jclalor

Sen. Cruz releases birth info amid talk of 2016 run

quade

McCain was pretty close to the edge, but this? I can't see how anyone who fought on the birther side can possibly allow Cruz to even consider running.

Actually, this might help illuminate a point that the whole Obama birther thing passed over entirely - if he had been born in Kenya would it actually have mattered?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Iago

So what if BHO was born in Kenya? His mother was an American that mkes him an American by birth.

That was my take. Which just made the whole song and dance funnier. Even if we'd fallen into some parallel universe where the birthers were right the Obama camp could just have met them with "Ok. So what?"
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Iago

So what if BHO was born in Kenya? His mother was an American that mkes him an American by birth.

Simply being an American does not qualify one to be President, you must be a "natural born American", that is born on American soil. No one ever claimed that Obama was not an American, that was the whole birther argument, he may have been an American, but he was not a natural born American.

Cruz was born in Canada, to an American mother and a Cuban father, who had permanent Canadian residency. Canada bestows it's citizenship on the children of those who have permanent Canadian residency, thus meaning Cruz has dual citizenship.

jclalor

***So what if BHO was born in Kenya? His mother was an American that mkes him an American by birth.

Simply being an American does not qualify one to be President, you must be a "natural born American", that is born on American soil. No one ever claimed that Obama was not an American, that was the whole birther argument, he may have been an American, but he was not a natural born American.

citing Wiki: "The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen."

IOW, it doesn't matter if he was born in Kenya or not.

The GOP learned to stop harping about draft dodgers as soon as they ran out of WWII veterans and got to Dubya, and even evolved to mocking the service of actual veterans Gore and Kerry. If Cruz gets any traction (and Trump still doesn't), then they'll drop it for good, or weasel with some clarification law.

kelpdiver

******So what if BHO was born in Kenya? His mother was an American that mkes him an American by birth.

citing Wiki: "The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen."

IOW, it doesn't matter if he was born in Kenya or not.

The GOP learned to stop harping about draft dodgers as soon as they ran out of WWII veterans and got to Dubya, and even evolved to mocking the service of actual veterans Gore and Kerry. If Cruz gets any traction (and Trump still doesn't), then they'll drop it for good, or weasel with some clarification law.

Pretty hilarious. I can honestly say I never bothered to research the requirements to be considered a citizen at birth. But of course I never buy into right wing conspiracy theories either, so I never wasted much time on the whole 'birther' thing.

I can remember some pretty energetic posts about it though from the resident righties here.

Cracks me up that it wouldn't even matter if the dude was born in Kenya or not.

Hahah. Well his middle name is still HUSSEIN!

masterrig

"Cruz is a favorite of many of the same conservative groups who raised "birther" concerns about Obama, however, and questions about his eligibility to become president because he was born in Canada have not caused as much of a stir — at least not yet."

Hahaha no shit.

They are all sitting around going 'oh fuck, we did it again, talked a bunch of shit and it came back to bite us. Damnit.'

Bignugget

"Cruz is a favorite of many of the same conservative groups who raised "birther" concerns about Obama, however, and questions about his eligibility to become president because he was born in Canada have not caused as much of a stir — at least not yet."

Hahaha no shit.

They are all sitting around going 'oh fuck, we did it again, talked a bunch of shit and it came back to bite us. Damnit.'

Hell, both sides look for the slightest thing so as to get the 'edge' on opponents. They're politicians. that's what they do.

Chuck

maxmadmax

So what if we have a Kenyan president?

It's time for a Canadian!

We almost had a Panamanian in the last election.:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

McCain was pretty close to the edge

McCain was a terrible choice, but no where near the edge. He was born on a military post.

I can't see how anyone who fought on the birther side can possibly allow Cruz to even consider running.

I can't wait to see those that told the birthers to shut up about it suddenly care about the issue now that it is Cruz and not Obama.

For the record, most of you on here try to claim I am a birther. Because I did support asking to see Obama's BC (as anyone running for President should be required to provide, IMO). But once that was provided it was a done deal.

jakee

the Obama camp could just have met them with "Ok. So what?"

They do that ALOT.

Fast and Furious (buried) So what?
Benghazi (Hillary) What difference does it make?
Egypt (Yes it was a military coup) Too bad - We'll just do as we want, So what
Ft. Hood (Yes it was a terror attack) But that looks bad - so So what, its"Workplace Violence"

the list goes on and on . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DaVinci

McCain was pretty close to the edge

McCain was a terrible choice, but no where near the edge. He was born on a military post.

***I can't see how anyone who fought on the birther side can possibly allow Cruz to even consider running.

I can't wait to see those that told the birthers to shut up about it suddenly care about the issue now that it is Cruz and not Obama.

For the record, most of you on here try to claim I am a birther. Because I did support asking to see Obama's BC (as anyone running for President should be required to provide, IMO). But once that was provided it was a done deal.

Tell Donald Trump that!

Chuck