Do you believe in global warming?

The weather/climate changes
Man has very little to do with it on a global scale
Man CAN severely affect local Eco systems IMO
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

To correctly interpret your poll, one would have to consolidate all of the non-alarmist responses. This would, thus far, produce a 50/50 split. To be more comprehensive, one might consider: "global warming is real and humans are to blame, however the costs of CO2 mitigation far exceeds any benefit."

True, only the first option is in line with IPCC, so it looks like 50/50 for now. I suppose I could have included some more specific options or change the wording of the existing ones... Maybe for another poll. =)

I personally noticed "global warming" growing up in New Hampshire during the 1970's-80's before it was ever big in the news. I vividly remember ice skating on the local ponds starting when I was 6 years old (1977) and the ice was really thick, smooth and lasted into spring. By the time I was a senior in high school in 1989 I was lucky to skate and play hockey for a month or two on decent ice. That being said I do not think humans have had much impact. The output of the sun is not constant and has cycles. I am far more concerned about the combined unnatural heat we add to the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels than by the CO2. A problem, even if caused by humans, will be eventually solved by technology rather than by punitive carbon taxes and fees.

The weather changes, with or without human involvement.

From the article...
"For example, as Earth was emerging out of the last glacial cycle, the warming trend was interrupted 12,800 years ago when temperatures dropped dramatically in only several decades. A mere 1,300 years later, temperatures locally spiked as much as 20°F (11°C) within just several years. Sudden changes like this occurred at least 24 times during the past 100,000 years. In a relative sense, we are in a time of unusually stable temperatures today—how long will it last?"

http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/gladasked/gladice_ages.htm

When the two largest northern land mass countries, Russia and Canada are both experiencing -30s°C at the same time, you know this is not some localized weather issue. Al Gore and David Suzuki are full of shit. The exact opposite of what they said would happen, is happening. There is no shortage of very cold air full of moisture (in other words, snow) here in North America and it sounds like the same can be said for most of the North on the other side of the Globe.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It's not a matter of what I believe or don't believe. It's matter of whether or not I accept the conclusions of the evidence. And based on my knowledge of meteorology, physics, biology, and earth science (all studied at the level of bachelors degree), I accept the consensus that the climate is and has changed due to the human consumption of fossil fuels and its addition of CO2 and other gases.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

That would be a nice, logical thing to believe in except for the unfortunate truth that the consensus hasn't produced any viable theories and predictions. If your "science" can't make predictions, it's junk. And since all the predictions have fallen flat on their asses and then some...well, you get the idea :)
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Nelyubin

***No, it's not true, and since neither one of your links even addressed your claim, you'll have to do better.

Strange conclusion. Learn to read.

You are expecting to much, me thinks.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nelyubin

***No, it's not true, and since neither one of your links even addressed your claim, you'll have to do better.

Strange conclusion. Learn to read.

None of the volcanic eruptions in the Wiki link (Pinatubo, Krakatoa, ect) could be considered either "small" or for only a "couple of days."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Emission of gases one small volcano for a couple of days cause large climatic changes than the activity of the humanity for decades.

This was your claim. That is not backed up at all by your links. They do not address the relative effects of human vs volcanic activity, and the only eruptions that had a measurable effect on climate were the largest, most devastating eruptions in Earth's history.

Learn to read, indeed.

- Dan G

DanG

Emission of gases one small volcano for a couple of days cause large climatic changes than the activity of the humanity for decades.

This was your claim. That is not backed up at all by your links. They do not address the relative effects of human vs volcanic activity, and the only eruptions that had a measurable effect on climate were the largest, most devastating eruptions in Earth's history.

Learn to read, indeed.

;)
Reference is made to the facts confirming the significant effect of eruptions on climate.
There is currently no evidence to support the impact of human activities on climate.
An analogy difficult?

...hasn't produced any viable theories and predictions...

Not true. The model stated that as energy trapped in the form of heat was added to the system, then greater swings in the system would be observed. Record temps, both high and low. Record high low temps, record storms in both size and depth of season ( think superstorm Sandy. Never been a Cat 2 storm at that latitude, that late inthe season.), record size storms ( think typhoon Hyuan [sp]), and record El Nino/La Nina events. Also, the model predicts sea level rise to account for ice melt and general heating. This are currently being observed.

And since all the predictions have fallen flat on their asses

Which ones?

The facts are that the global climate has, and is changing. You can listen to Fox Noise and deny that all you want, but you'll eventually have to deal with it.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

And since all the predictions have fallen flat on their asses

Which ones?

The facts are that the global climate has, and is changing. You can listen to Fox Noise and deny that all you want, but you'll eventually have to deal with it.

All of them . . . evidently.:|

But - meh - the Earth is so big, we may affect a small bit, but about as much as pissing in Lake Erie, and expecting it to affect the water quality in Detroit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

"Not true. The model stated that as energy trapped in the form of heat was added to the system, then greater swings in the system would be observed. Record temps, both high and low. Record high low temps, record storms in both size and depth of season ( think superstorm Sandy. Never been a Cat 2 storm at that latitude, that late inthe season.), record size storms ( think typhoon Hyuan [sp]), and record El Nino/La Nina events. Also, the model predicts sea level rise to account for ice melt and general heating. This are currently being observed."

Let us not forget the record high Antarctic ice, the record low hurricane, tornado, and wildfire rates. The US is being hammered by a global warming induced cold snap. Those poor climate scientists were trapped in fifteen feet of global warming induced ice. Man-made global warming is even responsible for a record rebound in arctic ice.

brenthutch

"Not true. The model stated that as energy trapped in the form of heat was added to the system, then greater swings in the system would be observed. Record temps, both high and low. Record high low temps, record storms in both size and depth of season ( think superstorm Sandy. Never been a Cat 2 storm at that latitude, that late inthe season.), record size storms ( think typhoon Hyuan [sp]), and record El Nino/La Nina events. Also, the model predicts sea level rise to account for ice melt and general heating. This are currently being observed."

Let us not forget the record high Antarctic ice, the record low hurricane, tornado, and wildfire rates. The US is being hammered by a global warming induced cold snap. Those poor climate scientists were trapped in fifteen feet of global warming induced ice. Man-made global warming is even responsible for a record rebound in arctic ice.

Do you hear yourself?

Record highs AND lows, Record rebound, record this, record that.

No Consistency.

brenthutch

The arctic and antarctic are fundamentally different in how they lose or gain ice over the course of the year. Not to put too fine a point on it, but there is an arctic ocean and an antarctic continent. Additionally, ocean currents around the arctic are blocked by continents, whereas ocean currents freely circulate and completely surround antarctica.

It also appears as if you're attempting to paint the two as a zero sum (losses in one are made up by gains in the other), when in fact the two have almost nothing whatsoever to do with one another.

The fact is, even with antarctic gains in sea ice extent, the planet as a whole is losing ice.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Either someone really messed up naming it; or the weather gods are one riotous group.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.