Boogers

Guns versus Marijuana

What I wanted to vote on wasn't a choice. I don't drink & I don't smoke...cigs or weed. Smoking isn't good for you it's offensives & it stinks to high heaven. And it's against my religion. (We're Lutheran) that's the biggest reason 4 business men & life long friends bought our own plane. A 78 C-182 wide body. Sure is nice! We got a great deal on it $165K. New interior, new paint & engine completely rebuilt. It flies like a dream. This way we don't have to tolerate DZ politics. God knows there's enough of that here.

Best-
Richard

Boogers

News: "Medical Marijuana Users in Illinois to Forfeit Right to Bear Arms"

While complete BS that's already a 10 year felony under Federal law.

18 USC 922(g) It shall be unlawful for any person

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or
possess in or affecting commerce,
any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

where the government believes that a gun which at one point moved in interstate is enough to satisfy the "possess in or affecting commerce" clause.

kelpdiver

The Feds still don't acknowledge the rights of people in WA or CO to do it, nor any of the states for medical use. From their perspective, there is no lawful use of marijuana per:

Form 4473 11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to,
marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

One could have acquired their firearms before becoming medical marijuana users.

You only need to be 18 to buy long arms on a 4473 and 21 to buy handguns; although herniated discs don't become common in men until we age past 30.

Drugs are drugs.

We do not infringe on natural rights due to alcohol use. We do not infringe on natural rights due to prescription drug use. Why would we start with THC? Because it was previously illegal? So was alcohol.

This is where libertarians make perfect sense. Put what you want in your body. Don't hurt anyone else. Don't expect others to pay for the consequences.

Similar to alcohol. Don't drive impaired. Don't stagger around in public impaired. Don't engage in hazardous activities while impaired.

This is a pretty dangerous argument. Some conservatives who have bought the argument of drugs being bad will go along with it because they don't like pot smokers. Some liberals will go along with it because it is one more step in destroying the second amendment.

Take a deep breath. Take a longer view. Drugs, guns, electronics...just tools.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

SkyDekker

except that a beer doesn't make one intoxicated, one joint does tend to have that effect.

Some people have a drink because they enjoy the taste. How many people smoke dope, not to get stoned, but for the refined taste of the substance?

As a former substance use disorder counselor I have heard this statement many times during assessment of alcoholics. They often state they only drink to relax or they like the taste.

It is the statement of an alcoholic in denial. Intoxication is being aware of the effect of the substance. If you drink one beer and not feel it you drink another and so on. If the effect/affect is not the purpose of consumption then drink non-alcoholic beer.

Beer is plural, the only reason to drink it is to feel some level of intoxication.

Alcoholism is defined not by the physiological or emotional affect but by health, employment, family or legal problems.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Andy9o8

Some people have a drink because they enjoy the taste. How many people smoke dope, not to get stoned, but for the refined taste of the substance?

There was a time when people could distinguish between the taste of Columbian, Mexican, Jamaican, Blonde, Panama Red, etc. So I'm told.

And then along came Humboldt County Sinsemilla and...I don't remember.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

"It is the statement of an alcoholic in denial. Intoxication is being aware of the effect of the substance. If you drink one beer and not feel it you drink another and so on. If the effect/affect is not the purpose of consumption then drink non-alcoholic beer. "

This not true of all people Ron, maybe given your experience in counseling, as the people were surely there due to their substance abuse, some people DO have only one or two drinks. With no desperate seeking of a buzz.
Non alcoholic beer tastes like shite.

Again, Illinois with a law that is way too tactical. (and another back door attack on private property rights)

Restriction of gun use due to impairment of judgement, etc is practical.

But the reason that causes the impairment should be generic and not focus on anything specific. Why single out pot or alcohol specifically when the list of things that impair driving is huge, and any of them could make a person dangerous behind the wheel?

Do what you like with your body - no matter how stupid. But if your dumb habit puts others in danger, that's where you crossed the line.

(It's like making "cell phones" in cars illegal. It's stupid to single out one thing specifically. What should be illegal should be crappy and dangerous driving - whether it's caused by cell phone use, eating, putting on makeup, reading,....is really beside the point)

DavJohn's post is most appropriate of the bunch.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

normiss

My best friend was an alcoholic.
He would be stumbling down drunk walking around....the second he sat on his sled, he was the best rider in the pack.
Always scared for him when I saw him headed to his bike.
Floored when I followed him and saw how good he rode.

I don't think it removed any risk though.

Your friend "stumbling down" while walking then biking 'good'....
And Regulator "I concentrate better".....

I don't care, both are impaired and should stay away from the car or bike (or sled) until they cleared up - seriously, this the crap that forces laws to be written because they are NOW crossing that line to endangering others.

This would be true if the impairment was from booze, pot, prescriptions, a knock on the head, or a habit of holding their breathe until they pass out for fun.....(or dizzy from being sick, etc etc etc).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

However, not everybody who drinks is an alcoholic

The definition of an alcoholic is some one who has at least 1 drink per day. I've seen sky divers drink like vikings at the DZ after the beer light goes on. I exit stage left when this activity begins.

Best-
Richard

rwieder

The definition of an alcoholic is some one who has at least 1 drink per day. I've seen sky divers drink like vikings at the DZ after the beer light goes on. I exit stage left when this activity begins.

Best-
Richard

Care to show me where you get this definition?

I've heard a lot of different definitions, but "One drink every day" really doesn't fit any I've come across.

Most of them include "once you start drinking, you can't stop."
Anyone who can have just one drink, and then stop, usually isn't considered one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Apparently we don't have the requisite religious taint on reality to make the judgement calls on other's behavior.

I'm really crushed to know I'm an alcoholic.
Damn G2 is addictive and I actually LIKE good beer.
Yesterday, I had TWO bottle of water and an ENTIRE beer to myself.

I'm clearly fucked.

wolfriverjoe

Best-
Richard

Care to show me where you get this definition?

I've heard a lot of different definitions, but "One drink every day" really doesn't fit any I've come across.

Most of them include "once you start drinking, you can't stop."
Anyone who can have just one drink, and then stop, usually isn't considered one.

I have seen it on one of thoise checklist, then when you say yes to more than 2 or 3 of the questions you would be an alcoholic. I have never seen it as the de facto definition of an alcoholic.

rwieder

Best-
Richard

One drink a day makes you an alcoholic? Does that include Jesus and his Disciples drinking wine? I think you went a little overboard here.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.