maadmax

How can anyone say "God doesn't exist" ?

kallend

It is clear that the creator of the video is reading something into physics that simply isn't there. He is operating way beyond his level of understanding.

You assume you know more than he does. Can you entertain the possibility that he is operating beyond your level of understanding?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

You assume you know more than he does.

Well, yes. He does. He has the paperwork to prove it as well.

That's the thing about physics; it ultimately lives or dies with facts. Contrast that with religion which seems to not matter if it can't be supported by facts as long as the person "believes" it. Kinda like the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny.

Ultimately the basis for physics is facts, whereas the basis for religion is simply belief regardless of facts.

So, yes, in fact, Kallend does KNOW more.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quagmirian

Any intelligent person will not say that God does not exist. You can say that you don't believe in God and that there is no evidence to suggest that you should.

To which particular god do you refer? All of them (there are tens of thousands that have been named)?

The evidence in support of the existence of the judeo-christian god is identical to the evidence in favor of any other. I'm rather partial to Hephaestus.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Over on the RationalSkeptics forum they started discussing this, then author himself jumped in on post #7: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-debunking/for-the-atheists-by-youtuber-johananraatz-t32484.html

It goes on for 12 pages, but I only read the first one.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kallend

***Any intelligent person will not say that God does not exist. You can say that you don't believe in God and that there is no evidence to suggest that you should.

To which particular god do you refer? All of them (there are tens of thousands that have been named)?

The evidence in support of the existence of the judeo-christian god is identical to the evidence in favor of any other. I'm rather partial to Hephaestus.

If ya gotta choose, go with Hinduism. Stack the deck in your favor. ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gadadhara-pandit-dasa/the-33-million-demigods-o_b_1737207.html
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

muff528

..... I'm rather partial to Hephaestus.

Wasn't he Matt Dillon's sidekick? Or maybe he was Mr. Spock's blacksmith. I get them confused.

Sounds like Hepatitis . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I see little difference between religious zealotry and anti-religious zealotry.

Exactly how many anti religion zealots have flown hijacked aircraft into building at 400kts? THAT is the difference. The most that we anti religion zealots do is write a book, go on tour and harass politicians who want to be theocrats.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

maadmax

***It is clear that the creator of the video is reading something into physics that simply isn't there. He is operating way beyond his level of understanding.

Enlighten me!

No problem.

Assuming you have the credentials to get in as a Freshman (by no means a given), a good four years of pressure cooker study should get you going.

That's if you really work hard, and can afford the tuition.

Tink1717

I see little difference between religious zealotry and anti-religious zealotry.

Exactly how many anti religion zealots have flown hijacked aircraft into building at 400kts? THAT is the difference. The most that we anti religion zealots do is write a book, go on tour and harass politicians who want to be theocrats.

I see Atheists are fighting and killing each other again, over who doesn't believe in any God the most. Oh, no..wait.. that never happens.
Ricky Gervais

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismmyths/p/AtheismKills.htm
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

kallend

It is clear that the creator of the video is reading something into physics that simply isn't there. He is operating way beyond his level of understanding.

This kind of tied into he same ideas as the video in the OP

Through the worm hole is an awesome series :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KByhu3HKy5s&list=UUrylPM-AzEM3d0Uslhy5WAA
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

billvon

>Materialism and Naive Realism are not compatible with Quantum Mechanics.

Of course they are. Both the materialism and realism are entirely compatible with physics. (Note that "I don't understand QM" is not a sufficient argument to demonstrate that it is incompatible with materialism.)

However, agree that anything "naive" is generally incompatible with physics.

Yes, Physics on a General Relativity/ macro understanding. Quantum Physics , No.

I watched the full video; though well edited and incorporating some names/references to real scientists, it was mightily flawed. Not to be condescending, but were you able to really follow the first 16mins or just the last bit when he shifted to "Jesus mode"?

The best lies/falsehoods are where you mix in some truth to add credibility. Here they did add some correct science, but diluted it with their own conjecture.

I don't know much of this Johanan Raatz, but I'd personally debate him. Just because you read something somewhere (internet, book or magazine) doesn't make it true.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."

Albert Einstein

For most people science is just another story that they have absorbed as second hand information. Real thinkers such as Einstein, John Wheeler and Tesla may have a very different understanding of the world which may be impossible to communicate to people whose powers of perception and ability to interpret those perceptions are poor. Does God exist? For you, maybe not. But it is a fool who declares that "Because I cannot perceive God, God does not exist," and who at the same time earnestly believes in the story of reality he learned in books but has never experienced. To defend one's borrowed opinion as "logical" does a disservice to logic and merely shows ignorance. A wise man would say "I don't know."
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

A wise man would say "I don't know."

Then by that logic your postulated "wise man" would also say "I don't know" to whether Santa Claus exists, for no other reason than because the human mind can fantasize the abstract idea.

Which, as before, is to say: Nonsense.