jclalor

American Sniper

Boomerdog

I understand that the movie is about PTSD, it's also rather ironic that all those Republicans out there singing the praises of this movie, won't give a flying fuck about spending an extra penny he help our returning vets, actually they'd prefer we spend a whole lot less.

And you know this how?

Watching any media source... other than Fox. The GOP is all about increased military spending, by taking away from VA spending.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veterans-groups-gop-2014-2

jclalor

I understand that the movie is about PTSD, it's also rather ironic that all those Republicans out there singing the praises of this movie, won't give a flying fuck about spending an extra penny he help our returning vets, actually they'd prefer we spend a whole lot less.

And you know this how?

Watching any media source... other than Fox. The GOP is all about increased military spending, by taking away from VA spending.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veterans-groups-gop-2014-2

and Obama cut their pay
So WTF is your point as the whole gov is screwing our men and women over
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You can believe all you wish about what the press reports. But what went on in the Senate plus the language of the details in the bill plus all the bullshit lobbying and posturing by interests groups gives me pause for concern. Something about Washington you need to know...all is not what it seems in that part of the world.

jclalor

******And FWIW, The only reason I went to see it was because my GF talked me into it. I'm also way too critical of 90% of movies I see, I'm not surprised I disliked it. I also will admit to googling every movie I see, this is how I found out about his love of telling tall Tales.

The best movie of the year IMHO, "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

I figured it out. You're finally growing pubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8XqA7WyLI

If that movie is your favorite, there is no need debating this movie any more with you.

Your taste obviously sucks ass. You probably enjoy michael moore movies.

I have no problem admitting when people are idiots. I think the first thread I started when I joined DZ.com 7 years ago, was about Moore.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3328669;search_string=Michael%20Moore;#3328669

How about you, any mouths on the right that you don't like?

Rick Santorum

jclalor

Jeb Bush
John McCain
The House Speaker
The Senate Majority Leader
and the list goes on......
Abraham Lincoln

Boomerdog

And you know this how?

How about:

So how did veterans feel about the February 26, 2014 vote where 41 Republicans voted against a sweeping bill to help veterans? American Legion National Commander Daniel M. Dellinger expressed his frustration with the outcome by stating, "There was a right way to vote and a wrong way to vote today, and 41 senators chose the wrong way. That's inexcusable."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

See my reply to jcalor above. We might agree that the BASIC language of the bill was good. But as I stated previlously, in Washington, all is rarely what it seems. I'm a Vet myself so it bothers me that once again, a bill that is supposed to help Veterans with PTSD goes down on a vote. But take a closer look Professor, making legislation in Washington is akin to making sausage. The amendment process that BOTH sides tack on to the basic bill makes the sausage stink even more THEN when the bill goes down to defeat due to the vote of one side, the other side uses the object of the original bill as a political cudgel to allege insensitivity and callousness of those who voted against it. Good political theatre but the Vets still get the shaft. Now, as lively is the debate and disagreement around here, WE could at least agree to demand both R&D's generate good clean bills designed to aid those whom the bill was originally intended. Then we avoid the acrimony, the stinking sausage and the Vets with PTSD DO actually get the help they need AND deserve. How about that?

rushmc

Jeb Bush
John McCain
The House Speaker
The Senate Majority Leader
and the list goes on......

As far as the right goes... that list is pretty far left. And I was referring pundits, not politicians.

And I'll at least give a little credit to Boomerdog, Santorum is pretty far Right.

Anvilbrother

Its behind paywall....

Someone on here shared a good trick - if you google the title shown, you'll get a link that isn't behind paywall. Just did it with this one and it seemed to work fine.

As for me, people seemed to be getting very confused between opinions of the film, and opinions about the person. There are two distinct things. You can hate the film and still respect the person.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***Its behind paywall....

Someone on here shared a good trick - if you google the title shown, you'll get a link that isn't behind paywall. Just did it with this one and it seemed to work fine.

As for me, people seemed to be getting very confused between opinions of the film, and opinions about the person. There are two distinct things. You can hate the film and still respect the person.
Or visa versa

+1 on your post
Abraham Lincoln

Stumpy

***Its behind paywall....

I'd add a third thing: is this a job that should be done at all. No disrespect to the servicemen doing it, but should he or she be there in the first place. I'm sure Kyle did a great job following his orders, but the US should never have been there in the first place.

I'd add a third thing: is this a job that should be done at all. No disrespect to the servicemen doing it, but should he or she be there in the first place. I'm sure Kyle did a great job following his orders, but the US should never have been there in the first place.

If a country is going to war, the job of sniper is vital.

But should we have gone to war in Iraq. The answer is obviously (with historical perspective), no.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I once had an extended offline discussion with someone who'd spent a long time in combat positions. He said that one reason many soldiers, particularly combat veterans, really believed in the government, was because they were dispatched to do awful things, and he really wanted to know that they were the right thing to do. Because nearly everyone wants to think of themselves as a good person.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

And that decision is absolutely not the sniper's.

Wendy P.

More importantly, it never should be.

This is what I don't understand about the pundits on both sides politicizing this film. It's about a guy put in an extraordinary position, not entirely of his own choosing, and how that affects him.

It has nothing to do with the larger issue of glorifying the war or whatever other bullshit is mostly being talked about.
quade -

And that decision is absolutely not the sniper's.

Wendy P.

So well put it's insane!! :)
Basically the argument that has gone on about this movie is a debating the Iraq war - again. The movie wasn't about should we be there.....A smart director would produce a movie about THAT question and all the people that hated the war could go and maybe it would be a even BIGGER hit....and we could argue about that. :P
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

quade

***And that decision is absolutely not the sniper's.

Wendy P.

This is what I don't understand about the pundits on both sides politicizing this film. It's about a guy put in an extraordinary position, not entirely of his own choosing, and how that affects him.

It has nothing to do with the larger issue of glorifying the war or whatever other bullshit is mostly being talked about.

So true.....and so ridiculously simple.

quade

***And that decision is absolutely not the sniper's.

Wendy P.

Good post
You too Wendy
Abraham Lincoln

quade

But should we have gone to war in Iraq. The answer is obviously (with historical perspective), no.

Some of us are on record as answering "no" before having historical perspective.

I'm sure the snipers are fine, brave, talented soldiers. Fact is, though, they should never have been put in that position.

kallend

Some of us are on record as answering "no" before having historical perspective.

I'm sure the snipers are fine, brave, talented soldiers. Fact is, though, they should never have been put in that position.

Well, I guess that's where we differ. I remember myself quite well being skeptical. The Powell show at the UN is what sold it to me. It is ONLY with historical perspective that I know I was duped.

How the people who sold the war on false pretense have never been held accountable for their actions is beyond me. I think it was a crime against humanity.
quade -

Congress approved the resolution with a pretty wide margin, and Americans polled shortly after we in favor of the war at 72%.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/8038/seventytwo-percent-americans-support-war-against-iraq.aspx

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,