jclalor

Standing your ground in Georgia

Iago

Agreed. Even if charges are not filed he'll have to live with this the rest of his life.

And so he should .. taking some else's life should NOT ever be easy.

If you feel 'threatened' by an old man walking towards you .. then WALK AWAY ..... For fucks sake what are you people on?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

WTF???
Why does *every* civilian shooting bring out the people who want to talk about SYG laws?
This is a clear case of where the pre-existing "castle doctrine" law takes effect.
For Georgia: http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=3§ion=23

In the states with castle doctrine, (nearly all of them), SYG only applies in *public* places.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Sigh. This is what will continue to happen with stand your ground laws. One gentleman's life is over. Another decent guy is saddled with a lifetime of guilt. And maybe prison time.

OK, right-wingers, mount a spirited defense of this guy like you did for Zimmerman. And tell us how SYG laws benefit all of us. :(

AndyBoyd

Sigh. This is what will continue to happen with stand your ground laws. One gentleman's life is over. Another decent guy is saddled with a lifetime of guilt. And maybe prison time.

OK, right-wingers, mount a spirited defense of this guy like you did for Zimmerman. And tell us how SYG laws benefit all of us. :(

Um. This wasn't SYG.

Y'all will get it eventually.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Sigh. This is what will continue to happen with stand your ground laws. One gentleman's life is over. Another decent guy is saddled with a lifetime of guilt. And maybe prison time.

Um. This wasn't SYG.

Are you addressing Sheriff Wilson, or the reporter who wrote the article?

Andy9o8

******Sigh. This is what will continue to happen with stand your ground laws. One gentleman's life is over. Another decent guy is saddled with a lifetime of guilt. And maybe prison time.

Um. This wasn't SYG.

Are you addressing Sheriff Wilson, or the reporter who wrote the article?

I would say both. The reporter needs to do more research, and the sheriff sounds incompetent if he doesn't understand the laws he is enforcing.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I would say both. The reporter needs to do more research, and the sheriff sounds incompetent if he doesn't understand the laws he is enforcing.

Really? You don't think both the reporter and the Sheriff don't know the difference between "Castle Doctrine" and SYG?

Or maybe they want to paint SYG in a bad light and are calling this tragedy SYG to do just that.

It wound't be the first time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

In the states with castle doctrine, (nearly all of them), SYG only applies in *public* places.

I think we are starting to confuse several different issues here.

As I udnerstand it, Georgia's "castle doctrine" indicates that in defending yourself or others, relating to the defense of habitation, has no duty to retreat and has a right to stand his ground and use force.

Hence, the Georgia "castle doctrine" allows one to stand their ground.

Another option is, that since the page you linked to speaks a lot about entry or attempted entry into residence, one could argue tha the "castle doctrine" would not apply in this case and therefor SYG might take over.

(we also don't know where the actual shooting took place, may have been off the actual property)

Something the story does not say is, was the older man being threatening? Was he being loud and scary? Did the younger man feel he was in imminent danger? The younger man is the only one who is able to tell the story. The older man isn't talking. Like so many news stories about shootings, we don't get the whole story. I do get the impression the younger man may have just been a little too quick on the draw. To me, this is too open ended.

Chuck

AndyBoyd

Well, SYG laws might stop some poor grandmother in NYC from getting a broken jaw and getting her brains knocked loose. Oops, I forgot: only the bad guys have guns in NYC and they only attack when they can blindside their victims.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

This one isn't that complicated. The homeowner didn't need to go out of his house. In fact, it was stupid to go out and confront the guy ringing his doorbell. Mister "I felt threatened" apparently never heard of an ambush. In this case, all the arguments about castle doctrine and stand your ground are superseded by pure stupidity.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514803/Man-Alzheimers-shot-homeowner-ringing-doorbell.html

A few things in this article I haven't seen elsewhere:

- The incident happened at 4am, so it all transpired in darkness.

- The elderly guy not only rang the doorbell, but also was trying to open the door.

- The elderly guy is mute.

Georgia Gun Owners, Inc.
There are pushes in dozens of states across the country for new "mental health mandates" that could disarm millions of gun owners nationwide. Georgia gun owners should be on guard and prepared to fight back if Republicans in the General Assembly in Atlanta decide to push "mental health" legislation in 2014. Bad stuff
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Georgia Gun Owners, Inc.
There are pushes in dozens of states across the country for new "mental health mandates" that could disarm millions of gun owners nationwide. Georgia gun owners should be on guard and prepared to fight back if Republicans in the General Assembly in Atlanta decide to push "mental health" legislation in 2014. Bad stuff

We definitely don't want to deprive people like Holmes, Cho, Loughner, Kazmierczak and Lanza of their guns. No Siree.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Too much opinion. Not enough fact.

The way it was written, I'm not sure there was a reasonable expectation of severe physical injury that would justify lethal force. The article states that all Georgia requires is a much lesser standard for use of deadly force. I haven't researched that, but would be very surprised if the law was correctly stated.

The way the article was written, I am not convinced the Sheriff declared this SYG or that there was a good shooting. Too much is left out. Arguing a conclusion without key facts is folly.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Arguing a conclusion without key facts is folly.

You're new around here, aren't you? :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kelpdiver

We definitely don't want to deprive people like Holmes, Cho, Loughner, Kazmierczak and Lanza of their guns. No Siree.

yes sir, prior restraint is a wonderful tool for maintaining society.

It certainly would have helped the victims of Holmes, Cho, Loughner, Kazmierczak and Lanza . I realize that you think the victims are just acceptable collateral damage.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Georgia Gun Owners, Inc.

It is difficult to predict the behavior of people with mental illness. The only reasonable protection is for responsible folks to be armed and trained.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.