brenthutch

Don Sterling, racist, billionaire, Democrat.

billvon

First post: Racist billionaire Donald Sterling is a democrat. Claim they are "enlightened" ones. What hypocrites.

Turns out he's a republican.

Inevitable followup: Well . . . why label a whole group of people for the actions of a few?

(This thinking will continue at least until the next democrat does something bad.)

Mother Jones?

Far-left site Mother Jones reports that Sterling is a “registered Republican.” However, according to campaign contribution records, Sterling has only given money to Democrat candidates and liberal causes. Additionally, Sterling has accepted several awards from liberal causes throughout the years. Therefore, one has to ask, if he is a “Republican,” then why would he only support Democrats?

By Matthew Burke
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Mother Jones?

And California voter registration records. See below.

You know, you've gotten your ass handed to you twice now. Perhaps a little more research before you decide someone is either a hero for your side or a villain on the other guy's side might avoid that in the future. (That and not trusting FOX, Drudge, Rush, the NRO etc 100%)

billvon

>Mother Jones?

And California voter registration records. See below.

You know, you've gotten your ass handed to you twice now. Perhaps a little more research before you decide someone is either a hero for your side or a villain on the other guy's side might avoid that in the future. (That and not trusting FOX, Drudge, Rush, the NRO etc 100%)

So you know his voting record too?

No Bill

My assistant is still where it belongs thanks[:D
Abraham Lincoln

[Reply] if he is a “Republican,” then why would he only support Democrats?

Because it makes sense to play both sides of the court. Check out Enron - they only greased Republicans. Versus Global Crossing - who greased GOP and Dems alike. Guess which company had the big investigations and convictions.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

normiss

nope.

He's not the only racist asshole on the planet.

There might be something in the ownership/league agreements though.

Yeah if he signed something saying that a conversation recorded illegally and relayed to the public could lose him his team… well, fair enough. But reflexively I'm not liking the lynch mob mentality on the whole.
cavete terrae.

>am I the only person mortified that what this person said in private is leading to
>people trying to strip property from him?

Nope. I support his right to say that 100%. I also support the right of others to make decisions based on what he said.

People in the US have the right to come to work and say "all women are whores." Their employers also have the right to fire them for such behavior.

political parties aside, am I the only person mortified that what this person said in private is leading to people trying to strip property from him?

Uh...no. The issue has been raised but few if any are listening and the overriding issue has been determined by the press,political movers and shakers and the rest of the usual suspects are his bigoted remarks and for that Sterling is shall we say, "being forced of his own island."

Professional sports here in the States have taken on a civic sense of responsibility by endorsing trendy issues determined to be for the common good. Some causes are good etc etc. Additionally, the NBA like the other major sports here do have By-Laws and conditions of ownership which do include public responsibility, keeping up an image etc etc; all to protect the brand. Owners are bound by legal contract to comply.

His comments aside, Sterling does not have a history of trying to make his team a winner. He's traded marquee players who could get him a Championship because he didn't want to pay a higher salary. If ya don't have a desire to win, whaadya doin there in the first place?

With his comments, he's hosed himself and is a self branded bigot by his own devices.

I'm still wondering why with 100 hours of taped conversation without him knowing it, his girlfriend has not been charged with a felony under California law which requires a two party consent.

Personal opinion...this is the opening act and far from over.

normiss

I keep thinking for a guy with that much money, you'd think he could land a much better looking gold digger.
That chick has the jaw line of a tranny.

She looks like she used to be attractive until she got plastic surgery, lip injections and who knows what other "enhancements" or "improvements." It's bizarre what LA does to people and that people in that city consider this obvious alteration of one's looks attractive.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

grue

political parties aside, am I the only person mortified that what this person said in private is leading to people trying to strip property from him?

Political correctness is the way to stop free speech
The thought police are real here

And if you keep this opinion you are next to loose

On the other hand the NBA is a private company
They can do what they want with this
His only recourse would be to file suit
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***political parties aside, am I the only person mortified that what this person said in private is leading to people trying to strip property from him?

And if you keep this opinion you are next to loose

On the other hand the NBA is a private company
They can do what they want with this
His only recourse would be to file suit

This is not a free speech issue--the government is not going to arrest or fine Donald Sterling in any way.

This is simply the product of Sterling entering into the marketplace of idea. This is how the founders intended it to work. Good ideas and speech are rewarded and bad ones are punished by the marketplace. Sterling expressed ideas that {most of us} society has determined are repugnant. He is paying the price for that.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

You and your friends from the uber-right seem to have a very difficult time of grasping our First amendment.

Perhaps your tri-cornered hats are on a little tight.

Boomerdog

Uh...no. The issue has been raised but few if any are listening and the overriding issue has been determined by the press,political movers and shakers and the rest of the usual suspects are his bigoted remarks and for that Sterling is shall we say, "being forced of his own island."

Professional sports here in the States have taken on a civic sense of responsibility by endorsing trendy issues determined to be for the common good. Some causes are good etc etc. Additionally, the NBA like the other major sports here do have By-Laws and conditions of ownership which do include public responsibility, keeping up an image etc etc; all to protect the brand. Owners are bound by legal contract to comply.

His comments aside, Sterling does not have a history of trying to make his team a winner. He's traded marquee players who could get him a Championship because he didn't want to pay a higher salary. If ya don't have a desire to win, whaadya doin there in the first place?

With his comments, he's hosed himself and is a self branded bigot by his own devices.

I'm still wondering why with 100 hours of taped conversation without him knowing it, his girlfriend has not been charged with a felony under California law which requires a two party consent.

Personal opinion...this is the opening act and far from over.

grue, and this is only another in a long list of incidents for Sterling. The NBA (as an entity) doesn't want the bad PR.

masterblaster72

***I keep thinking for a guy with that much money, you'd think he could land a much better looking gold digger.
That chick has the jaw line of a tranny.

She looks like she used to be attractive until she got plastic surgery, lip injections and who knows what other "enhancements" or "improvements." It's bizarre what LA does to people and that people in that city consider this obvious alteration of one's looks attractive.

Snake Pliskin would agree

Shall we all gander a guess to how many times the n-word is thrown out player to player on the basketball court during a game or on the football field during a game? The media has recordings of that on-field banter, yet that never makes the prime time news. hmmm why not?

kawisixer01

Shall we all gander a guess to how many times the n-word is thrown out player to player on the basketball court during a game or on the football field during a game? The media has recordings of that on-field banter, yet that never makes the prime time news. hmmm why not?

Probably has something to do with many groups who have experienced the kind of discrimination they have of taking back the word from those who choose to use it the way it was historically used.

I really do prefer that those who dig the word so much... go for it.. I prefer those who suffer from that form of "ism" to out themselves.. so I can avoid them like the fucking plague to society that they really are. Usually the same persons suffer from many other despicable "ism's" as well.. so it removes just that many dipshits from the circle of people I am willing to associate with. It makes for a much more rewarding life.

Southern_Man

***Exactly what price is he paying????

$2.5 million fine, banishment from anything to do with the team or league, possibly forced to sell his team.

Yup, words have consequences. Not sure why people are so surprised about that concept.

Plus, Mr. Sterling is free to start himself another basketball league.

Plus his investment went from $12 million to $800 million or so. DOn't think he is losing money on this deal.

SkyDekker

******Exactly what price is he paying????

$2.5 million fine, banishment from anything to do with the team or league, possibly forced to sell his team.

Yup, words have consequences. Not sure why people are so surprised about that concept.

Plus, Mr. Sterling is free to start himself another basketball league.

Plus his investment went from $12 million to $800 million or so. DOn't think he is losing money on this deal.

Right, probably the banishment thing is a much larger punishment than the money. He isn't part of the club any more. So speech has both monetary and social consequences.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"