Boogers

Guns versus Marijuana

News: "Medical Marijuana Users in Illinois to Forfeit Right to Bear Arms"

Quote: "Illinois is allowing patients with over 41 medical conditions to legally smoke pot, but a new plan proposed by state officials will require them to give up their Second Amendment rights – the right to own a gun. They will also be fingerprinted, have a background check run on them, and pay $150 a year for the right to smoke up."

Link: http://naturalsociety.com/medical-marijuana-users-will-forfeit-right-bear-arms/

So, if you had to choose between your guns and your pot, which would you keep?

Hey, notice how the poll choices rhyme... :)

ryoder

Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Actually, that would make a hell of a lot of sense for people with certain types of alcohol fueled anger issues.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Actually, that would make a hell of a lot of sense for people with certain types of alcohol fueled anger issues.

In that case they've probably already got a criminal record, and the background check will catch 'em.

But along that line, why the fingerprints? Are they expecting pot smokers to be out committing crimes, and this will help catch them when they do? Is it fair to treat them like criminals, when they haven't actually done anything to deserve that yet?

quade

***Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Exactly.
I've been assaulted by drunks.
I've never been assaulted by a pot smoker.
Of all the legal and illegal drugs I've been around, the most physically & mentally debilitating one is still alcohol.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Exactly.
Of all the legal and illegal drugs I've been around, the most physically & mentally debilitating one is still alcohol.

except that a beer doesn't make one intoxicated, one joint does tend to have that effect.

Some people have a drink because they enjoy the taste. How many people smoke dope, not to get stoned, but for the refined taste of the substance?

Some people have a drink because they enjoy the taste. How many people smoke dope, not to get stoned, but for the refined taste of the substance?

There was a time when people could distinguish between the taste of Columbian, Mexican, Jamaican, Blonde, Panama Red, etc. So I'm told.

SkyDekker

*********Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Exactly.

except that a beer doesn't make one intoxicated, one joint does tend to have that effect.

Apples and oranges.

How many pot smokers lose their physical coordination?
How many pot smokers become unpredictable and violent?
How many pot smokers think it is suddenly a good idea to drive twice the speed limit?

And if some drinkers are all about flavor and not getting a buzz, then why are non-alcoholic beer and wine sales nearly non-existent?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Andy9o8

There was a time when people could distinguish between the taste of Columbian, Mexican, Jamaican, Blonde, Panama Red, etc. So I'm told.

Yup and they would be able to tell which one they prefered to get stoned.

ryoder

************Sure, that makes sense...if they also require anyone who drinks to give up the right to own a gun.:S

Exactly.

Apples and oranges.

How many pot smokers lose their physical coordination?
How many pot smokers become unpredictable and violent?
How many pot smokers think it is suddenly a good idea to drive twice the speed limit?

And if some drinkers are all about flavor and not getting a buzz, then why are non-alcoholic beer and wine sales nearly non-existent?

Because the non-alcoholic version doesn't taste as good.

You are comparing pot smokers to those who are drunk, then using that comparison to draw parallels to pot smokers and drinkers.

SkyDekker

Because the non-alcoholic version doesn't taste as good.

You are comparing pot smokers to those who are drunk, then using that comparison to draw parallels to pot smokers and drinkers.

The best comparison of drinkers to smokers is to compare a social drinker who has had less than 1-2 drinks, to a smoker who *has* smoked enough to get a buzz. There is simply no comparison of a *drunk* to a smoker, because marijuana can't cause that level physical/mental incapacitation.

Neither. Because I wouldn't step back into illinois.

That being said I found recently that even though I knew smoking weed is a double edged sword. It holds me back in a financial way because I could get a much better job without it. However it does allow me to just flip a mental switch and temporarily 'forget' about all the abuse I endured as a child. I have a very good memory and now that I have tried to quit for the past few weeks I have remembered so much I want it to stop...but it keeps flowing into my mind. Coupled with the fact that I've been going to therapy and remembering even more the past few weeks have been pretty rough. Some days I feel like driving my car off a bridge to stop remembering...and others I soldier on like it never happened.

Very few. But they also tend to go too slow. Driving too slow can be just as dangerous as driving too fast. Back when I called Mile-Hi Skydiving my home DZ, after an end of the day Safety Meeting and driving back home to Boulder on the Diagonal, I had to remind myself that I was on a highway and was expected to travel at the very least the minimum posted speed limit. It goes both ways here. People are still impaired.

LOL ... did I just out myself? Haha ... I am clean now, honest. Test me. But I could drop a few high profile names (which I won't of course) of some folks who also attended some Safety Meetings. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My best friend was an alcoholic.
He would be stumbling down drunk walking around....the second he sat on his sled, he was the best rider in the pack.
Always scared for him when I saw him headed to his bike.
Floored when I followed him and saw how good he rode.

I don't think it removed any risk though.

Boogers

But along that line, why the fingerprints? Are they expecting pot smokers to be out committing crimes, and this will help catch them when they do? Is it fair to treat them like criminals, when they haven't actually done anything to deserve that yet?

may be as simple as wanting another verification that the holder of the pot ID card is in fact the person it says. And no, not appropriate, just as it isn't for would be ammo purchasers.

You left out a fourth choice: Move out of Illinois to any one of the states where both are your right to have legally.

I've had to deal w/some nasty drunks, but never a violent pot smoker.

You can definitely tell different types of Marijuana apart: different tastes, smells, prices,& highs. Or, so I've heard :)...

PiLFy

You left out a fourth choice: Move out of Illinois to any one of the states where both are your right to have legally.

Where would that be?

The Feds still don't acknowledge the rights of people in WA or CO to do it, nor any of the states for medical use. From their perspective, there is no lawful use of marijuana per:

Form 4473 11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to,
marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

Dude, keep pushing through. It's kind of like opening up something ugly, but once the pressure is relieved, it can start to heal.

Take care.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kelpdiver

***You left out a fourth choice: Move out of Illinois to any one of the states where both are your right to have legally.

Where would that be?

The Feds still don't acknowledge the rights of people in WA or CO to do it, nor any of the states for medical use. From their perspective, there is no lawful use of marijuana per:

Form 4473 11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to,
marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?I wonder how long it will be before the Feds do acknowledge the rights of everyone to use marijuana. The President and his Drug Czar think marijuana is safer than alcohol. The Russians were slaves to vodka. Why not Americans being slaves to marijuana? Keeping the population doped up would lessen the chance of civil unrest, and make it easier to disarm the public. spelling edit
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.