mirage62

Is $1.99 gallon gas good for the USA?

SkyDekker

******The worst thing that will come from a short term decrease in gasoline prices is the number of people who will now buy a bigger more gas-guzzling vehicle.

I suspect that those that are really positively impacted by this change aren't in the market for new cars. They need the money for buying food and clothes.

those that buy those new cars likely could do it before

My concern is knee jerk tax increases that won't go away once the price of gas goes up. And the fact that so many will self-righteously applaud it.

Obviously the thouands employed in the oil industry (and secondary industries) who are about to lose their jobs may have a different view on this.

Of course they do. It's the nature of the beast. We saw it in texas thirty years ago. We see it in industry all the time. The ebb and flow. And wow! It didn't take government action to put a stop to fracking. It took the damned market. The OPEC nations are doing more for environmentalism in the US than

And I agree with rehmwa. It's disgusting that the governments whose purpose is to fuck the poor and the middle class because, by goodness, there is no way that they will tolerate the peasants having extra money to spend however they want to spend it. Arguing that the average family just doesn't understand how awful it is.

The tax increase is not temporary. The governments already make more money off a gallon of gas than anyone else along the line of distribution. It's one reason why gas in Cali ain't $1.99. About 60 cents per gallon of gas goes to taxes. Cheapest gas I've seen where I am is $2.25 per gallon. 25% of the cost is taxes. That's quite a profit margin.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Plus all this nonsense about Fracking is polluting the ground water is complete bullshit. Fracking occurs a couple of miles deep into the earth, nowhere close to the water tables. But don't expect the Media, Hollywood or their Big Green partners to acknowledge this.

How does the fracking fluid get down there, and the product get back up, without piping going through the water table?

- Dan G

DanG

How does the fracking fluid get down there, and the product get back up, without piping going through the water table?

Ever hear of drilling and inserting a pipe deep into the earth? You know those pipes, things made of steel? Fracking has been safely conducted for a good half century now. Do I need to show the imagine of the network of existing Natural Gas pipelines that dots the North American landscape again? It is mind boggling how vast the existing networks of pipes that there are buried below the ground. The EPA has already come out to say there is not one case where Fracking has polluted the ground water and the EPA has said that Fracking is safe. But don't expect the Media, Hollywood or their partners in the Big Green movement to acknowledge that everything they claim about the polluted ground water is BS.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Good in the short-term; bad for the long-haul.

We all agree that oil is a finite resource. We cannot continue to produce 32 billion barrels a year and not expect the well to dry up.

In the short-term; middle income will be able to purchase more durable goods which stimulates the economy, however once prices begin to increase again spending will be curtailed and we'll have another recessionary period.

I think we all know the nature of mankind. Instead of using this respite to continue to invest in non-fossil fuel solutions; they'll be put on the back burner until people get the next oil shortage scare.

We unfortunately live in the here and now and can't have enough foresight to think and work towards five years from now.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We all agree that oil is a finite resource. We cannot continue to produce 32 billion barrels a year and not expect the well to dry up.

It will eventually dry up, several centuries from now under present day production levels.

DanG

Plus all this nonsense about Fracking is polluting the ground water is complete bullshit. Fracking occurs a couple of miles deep into the earth, nowhere close to the water tables. But don't expect the Media, Hollywood or their Big Green partners to acknowledge this.

Oh shush, you're playing into OPEC's greasy mits with that question.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

CanuckInUSA

It will eventually dry up, several centuries from now under present day production levels.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but everything I've read from oil economists to BP giant say that we have 53.3 years left at current levels.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but everything I've read from oil economists to BP giant say that we have 53.3 years left at current levels.

We've barely tapped into the reserves in Canada and Russia (you know the two largest land mass countries in the world) and then there are the unknown reserves in the arctic (ownership of the arctic is highly contested). If these economists you speak of are saying that there is only 50 years left, they are referencing the cheap easy access through the traditional ways of drilling for oil. There is tons of harder to access and more expensive to access reserves in the world. Canada alone can power the entire planet under today's production levels for the next century. Throw in the Middle East, Venezuela, the USA, Russia and now Australia. There is enough dino juice still buried in the ground for several more centuries. We, our children, our grand children, their grand children will all be pining for the fiords long before humanity runs out of the dino juice. But yes several centuries from now, humanity (assuming we don't kill ourselves before then) will be facing a day when these resources dry up.

normiss

Personally, I'd LOVE to upgrade to a big diesel pickup.
I need/want more towing power and efficiency.
B|

Diesel fuel is a dollar more than regular per gallon. :S

There was a time when it was cheaper too.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ever hear of drilling and inserting a pipe deep into the earth?

Gosh, they have pipes that never break or leak?

And do you believe that after pumping tons of chemicals deep into the Earth at extreme pressure, that stuff will always just play nice and stay there?

I'm not some anti-fracking nut job. There are obvious concerns with the process. I personally think fracking is a great technology to have in our back pocket when other sources of gas and oil become very difficult/expensive to work. We shouldn't just start fracking like crazy (like we are) because it is not going to end up being environmentaly friendly on a large scale.

- Dan G

BIGUN

So.... most think that is an outright lie. Much of the data compiled for this relies on OPEC reports as well. If there is not much left that equates to a higher value for the product. Nobody that trades in oil actually believes these estimates. Maybe it is true just giving more insight.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I'm not some anti-fracking nut job. There are obvious concerns with the process. I personally think fracking is a great technology to have in our back pocket when other sources of gas and oil become very difficult/expensive to work. We shouldn't just start fracking like crazy (like we are) because it is not going to end up being environmentaly friendly on a large scale.

Right now, the EPA is saying Fracking is safe and the people who are doing it are acting responsible. Again the EPA has stated that there is not one case where Fracking has polluted the ground water. If a time comes when fly by night Fracking operations are not doing it as they should, then that will be time to crack down on these operations. But so far despite the bullshit feed to low information "We love our politicians who take good selfies" voters, Fracking is not the disaster the Media, Hollywood and their Big Green partners say it is.

I am all in favor of ramping up solar energy (though solar does not work when the panels are covered in snow), but wind is not a utopian solution as one only needs to look at the complete failure and high consumer costs of wind power in Ontario to see what kind of a mess it is.

[Reply]I think we all know the nature of mankind. Instead of using this respite to continue to invest in non-fossil fuel solutions; they'll be put on the back burner until people get the next oil shortage scare.

We unfortunately live in the here and now and can't have enough foresight to think and work towards five years from now.

That's the thing about investment. One expects to see some return on an investment. The returns aren't being seen. This is why the government stepped in to subsidize/grease developing industries.

Good thing about people is that we do keep tabs on good ideas. We can patent them and hold on to them until they become useful. There's shale oil? We know where it is and ho to get to it. When it makes sense we'll go back and get it.

[Reply]the EPA is saying Fracking is safe and the people who are doing it are acting responsible

This is the EPA - an agency that is serious about fear. The EPA would jump at the opportunity to find farts dangerous. And even the EPA doesn't find it dangerous.

normiss

I do feel for those business and communities that use fuel contracts to purchase though. They're getting screwed.
:D

Or how about those places where it can only be delivered for 4 months in the summer?[:/]

Bush prices for a winter’s worth of fuel were set months ago, before the price of crude oil began its steep decline. Rates won’t change until new shipments arrive after breakup in 2015.

Nicholson’s buys its fuel from Delta Western and won’t be changing the pump price until late spring or early summer, said owner Debbie Nicholson.

“They set their prices when the last barge comes in,” she said of Delta Western.

Petroleum suppliers must get fuel to rural hubs and villages during a four-month window between breakup and freezeup, a process that Crowley Maritime Corp. -- the major supplier and Delta Western’s biggest competitor -- calls “one of the most complicated fuel delivery systems in the nation.”

Source: http://www.adn.com/article/20150101/bush-alaska-locked-high-gas-prices-fuel-delivered-last-summer-and-fall
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

stayhigh

Fuck California, we are still at 2.60

I think they are raising another environmental tax of 12 cent per gallon over the two years, so 6 cents this year another 6 next year.

It's ok - I'm sure when gas prices go back up they'll remove that 12 cents right away..... :):S:S:S:S:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:|:|:|:|:|:|[:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]>:(>:(

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

Ever hear of drilling and inserting a pipe deep into the earth?

Gosh, they have pipes that never break or leak?

And do you believe that after pumping tons of chemicals deep into the Earth at extreme pressure, that stuff will always just play nice and stay there?

Actually, fracking has been going on for over 60 years
What has changed now is the horizonal drilling

The EPA has stated that no ground water polution has even been seen due to fracking. Period
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

We shouldn't just start fracking like crazy (like we are) because it is not going to end up being environmentaly friendly on a large scale.

Just out of curiousity, given your point above, what do you think of this?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/01/14/1-million-tons-of-pressurised-co2-stored-beneath-decatur-illinois/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

quade

There will be winners AND losers due to the price point of gasoline.

In the minds of the general population which tends toward the philosophy of, "I've got mine. Fuck you!" it will generally be seen as a net positive allowing people to spend more money on other things as opposed to just getting from point A to B.

If fossil fuel consumption goes up, it will not be a positive thing for the US ecology. THE reason costs are coming down is fracking which is almost certainly not a good thing for the US and global ecology.

There is more to life than simply what the price of gas is.

You could have summed this post up with two words. Frack you! :ph34r: