airdvr

LAPD officers shoot homeless man in struggle over officer's gun, officials say

Anvilbrother

He stated that if 5 people can't handle 1 guy they are incompetent or undertrained. I am well within my right to throw the third option of a person under drugs such as pcp which would argue against his statement because it happens. I don't need a crystal ball to know that's an option, because I have been formally trained on it.

A year ago at this time I was in EMS class.
One of the Paramedics, (who were acting as assistant instructors), was telling me a story of being on an EMS call, and wrestling a guy on PCP who had superhuman strength. And this Paramedic is an ex-Marine who served in Afghanistan, and looks like a pro bodybuilder.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

We had a guy here on pcp who got tazed and shook that shit off, he even told the cop he wanted to "ride the lightning again". He was a crazy dude, ended up a few years later in a barricaded standoff. Finally got sent to jail.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

ZERO evidence that is the case here. His point stands.

Ok.......this is from the article. If you don't think there was a good chance this guy was on drugs or suffered from sort of mental illness your a very naive person.

Tents and cardboard shelters cover the sidewalks of Skid Row, the downtown neighborhood where an estimated 1,700 homeless people live. Many of them struggle with mental illness and addiction.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

So you have nothing. He MAY have been addicted to PCP or a whole load of other drugs. He may also have been mentally ill. If thats the case - then yes there may well be mitigating circumstances. However all we know so far is:

There was a struggle with the homeless man (Bad on his part)
He may have obtained one of the officers weapons (also Bad on his part, potentially because of impaired judgement/ stupidity/ mental illness but also incompetence on the part of the officer.)

No-one has mentioned superhuman manic strength. So at the moment, if the officer was more competent, the victim would probably still be alive.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Actually, he was originally countering the assertion that with five cops and only one perp, there must have been incompetence. He didn't say that the guy was on PCP, just that it counters the original assertion.

There are at least three videos of what happened, and an autopsy will end up being done. There will be more facts coming out

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

These days, all US citizens are free game to law enforcement. Shoot an unarmed 12-year old kid. No problem. Asphyxiate a street vendor. No problem. Get called to a domestic violence situation: first shoot dog, then when owner gets upset, kill him, too.

And the list goes on, and on, and on...

To hell with them then, lets get rid of cops. No more police presence to deter crimes, free rapes, murders and theft. Sounds great.

Isn't there some minimum level of literacy required to be a police officer? Aren't you supposed to have an IQ above 80 or something? Did you cheat on your tests or does this explain a large part of the problem? Obviously this is a rhetorical question. I know you are slow. That's ok and everything, just maybe not for people who carry guns.

Seriously?

BillyVance

Seems - based on the police version. I either read or heard a news report w/i past couple days where an eyewitness gives a conflicting version. This article says the officers' body camera images have not yet been released to the public. So in my mind, it's still premature to come to a presumptive conclusion.

BillyVance

Well, the Chief says it was, and his description makes it sound like it was.

Which isn't at all surprising.

They do have body camera footage. And "bystander" video.

Which gives me a lot more faith in this investigation, although I think it would be best if they released all the video after the investigation is done. Perhaps not to the general public, but at least to independent investigators of some sort (not really sure who that would be).

And they said they would release all the footage if there end up being any court proceedings (which are pretty likely at this point).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

ShotterMG

Excuse me, did you say you are/were a cop? Isn't there some minimum level of literacy required to be a police officer? Aren't you supposed to have an IQ above 80 or something? Did you cheat on your tests or does this explain a large part of the problem? Obviously this is a rhetorical question. I know you are slow. That's ok and everything, just maybe not for people who carry guns.

being a dick doesn't really help your argument
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Excuse me, did you say you are/were a cop? Isn't there some minimum level of literacy required to be a police officer? Aren't you supposed to have an IQ above 80 or something? Did you cheat on your tests or does this explain a large part of the problem? Obviously this is a rhetorical question. I know you are slow. That's ok and everything, just maybe not for people who carry guns.

Thank you for that riveting commentary, I am kind of slow so I provided a quote as to the "victim" in this case.

I realize your intellectual prowess and resistance is futile, but indulge me for a moment.
I'd like to see who thinks fighting in the street (or in a tent), fighting armed people who are trying to break up the fight, then attempting to take a gun from one of those armed people is a good idea.

Even someone with an 80 IQ, prolly knows that ain't smart.

The initial employment of less lethal measures was not effective and the fight escalated. Short of having a secret-decoder ring with flying net attachment, the result was predictable. Sad, but predictable.
But, I'd venture to say you've never had to fight a highly agitated, mentally ill former bank robber before. I'd venture the officers hadn't either.............

According to the LA Times, the LAPD has identified the homeless man that went by the street name “Africa” as Charley Saturmin Robinet, a French national. But according to the French consulate, the homeless man stole the identity of a French citizen to illegally enter the United States over 15 years ago. Africa is not a French citizen, and nobody really knows who he was or where he came from.

Whoever the hell he was, he was convicted of a violent bank robbery in 2000:

According to federal court documents, he and an accomplice were armed, respectively, with a handgun and a rifle. They entered the bank from the rear and ordered everyone to the floor. [Africa] jumped over the counter and demanded money from a teller, then dragged the teller to the vault area. When the teller did not have the key to access the vault, [Africa] pistol-whipped and kicked him, authorities said at the time.

And get this, when Africa was apprehended he told the police that he robbed the bank to finance his Hollywood dreams:

During his initial interviews with investigators, [Africa] said he robbed the bank to cover the cost of acting classes at the Beverly Hills Playhouse, authorities said.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

"He was trying to grab my gun."

is the new

"He was resisting arrest."

they've got sick of live ones coming back to sue the department with the NAACP, so they've changed their policy to silencing them first so they can't be sued afterwards.

This one is gonna disappear off the top of the news list real quick, since the victim/aggressor is a transit, and America has no heart for those people who became burden of the society.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0P8TSP2YJU

This guy is already walking as a freeman now, he only served two years in jail.

The system needs to train the police to the higher level.

So that, cops aren't being idiots and have the criminal get to their weapon, and the cops doesn't mistake real firearm as a tazer.

or

just taze and mace the fuck out of everyone first, before anything, and then detain and question.

yeah, whatever, he was grabbing his gun. Who is the idiot now? 6 cops surrounding the homeless dude, and letting the homeless guy get to his weapon.

Really well trained officers right there.
Just taze them first without questioning, that will end much better.

My honest opinion, this ending was better for the society. It was just some homeless dude, who was probably mentally unstable. The officer who shot him did a favor for the society. They smell bad and they want money. I told one of the homeless that was asking me for money when I was in San Fransico, that the Golden Gate bridge is right there as I was pointing out. He didn't get what I meant. :S

Yep,
The dude made a mistake, a deadly one, and a criminally negligent one.
Do people die when you make a mistake a work?

So that, cops aren't being idiots and have the criminal get to their weapon, and the cops doesn't mistake real firearm as a tazer.

Medical mistakes kill THOUSANDS of people yearly, when a pilot fucks up he/she can kill tens to hundreds.

You are leaving out the millions of police contacts yearly that don't in controversy, many under very difficult circumstances.

My hand is up, please don't shoot, I'm not resisting either.

I'm just pointing out the lack of training.

Why are people all upset about it anyways?
The guy was homeless, and mentally unstable. This case is not like Michael Brown who had family or something.

Maybe the guy wanted to get shot. There have been lots of cases of suicide by cop. I think this was one of those.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed4_1425534410

This is what happens when a taser is effective, in the LA case it was ineffective. The circumstances were also different, the guy in LA was actively fighting/assaulting someone when they arrived. They had to intervene immediately and in close quarters, and the guy attempted to take an officers gun.
The type of incident in the video happens all the time, but rarely makes anything but local news. Officers use less lethal force or de-escalate the situation using Crisis Intervention techniques without using deadly force all the time, even when deadly force would be justified.

skycop

Well ya,
They had to find something to justify the investigation, this is no surprise.
Thanks for playing.

So you think the report is a fabrication?

In another thread you are complaining against cops being treated differently. Then a report comes along about cops treating certain groups of civilians differently and you just instantly dismiss it.

Excuse me while I'll take your complaining as whining.