JerryBaumchen

The NRA & Frontline

Quote: "FRONTLINE reveals how the NRA reinvented itself from a group of gun enthusiasts and sportsmen with minimal political focus, to a powerful lobbying force that has consistently succeeded in defeating new gun control legislation."

Cool. If the anti-gun folks would quit trying to take away their guns, they would be happy to get out of politics and go back to just being sportsmen again. They only got into politics because they had to, to preserve their sport and their rights.

It's like complaining about a bunch of homosexuals who came out of the closet to join together and organize to get involved in politics because they weren't allowed to marry like everyone else.

Or complaining about pot smokers who came out of the shadows and organized to get involved in politics to legalize MJ, because what they do doesn't hurt anyone and causes millions to spend time in jail unjustly.

What's so surprising or evil about any of that? It's the natural order of things. If someone tries to prevent you from doing what you love, then you must defend it, or lose it.

I try really hard not to judge something without giving it a fair shot (pun intended).

But given PBS' (particularly NPR's) track record on gun rights, I'm not expecting it to be very even handed.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Drago

Quote: "FRONTLINE reveals how the NRA reinvented itself from a group of gun enthusiasts and sportsmen with minimal political focus, to a powerful lobbying force that has consistently succeeded in defeating new gun control legislation."

Cool. If the anti-gun folks would quit trying to take away their guns, they would be happy to get out of politics and go back to just being sportsmen again. They only got into politics because they had to, to preserve their sport and their rights.

It's like complaining about a bunch of homosexuals who came out of the closet to join together and organize to get involved in politics because they weren't allowed to marry like everyone else.

Or complaining about pot smokers who came out of the shadows and organized to get involved in politics to legalize MJ, because what they do doesn't hurt anyone and causes millions to spend time in jail unjustly.

What's so surprising or evil about any of that? It's the natural order of things. If someone tries to prevent you from doing what you love, then you must defend it, or lose it.

Kinda like the USPA.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>It's like complaining about a bunch of homosexuals who came out of the closet to join
>together and organize to get involved in politics because they weren't allowed to marry
>like everyone else.

More like complaining about a bunch of greens who banded together to get involved in politics because conservatives don't allow them to buy solar panels to put on their roofs.

billvon

>It's like complaining about a bunch of homosexuals who came out of the closet to join
>together and organize to get involved in politics because they weren't allowed to marry
>like everyone else.

More like complaining about a bunch of greens who banded together to get involved in politics because conservatives don't allow them to buy solar panels to put on their roofs.

Not "more like", but it is yet another example. When a group's interests are threatened, they'll enter politics to make sure their views are heard and respected. I'd expect nothing else.

And for Airdvr, yep, no different, same thing. Why do we band together to have an Airspace Defense Fund? Because of loonies like those Citizens for Quiet Skies folks. Who also have a right to band together for political purposes. And then we let the courts decide. All orderly and civilized.

None of these groups are evil. They're just participating in democracy.

Unlike Drago's country, where Putin decide everything. You no like what Putin say, you disappear...

Drago

If the anti-gun folks would quit trying to take away their guns, they would be happy to get out of politics and go back to just being sportsmen again.

I'm pretty sure that's nonsense.

Those in power will generally do everything they can to retain power. Fear is an extremely powerful tool in this regard. The NRA continually pushes the idea that "somebody" is going to come and take their guns and while it's true there really are a few people in this world who want ALL guns destroyed, there are very few in government who care to even look that "third rail" from a distance.

Look at all the panic and gun sales and ammo shortages caused by the notion Obama was going to take everybody's guns. Nonsense . . . but it did wonders for sales.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lets ask him. Quade, you say that no one has come for the guns, you even put it out that the NRA thinks someone is coming for ALL guns. I doubt anyone with the NRA thinks that. Have you actually seen the past proposals for weapon restrictions? The ignorant features they say a weapon could not have that makes it an assault weapon?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

quade

Those in power will generally do everything they can to retain power. Fear is an extremely powerful tool in this regard. The NRA continually pushes the idea that "somebody" is going to come and take their guns and while it's true there really are a few people in this world who want ALL guns destroyed, there are very few in government who care to even look that "third rail" from a distance.

Look at all the panic and gun sales and ammo shortages caused by the notion Obama was going to take everybody's guns. Nonsense . . . but it did wonders for sales.

Bolding mine.

You mean like in Colorado or New York?

Or in Washington (state), where they managed to pass by referendum a rather draconian "universal background check" law that prevents any "transfer" without a background check, even loaning a gun to a friend to go hunting with. Or (depending on how it's interpreted) handing a gun to a friend at a shooting range to let them try it.

Or in DC, where they were very serious about universal background checks and banning AR-15s (and a bunch of other stuff) in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting?

It's a lot less popular than in the mid-90s, but it hasn't gone away.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Or in Washington (state), where they managed to pass by referendum a rather draconian "universal background check" law that prevents any "transfer" without a background check, even loaning a gun to a friend to go hunting with. Or (depending on how it's interpreted) handing a gun to a friend at a shooting range to let them try it.

Luckily the LEO's are more intelligent than the lawmakers and from what I have read are not going to be out looking for us if we loan a firearm to a friend - It appears that the law enforcement officers are not out to make lawful owners into criminals - time will tell I suppose.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

quade

***If the anti-gun folks would quit trying to take away their guns, they would be happy to get out of politics and go back to just being sportsmen again.

Nahhhh
they do not look for excuses to take peoples guns

No way

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/02/veteran-and-former-cop-sues-after-guns-confiscated-because-he-sought-treatment-for-insomnia/

You dont care to see do you Paul[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

airdvr

Agreed. Should have been the NRA vs. Frontline.

I think the goal of the producers was to see how many times they could cut from scenes of school shootings to Wayne Lapierre, as if to imply that he and the NRA had something to do with those events.

Drago

***Agreed. Should have been the NRA vs. Frontline.

I think the goal of the producers was to see how many times they could cut from scenes of school shootings to Wayne Lapierre, as if to imply that he and the NRA had something to do with those events.

I'd put about as much into this frontline episode about as much as this special documentary about a true gentleman...clayton bigsby.

Long live clayton bigsby!!;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_eVDnfXezI

I just now streamed it.

Yes, their POV was that of the anti-gun crowd, but I would also look at it as flattering to the NRA for portraying them as a very polished and effective lobbying machine, and for showing LaPierre as a master of politics.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I just now streamed it.

Yes, their POV was that of the anti-gun crowd, but I would also look at it as flattering to the NRA for portraying them as a very polished and effective lobbying machine, and for showing LaPierre as a master of politics.

True, but the most effective part of the NRA isn't the lobbying and the leadership.
It's the members.

Who vote and write letters and actually get out and do stuff.

After Sandy Hook, polls reported something like 90% in favor of stronger laws.
Yet congresscritters were receiving mail in the opposite percentages. That's one of the main reasons the measures failed. Not the lobbying, not the money. The response from the constituents.

I just now streamed it.

Was this episode uploaded somewhere? In the land of the frozen tundra where people's heads split in two when we talk, I can't always watch videos from the USA. But sometimes I can watch them.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

I just now streamed it.

Was this episode uploaded somewhere? In the land of the frozen tundra where people's heads split in two when we talk, I can't always watch videos from the USA. But sometimes I can watch them.

Have you tried an anonymous proxy?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I just now streamed it.

I watched it on the PBS website. It didn't seem to me that they had a POV one way or the other. It seemed more like a general history of why the gun debate is where it's at today, without saying one "side" or the other is wrong.