promise5

What's everyone's opinion on convicted and registered sex offenders being TI's?

>What I did conclude, imo, is if--in fact--there are a disproportionate number of
>non-serious offenders listed to threatening and clearly dangerous, then certainly
>there stands to be great improvement on the laws which require one to register. I
>can agree it would be of much better use if it were limited to those offenders
>people really need to be aware of.

Definitely agreed, and if such changes were made I would support it as a way to (for example) screen TI's before hiring them.

kelpdiver

...this does feel like a burden on the student that is more a discouragement to jump than a viable solution.

Oh, it'd definitely be a huge pain in the ass. But why would obtaining a personally tailored assessment of risk of a tangential negative interaction when receiving a service be anything but a huge pain in the ass?

Accomplishing what people say they want is usually possible but is often difficult and requires distributed effort. Usually there's an easier centralized way that does anywhere from slightly worse to a completely ineffective job at accomplishing the stated goal. I think the decision to support such a centralized measure hangs much more prominently on the level of sacrifice required by the proponent (zero recurring effort is pretty attractive) than it does on the effectiveness or shortcomings of the measure.

Amazon

Now when it comes to any kind of sexual predator whether it be rapists or child molestation, I as a former victim would see all of them removed from our society to a place where they can NEVER prey on others ever again. Each predator usually has many victims whose lives have been changed by the predators crass desires. I think they would enjoy the wide open spaces of the far end of the Aleutian Islands where they have no prey to be "tempted" ( as if that is EVER a womans or childs fault>:(>:()

I completely agree with you - the effects of sexual assault are horrific and far reaching and that kind of predator should be removed from society for the well being and safety of everyone. I was just trying to show that there are ways of dealing with the minor incidents of drunken stupidity that we've all probably been guilty of without having to resort to prison and without the person having to be on the sex offenders register for the rest of their life.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Needs the US to grow up about the differences between what is and isn't an actual treat to society when it comes to the category of sexual offense. Unfortunately, the US goes bat shit crazy on the subject and lumps everything into the same category.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It occurs to me that there is a HUGE risk for the DZO in hiring a registered sex offender that doesn't exist for most business owners--and that no one has mentioned yet in this rather long thread.

A TI or other employee of the DZ will often end up living in a trailer at the DZ. The registered sex offender will then, as a condition of their registry, have to report that address to law enforcement. Thus when people look up those sex offender maps that are available on the Web, the arrow will point directly to the DZO's business. Probably not the kind of publicity the DZO wants. This is a problem that wouldn't exist in industries (like most industries) where it isn't customary for the employees to live at their place of work.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

quade

Would make taking a cab pretty difficult.

Eh, just take a look at the child safety lock when you get in and make sure it's disengaged... you'll be fine. :P

By the way, I'm a fan of the "let the DZO look into their potential employees and make their own decisions about their business" approach in this matter. The rest of my posts are just me being my usual broken record self, lamenting the spread of "someone oughta..." syndrome.

rifleman

***Now when it comes to any kind of sexual predator whether it be rapists or child molestation, I as a former victim would see all of them removed from our society to a place where they can NEVER prey on others ever again. Each predator usually has many victims whose lives have been changed by the predators crass desires. I think they would enjoy the wide open spaces of the far end of the Aleutian Islands where they have no prey to be "tempted" ( as if that is EVER a womans or childs fault>:(>:()

I completely agree with you - the effects of sexual assault are horrific and far reaching and that kind of predator should be removed from society for the well being and safety of everyone. I was just trying to show that there are ways of dealing with the minor incidents of drunken stupidity that we've all probably been guilty of without having to resort to prison and without the person having to be on the sex offenders register for the rest of their life.

And I do like that kind of option.. it might actually make a difference in some peoples lives to keep them on notice.. you made a mistake... but do not make it again. It speaks to that whole time to grow up and take responsibility for your life. Welcome to society.

And the sex offender that doesn't live at the DZ?

Or just doesn't give a d*** what anyone thinks and is going to do what they want and bring a TI could be one of those things.

Just saying.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

quade

Needs the US to grow up about the differences between what is and isn't an actual treat to society when it comes to the category of sexual offense. Unfortunately, the US goes bat shit crazy on the subject and lumps everything into the same category.

amazing what excessive legislation does to common sense. Especially when pols try to pander, or 'zero tolerance' mentalities take hold

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

AndyBoyd

Wow. I try to let this go, and I'm attacked from all sides. Amazing.

What's so amazing about it?

You may have let it go, but that doesn't mean everyone just shuts up because you don't wanna talk about it anymore.

You came in here saying that you don't mean to be disrespectful by talking down to anyone, and then in your next posts you split hairs about the meaning of an "attorney" and tell turtle that he is wrong, has no idea what he's talking about and should just give up...that you're not going to bother because it's not worth your time. Fine...maybe you're just busy had a bad day - we've all been there.

...but I find it entertaining that you'd come back in here crying about being perceived as the "bad guy."

AndyBoyd

Well, I hope you and Turtle have great weekends. Take care guys.

Thanks! I hope you had a good weekend too...and now that I have gotten this post out of my system, I can get on with my life.:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

That risk exists on any and all convictions.
It's part of the way the game is played.

What all this boils down to IMO is, if a DZ wants to perform background checks, they hire an outside company such as Selection.com. Pay your fee, put all risk on their background check.
What could possibly go wrong????
:):):)

You already got called out by Ryoder for making such a ridiculous post (Post 150). Turtle has conceded the point I was making (Post 151). Yet you still want to fight! Dude, the fight is over on this. You lost. A long time ago. Let it go. Please.

This will be my last comment on this. I am sure that you will take one last shot at me. Go ahead. I hope it makes you feel better.

Amazon

There are any number of jobs. Hundreds. But, being a TI isn't one of them. I'm not on a witch hunt.

I just wanted one example.

Eunuch???

*In my House, M.D. Voice*

Wouldn't matter...it's about the power.

A much more hopeful/practical option is addressing the psychological problem of power that manifests itself within the human psyche in a variety of nefarious measures.

Castration would just be revenge...and we all know how much you're against that.

Coreece

There are any number of jobs. Hundreds. But, being a TI isn't one of them. I'm not on a witch hunt.

Eunuch???

A much more hopeful/practical option is addressing the psychological problem of power that manifests itself within the human psyche in a variety of nefarious measures.

Castration would just be revenge...and we all know how much you're against that.

Hey.. if they are into blaming everyone else around them for tempting them with those irresistible bodies.. I would think they would jump at the chance to remove the problem so that temptation is no longer and issue and then have a respectable profession with interesting uniforms. I think its a good profession for them... once they meet the "qualifications"

Amazon

Eunuch???

Hey.. if they are into blaming everyone else around them for tempting them with those irresistible bodies.. I would think they would jump at the chance to remove the problem so that temptation is no longer and issue and then have a respectable profession with interesting uniforms. I think its a good profession for them... once they meet the "qualifications"

*Again, in my Gregory House Voice*

Perhaps you're not familiar with the technological advancements with regard to various sexual apparati. Watch the movie "Irreversible" and tell me if that guy actually needed a penis to get off...

quade

***I disagree.
Tandem Examiners should refuse to train TI candidates who have been convicted of sexual offences.

How would they know? Are you expecting the examiners to also become private investigators?

.................................................................................

A: that potential TI played some disturbing head games with me
B: my predecessor (TE) warned me
C: another skydiver warned me about head games the potential TI liked to play with (construction) co-workers

Coreece

Eunuch???

*Again, in my Gregory House Voice*

Perhaps you're not familiar with the technological advancements with regard to various sexual apparati. Watch the movie "Irreversible" and tell me if that guy actually needed a penis to get off...

We once had a dog that was nearly impossible to deal with. Once he was fixed he was much happier and appreciate of his place in life.... no more fighting with the other dogs.. no more vet bills/time in the hospital.... That approach seems to work in many predatory animals.

If the potential TI was convicted (of a sexual offence) as a teenager, but kept his nose clean for the next decade, I would quietly ignore his earlier problems.

Similarly, I know a guy who was a serious "stoner" when he first arrived a the DZ, but he sobered up and turned into a great FJC and PFF Instructor. I did dozens of PFF jumps with him and thought he was one of the better free-fall instructors I had the pleasure to work with.
He was never physically robust enough to become a TI.