stayhigh

What's your thought over an inmate taking over 2 hours to die in a botched execution?

There are plenty of ways to kill a person. Lethal injection? A 100cc bolus of air stuck in a vein will kill quickly. It'll hurt a lot for a few seconds until the person passes out/strokes out, but it's about as immediate as death can get from an injection.

Would be cruel to a person who is awake. I wouldn't think it cruel to a person who has been knocked out.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

There are plenty of ways to kill a person. Lethal injection? A 100cc bolus of air stuck in a vein will kill quickly. It'll hurt a lot for a few seconds until the person passes out/strokes out, but it's about as immediate as death can get from an injection.

Would be cruel to a person who is awake. I wouldn't think it cruel to a person who has been knocked out.

I agree
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I think I've said this on here before, but vets put dogs, horses, etc. to sleep all the time - quickly, humanely, effectively. Are our elected officials too goddamn stupid to ask a veterinarian what he uses to put down a 1200 pound horse?
You don't have to outrun the bear.

normiss

Some people were given the death penalty for absolutely nothing whatsoever.
Others, because they were black.

That's a big part of the problem.

Actually, I think that's THE problem with the death penalty. The method of execution is secondary.

I think sometimes the investegators take an easy way out and don't look into enough things (leads). Prosecutors have to convince themselves that the person charged is guilty in order to argue the death penalty. Then they have no moral qualms about manipulating the evidence. That makes the system seem like a jury of 1.

There are certainly people who do things that are so horrendous that they deserve to die. But since the death penalty is not reversable it should be "to a certainty", not just "beyond reasonable doubt."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Bertt

I think I've said this on here before, but vets put dogs, horses, etc. to sleep all the time - quickly, humanely, effectively. Are our elected officials too goddamn stupid to ask a veterinarian what he uses to put down a 1200 pound horse?

Or they could just read Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_euthanasia
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Niki1

There are certainly people who do things that are so horrendous that they deserve to die. But since the death penalty is not reversable it should be "to a certainty", not just "beyond reasonable doubt."

That is not a legal standard. "beyond a reasonable doubt" is the highest standard we have and it seems a woefully inadequate basis on which to enforce the death penalty.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Bertt

Excellent point.

regulator

***I think I've said this on here before, but vets put dogs, horses, etc. to sleep all the time - quickly, humanely, effectively. Are our elected officials too goddamn stupid to ask a veterinarian what he uses to put down a 1200 pound horse?

Excellent point.

Cervical dislocation[edit]

Cervical dislocation, or displacement of the neck, is a simple and common method of killing small animals such as mice. Performed properly, it causes instant[citation needed] death, and it requires no equipment other than a pair of gloves for protection while handling the animal. The only possible drawback is that the handler must know the proper method of executing the movement which will cause the cervical displacement. Without proper training and method education, there is a risk of not causing instant death, which can cause severe pain if done improperly.

Guess they don't always get it right either....

The drugs used with animals appeasr to be similar to those use don humans. Except that the drug companies are not willing to sell their product to kill humans, where they are willing to sell it to kill animals.

The compounding pharmacies have very limited oversight, with no guarantee that their product is as effective as it should be.

.. .......................
A small percentage of. Criminals are so sick and twisted that they only way to prevent them from re-offending is to execute them (e.g. Willy Picton) Executing Willy Picton also helps prevent him from naming all accomplices or alluding to investigators' mistakes.

normiss

Life without parole fixes that.

......:::...................... ......

Yes, life without parole keeps perverts out of other peoples' pants but it costs something between $30,000 and $50,000 per year. After how many years confinement does execution cost less to the tax payer?

riggerrob

***Life without parole fixes that.

......:::...................... ......

Yes, life without parole keeps perverts out of other peoples' pants but it costs something between $30,000 and $50,000 per year. After how many years confinement does execution cost less to the tax payer?

I was in interested in this. The answer is Lots. It varies from state to state but most studies show the death penalty always costs more (with any reasonable lifespan of the prisoner. If they live to be 300 the answer may be different). The trials are much more expensive, the cost of keeping someone on death row is much more expensive than a lifer and so on.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Bertt

Do you really have to ask?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

>I've always wonder why death penalty costs more than keeping prisoner alive for
>rest of their lives.

Because it's not something you can afford to screw up. (And even with all the money we spend we DO sometimes screw it up, which bodes poorly for cutting corners in the future.)

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time

That presumes that the person convicted of the crime is the one who actually did it.

Since Man is acting as the judge and jury, and Man is flawed, mistakes can and have been made.

It's MAN'S LAW, Not God's law.

Man's law shouldn't have the power to impose a punishment that Man is not capable of rescinding.

- Dan G

Sounds like you have an immediate presumption of guilt.

Your opinion, to which you are entitled. So use it wisely.

One must wonder what you would feel like were those tables turned.

I'm not a murderer. As far as the tables being turned, they're not. So nothing more to say here.