grue

You don't need water, food, or shelter, as long as you have jesus

grue

In fairness - I don't think thats actually what they are saying, they are just trying to provide help in their own way. If that works for some, so be it. Personally I think they are misguided and thats the money would be better spent elsewhere but everyone has an opinion....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Sadly, they are likely quite serious. I cannot tell you how many extremely irrational religious people I know, it's pretty unsettling.. Anyhow, they have 4-5-6 kids, no jobs, constant utilities being shut off, etc, and "God will provide".

I am a deist, however, I believe that 'god' provides common sense. Perhaps they need a better god?
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

FreefallingCari

Sadly, they are likely quite serious. I cannot tell you how many extremely irrational religious people I know, it's pretty unsettling.. Anyhow, they have 4-5-6 kids, no jobs, constant utilities being shut off, etc, and "God will provide".

I am a deist, however, I believe that 'god' provides common sense. Perhaps they need a better god?

If it gives them hope, let them keep their beliefs. Would you rather they turn to violent crime? You can laugh, but there are poor people in need who are happy and live in a family filled with love.

Better god? They probably need a better job or "a" job.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

grue

No. They're fucking con-men.

The secret of the Bible is it's public domain and it's just like printing money. It's possible to get Bibles printed in China for about $0.05 a piece. It's even better when people donate money and there's no proof required the donations are actually used for anything.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

billvon

>If it gives them hope, let them keep their beliefs.

And if they are out of firewood, it might give them something to burn.

I don't know. If I was in desperate straits, I think I would find a slightly different use for a book than fuel for a fire.

In any case, this group seems to be thinking of distributing Bibles in addition to all the standard disaster relief.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I am all for freedom of religion, and the concept of "live and let live". I have a strong negative opinion on organized religion, specifically con artist types that prey on people.
People need to be encouraged to become more self sufficient, to feel a sense of pride in their ability to provide. If they feel they cannot provide, only a deity can, it pushes the spiral further downward. IMHO of course.

I am a deist, however, I believe that 'god' provides common sense.

And what God would that one be?

I do not believe that common sense and belief in an invisible friend are possible, belief requires the suspension of all common sense.

Good troll.

I am busy with my church's food bank today. We distribute food to about 150 families each week. Maybe I will bet back with you later.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

FreefallingCari

I am all for freedom of religion, and the concept of "live and let live". I have a strong negative opinion on organized religion, specifically con artist types that prey on people.
People need to be encouraged to become more self sufficient, to feel a sense of pride in their ability to provide. If they feel they cannot provide, only a deity can, it pushes the spiral further downward. IMHO of course.

++

in addition - "If they feel they cannot provide, only a government can, it pushes the spiral further downward. IMHO of course"

different religions, but dependency = dependency

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

++

in addition - "If they feel they cannot provide, only a government can, it pushes the spiral further downward. IMHO of course"

different religions, but dependency = dependency

I agree. I have always believed in a hand up, not a handout. Safety NET, not hammock.

My biggest area of controversy is that I personally believe that if one cannot afford to have children, then one should not have them. I do not believe that it is cruel or unethical for people to consider their ability to provide BEFORE they have children. I have seen people place more consideration in their ability to afford a CAR, than their financial provision for children.

Obviously sometimes people fall on hard times, hardworking, even previously wealthy people, fall from their heights of success. This is why I believe in a safety net, but it is not a hammock.

This is also why I CRINGE at the thought that because I am CHOOSING to wait until 36-38 to have children, when my house will be paid off, I am somehow a terrible person. I am 32 now. So I am terrible for wanting debt freedom before children? My mortgage is my only debt. I want it *gone* though.

I see RAISING children as a responsibility, not a basic human right. I believe that abortion, adoption, and birth control are all 100% acceptable.

FreefallingCari

I don't think the con artist types are going to prey on these people. They have nothing to give. As for being self sufficient after all your worldly possessions have been taken away, that might be difficult in their situation. It will take years for these people to bounce back compared to disasters in the United States. They just don't have the structure in their country like we do.

Sometimes I count the canned goods on the shelf, and wonder how long we would live if Yellowstone were to blow up in our lifetime or if we were to have multiple large terrorist "events" in this country.

"This is also why I CRINGE at the thought that because I am CHOOSING to wait until 36-38 to have children, when my house will be paid off, I am somehow a terrible person. I am 32 now. So I am terrible for wanting debt freedom before children? My mortgage is my only debt. I want it *gone* though."

My wife had her only child at 34, and quickly had me cut. Of course we had adopted 2 years prior. Now we are raising our adopted daughter's child. We have had her since she was six months old. She is now 10 years old and keeps us on our toes. Mortgage? The farm was paid off, but we have another mortgage This kid can go to college on us or blow it like her mother. The birth kid is a neo nato/nanno (little babies with problems) nurse.
Stop cringing, and give yourself a pat on the back.

I think I may be jaded by corruption and human trafficking cases, but I could see people taking advantage of the families by taking the only valuable asset they have.

:(

mr2mk1g

In a disaster scenario, dysentery and cleanliness in general are major health issues.

Better to have something to wipe your arse on.

Good idea, but using pages of the Koran could get your head whacked off. Better to use a Bible, those dumb Christians will forgive.

FreefallingCari

I think I may be jaded by corruption and human trafficking cases, but I could see people taking advantage of the families by taking the only valuable asset they have.

:(

No. You're being realistic about desperate people.

I don't recall where Jesus placed in the rule of 3s. Can someone refresh me?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

RonD1120

Good troll.

I am busy with my church's food bank today. We distribute food to about 150 families each week. Maybe I will bet back with you later.

The difference is that YOU are helping people to survive. You are making a difference by helping to provide the basic necessity of life. In a situation where the people are worried about having something to eat and staving off life-threatening disease, not to mention needing (life-saving) shelter from the elements, I agree with Grue -- it seems unreal to me that this website is specifically soliciting donations just for bibles. If it were more along the lines of "donate just $10 and we will deliver a native-language bible and a box of food!" I could understand the application of the sentiment from that group.

On a side note, thanks for helping the community, Ron.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!