Iago

Iris scannig is on its way- say goodbye to anonymity?

I honestly don't see the difference between this and the crazy amount of ID cards and passes we need these days. Except that this will be harder to forge/fake. I am not saying I am for it, just that I don't think it will be very different, other than making identity theft a little more difficult.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Well, it would make it hard to argue "I forgot my ID at home, officer".

Don

Iago

***I know this is going to sound obvious one you hear it, but if you wanted to avoid being randomly tracked by iris scans. . . contact lenses.

I thought about that a few years back when I saw the story about the walk-through scanners that really required you to do nothing. Could end up being a good market for 'scrambler' lenses down the road.

Trouble is contact lenses are FDA restricted and require a prescription (you used to be able to buy those 'crazy contacts' OTC).
Really? Even cosmetic or effect contacts?
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

******I know this is going to sound obvious one you hear it, but if you wanted to avoid being randomly tracked by iris scans. . . contact lenses.

I thought about that a few years back when I saw the story about the walk-through scanners that really required you to do nothing. Could end up being a good market for 'scrambler' lenses down the road.

Trouble is contact lenses are FDA restricted and require a prescription (you used to be able to buy those 'crazy contacts' OTC).
Really? Even cosmetic or effect contacts?

You can still buy those unrestricted.
Remster

>I honestly don't see the difference between this and the crazy amount of ID cards and passes we need these days.

One difference is that a camera 20 feet away from you can positively ID you. You don't need to swipe a card. Current level of technology requires you to hold still for about 2 seconds but that's improving.

>When that improves will someone be able to load your 'iris' into a system and see
>where you've been around town for the past week?

Yes, and those are the systems that are demoing now. Keep in mind, though, that this is not significantly different from facial recognition systems, just somewhat more accurate. If anything future crowd-ID systems will use iris recognition as a backup to basic facial recognition (which is currently much faster.)

Somebody needs to start designing glasses and other "face jewelry" that can defeat mass facial recognition tracking. Yes, we could all wear Guy Fawkes masks, but that's a bit too obvious. What it needs to be able to do is simultaneously preserve and disturb a person's looks. Hmmm. How would that work?

This isn't really the answer, but it's at least some people are thinking about it.
http://gizmodo.com/reclaim-your-privacy-with-glowing-glasses-that-foil-fac-514256615

A bit too obvious.
http://cvdazzle.com

I'm waiting for legislation to pass that says people can't cover their faces in public.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Both of those concern me quite a bit. If I go to a public place, or a park, or an event
>(like the Boston Marathon) I shouldn't have my face or iris scanned and logged as
>being present at X location at Y time.

I understand the concern, and in general all these methods are spoofable. But they will still be fairly pervasive since most people simply won't care.

I should point out that what will drive early adoption of this sort of technology are not government entities but rather commercial entities; the value to a store in being able to identify frequent shoppers is large. (hence the huge number of loyalty cards and the significant incentives to use them.) Being able to identify them more accurately (say down to the aisle, or upon entry) is even larger.

>Hey, that guy that loves Red Baron pizza and Hamms beer just walked in. Lets let him
>know we've got 12 packs on sale right away!

Right. And with time not only will that become accepted it will become somewhat expected - because for most people it will be convenient. "Why is this thing only showing me prices for tampons? Doesn't it know me by now? I've been coming here for 10 years!"

DanG

I'm waiting for legislation to pass that says people can't cover their faces in public.

Just move to France, already done.

Actually, Alabama has a law that addresses this. It was to thwart KKK activities, but is still on the books and rather general.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

quade

Good Bye Burka!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Good Bye Burka!

if they can't track your movements, they can't tell how far and how fast you are traveling. If they can't do that they can't tell how much you are destroying the planet. If they can't do that they can't tax you for the energy you use to travel. If the can't tax you, the children will die.

won't someone please think of the children?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

turtlespeed

Good Bye Burka!

That and a KKK hood are pretty obvious in their intent to conceal. Both for wildly different reasons, but obvious none the less.

What I'm talking about would be otherwise completely "ordinary" face coverings like large sunglasses.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

DanG

Just move to France, already done.

This is sort of true,....:S In France I mean....

Goin into a bank is already a crime with something over your face in some states!!!!

In most states now, if you are wearing sunglasses during the commission of the crime, they add on additional charges!

I predict more missing eyeballs!!!

C

They have already passed draconian laws in the name of child support...

Where are they going to stop when the war cry is: We are doing this for the public good?

I'm going to just go and put more foil on my head, thank you .....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

fanya

One day wearing large aviator sunglasses indoors will be common place and not for the reasons of being a douche bag.

Mirror sunglasses, indoors no less, ...

"People with nothing to hide ,...Don't ask for lawyers"
"We just have a few questions,....if your innocent, then you have nothing to worry about."

Changing world folks....

It was Bill Clinton who said: "In the upcoming Americka, ...Only criminals and drug dealers will use cash...."

50 % of those camera things in your local Whalmart are empty! It's just that you don't know which ones have cameras in tham and which ones don't. So from their perspective the camera things are a deterrent. Who does this affect???

A couple of months ago, well a year or two ago, on the Penn turnpike (Not shure if in Penn of this was Ohio) anyways:

At the tool booth,....
"Sir please pull over to the side," "Why, what did I do?"

"We monitor, or actually the computer, calculates your average speed from the time you picked up your toll ticket till now, in your case the average speed indicates you traveled in excess of the posted limits." " A trooper will be along shortly..."

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Hi Chris,

A couple of months ago, well a year or two ago, on the Penn turnpike (Not shure if in Penn of this was Ohio) anyways:

At the tool booth,....
"Sir please pull over to the side," "Why, what did I do?"

"We monitor, or actually the computer, calculates your average speed from the time you picked up your toll ticket till now, in your case the average speed indicates you traveled in excess of the posted limits." " A trooper will be along shortly..."

Nothing new; they've been doing that in Pennsylvania since the 70's.

Where've you been? :P

JerryBaumchen

>"We monitor, or actually the computer, calculates your average speed from the
>you picked up your toll ticket till now, in your case the average speed indicates you
>traveled in excess of the posted limits."

The super advanced technology you need to do that is . . . a clock and a telephone.