islam...the religion of peace?

Rstanley0312

***There are some bad things in the bible as well. Most don't judge all christians based on that.

There is a major difference between the Bible and the Qur'an. The active teachings and the violence that is promoted.

The "bad things" you are speaking about is pretty general. As it applies to what I said what would be an example of something in the Bible?

They have bene pointed out before. The reaction is normally along the lines of:

We don't follow that part of the bible.
That wasn't meant literally.
Etc.

The bible says stupid things, the Koran says stupid things. Judging all followers of a religion based on the stupid portions of a book and the insane behaviour of some is pretty much the definition of bigotry.

SkyDekker

******There are some bad things in the bible as well. Most don't judge all christians based on that.

There is a major difference between the Bible and the Qur'an. The active teachings and the violence that is promoted.

The "bad things" you are speaking about is pretty general. As it applies to what I said what would be an example of something in the Bible?

Etc.

The bible says stupid things, the Koran says stupid things. Judging all followers of a religion based on the stupid portions of a book and the insane behaviour of some is pretty much the definition of bigotry.

I do not know what has or has not been pointed out before. I am asking you for an example. For those that say they do not follow one part but the others is pretty foolish to say.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

SkyDekker

******There are some bad things in the bible as well. Most don't judge all christians based on that.

Etc.

The issue we have here is that ISIS and other extremist groups are trying to follow the Quran to the exact letter and DEATH to anybody else that don't agree with them.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

jakee

***name ONE war the US Started in this century. I'll be waiting.

Are you for real? I even gave you the dates and you can't figure it out?

Afghanistan.

Iraq.

Hey Regulator, you said you were waiting... Got any comments ready yet?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

SkyDekker

Etc.

What part of the ten commandments do you find stupid?

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honour thy father and thy mother:

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet

jakee

******name ONE war the US Started in this century. I'll be waiting.

Are you for real? I even gave you the dates and you can't figure it out?

Afghanistan.

Iraq.

Hey Regulator, you said you were waiting... Got any comments ready yet?

Being directly related to an army ranger that is currently deployed in afghanistan I will tell you that Afghanistan is NOT a war. It's more of a campaign.

I will give you Iraq, but afghanistan? no way.

regulator

Being directly related to an army ranger that is currently deployed in afghanistan I will tell you that Afghanistan is NOT a war. It's more of a campaign.

Yeah right, there's a distinction worth making.

And he might be there now - was he there thirteen and a half years ago? What would he have called it then? What about 9 years ago? What about 5 years ago?*

I will give you Iraq

How generous of you. my two questions though;

1) How in the name of sanity did you manage to forget about the Iraq war even after I gave you the date it started?

2) What was your point anyway?

* Since you missed the significance last time - I picked those dates for a reason.

regulator

That's just semantics surely.

"In the military sciences, the term military campaign applies to large scale, long duration, significant military strategy plan incorporating a series of inter-related military operations or battles forming a distinct part of a larger conflict often called a war."

Just because it's not a full invasion, doesn't make it not a war.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

That's just semantics surely.

"In the military sciences, the term military campaign applies to large scale, long duration, significant military strategy plan incorporating a series of inter-related military operations or battles forming a distinct part of a larger conflict often called a war."

Just because it's not a full invasion, doesn't make it not a war.

Let's just agree to disagree and while you're at it check out these pics from inside afghanistan while deployed.

jakee

***Being directly related to an army ranger that is currently deployed in afghanistan I will tell you that Afghanistan is NOT a war. It's more of a campaign.

Yeah right, there's a distinction worth making.

And he might be there now - was he there thirteen and a half years ago? What would he have called it then? What about 9 years ago? What about 5 years ago?*

I will give you Iraq

How generous of you. my two questions though;

1) How in the name of sanity did you manage to forget about the Iraq war even after I gave you the date it started?

2) What was your point anyway?

* Since you missed the significance last time - I picked those dates for a reason.

You didn't have to give me the date because I was deployed to Operation Desert Shield. The 'campaign' before the actual conflict started. Were you there 13 years ago? What about 5?

regulator

Were you there 13 years ago? What about 5?

No, but I know it happened, just like I know Iraq happened. Seriously, how did you manage to forget about that, and what was your point trying to be anyway?

http://listverse.com/2011/10/13/15-bizarre-biblical-quotes/

There is a ton of examples, first hit on google.

Found another page with 350 very odd quotes but its not in english.
Stoning wifes and pulling them by the hair to the gate of the city with more...

Both Islam and Christianity has thier smelly sides, is this a competition for who smells the least? What do you win?

jakee

***Were you there 13 years ago? What about 5?

No, but I know it happened, just like I know Iraq happened. Seriously, how did you manage to forget about that, and what was your point trying to be anyway?

I never pretended to forget. My commanding officer told us we were being deployed. I took that order and did my job without question. At the time we thought we were doing the right thing because the president made that call. Just like today when you see obama deep throating Hassan Rouhani's johnson.

regulator

******Were you there 13 years ago? What about 5?

I never pretended to forget. My commanding officer told us we were being deployed. I took that order and did my job without question. At the time we thought we were doing the right thing because the president made that call. Just like today when you see obama deep throating Hassan Rouhani's johnson.

Huh? No, I meant how did you forget that the US started a war in Iraq this century, and what was your point trying to be when you asked the question.

I'm honestly intrigued.

"The "bad things" you are speaking about is pretty general. As it applies to what I said what would be an example of something in the Bible?"

A few pretty "bad things" in the Bible:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18
16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.

Luke 12:49-53
49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

Ephesians 6:5-8
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

...just a few examples :P

Laszloimage

"The "bad things" you are speaking about is pretty general. As it applies to what I said what would be an example of something in the Bible?"

A few pretty "bad things" in the Bible:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18
16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.

Luke 12:49-53
49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

Ephesians 6:5-8
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

...just a few examples :P

What issue do you take with those versus? Also, they do not really apply to my point with the exception of one which would be the first and it is not an open ended statement of killing. It is speaking about the enemies of God in an actual war with them. That is very different from what the Qu'ran says.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

>What issue do you take with those versus?

Telling slaves to obey their masters and telling armies to commit genocide is something we generally frown on nowadays.

I am reminded of Numbers 31, in which Moses became angry with his armies because they had allowed the women and children to live in areas they had conquered. He commanded them to kill all the children, and kill all the women except the virgins - the men in his army should rape them.

Would you take issue with an army that did that?

billvon

>What issue do you take with those versus?

Telling slaves to obey their masters and telling armies to commit genocide is something we generally frown on nowadays.

I am reminded of Numbers 31, in which Moses became angry with his armies because they had allowed the women and children to live in areas they had conquered. He commanded them to kill all the children, and kill all the women except the virgins - the men in his army should rape them.

You probably will not read it and if you do you will find many reasons why it is still not okay. That is your choice but a little research goes a long way. As for instances such as this in the Qu'ran.... I examine it the same way that I do the Bible except it contains open ended statements and commands to murder. A friend of mine wrote this up. I know where to find it quickly because throwing out Numbers 31 is a common occurrence by many.....

http://christianthinktank.com/midian.html

Rstanley0312

***>What issue do you take with those versus?

You probably will not read it and if you do you will find many reasons why it is still not okay. That is your choice but a little research goes a long way. As for instances such as this in the Qu'ran.... I examine it the same way that I do the Bible except it contains open ended statements and commands to murder. A friend of mine wrote this up. I know where to find it quickly because throwing out Numbers 31 is a common occurrence by many.....

http://christianthinktank.com/midian.html

Ya, I read it last night - tell your friend thanks!

Suffice it to say that Bill's commentary was a gross misrepresentation of the story...

...but to be fair, I think many people here are just trying to make the point that the same gross misrepresentations are happening with the Quran.

Now I haven't studied the Quran extensively to know what I'm talking about, so I keep my mouth shut - I wish some here would do the same with regard to the Bible instead of creating more conflict with absent minded commentary.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour