StreetScooby

Why Not Soak the Rich?

He's out giving his money away.. money he got from us, free to other people. Maybe he should work to prevent USA obesity problem as many sit at computers getting fat...... he's the one partly responsible for that problem xbox etc, that he might help to alleviate our problem.

I'm thinking that the biggest market Gates has right now is China and India - and they are growing......

As for his charitable donations, it's his money. None of your business.

If you want to complain about keeping money priorities to domestic benefits, you might consider complaining about policies from the exec and legislative branches of the government.

I've done that too, and I've also stopped buying MS products.

Well that's up to you, but it's yet another example of your mis-directed anger. Gates donates zillions of charitable piasters that are spent in the US.

Bill, Linda, and Warren only need give away 5% of the total to maintain org as charatable organization. Most of the money goes overseas.

How many computers did you buy at $7,000 each that you ended up having to throw away a few years later. And with all the MS online updates, how do you like it when your computer gets buggy and you have to go an buy another one! So go help them with reinventing the toilet for poor nations as if the Feds don't already do that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

>How many computers did you buy at $7,000 each that you ended up having to throw
>away a few years later.

Zero. You actually buy $7000 computers? Why? And why would you throw them away a few years later? And what does that have to do with Microsoft? They don't make PC's - and PC's can run more than one OS if you don't like Microsoft.

I still don't know how to rectify the fact that there are huge economic opportunities to be had, but a lot fewer of the slots. IE, Google and Apple employ far fewer workers than a similar size company would have in the past. This air of hand waving in the face of permanently losing a whole class of blue collar jobs is pretty striking. Our society has not transitioned into a creator economy and there are millions that are waiting for the non-thinking jobs to come back.

In 10 years we'll lose a whole other class of blue collar jobs and probably start in on the white collar jobs. Those people can't all be drug dealers or prostitutes.

I still don't know how to rectify the fact that there are huge economic opportunities to be had, but a lot fewer of the slots. IE, Google and Apple employ far fewer workers than a similar size company would have in the past. This air of hand waving in the face of permanently losing a whole class of blue collar jobs is pretty striking. Our society has not transitioned into a creator economy and there are millions that are waiting for the non-thinking jobs to come back.

In 10 years we'll lose a whole other class of blue collar jobs and probably start in on the white collar jobs. Those people can't all be drug dealers or prostitutes.

the loss of blue color manufacturing jobs hurts alot

I dont blame the companies for moving out of the US

Between labor regulation, EPA regulations, insurnace mandates the cost of doing business has made it harder to compete globally

And no, I do not want sweat shops, dirty air or dirty water
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Strawman

No, sarcasm. You need a dictionary.

You need comprehension classes
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Well, maybe they can take in each others' laundry.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

yes they are subjective, and they are still valid, given that the human race does not rely on purely objective logic for its own survival.

that's true - relying on subjective opinions about others and no other criteria has gone a long way in history to attempts to wipe out the human race

you win - your feelings are more important that facts and reality

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the loss of blue color manufacturing jobs hurts alot

I dont blame the companies for moving out of the US

Between labor regulation, EPA regulations, insurnace mandates the cost of doing business has made it harder to compete globally

And no, I do not want sweat shops, dirty air or dirty water

It isn't just regs...

http://www.kivasystems.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

Not to mention Dropbox, Automated Call Routing, Gmail, and similar systems eliminate the need for IT in most businesses...

Spend a small monthly fee and eliminate a $50K office worker

>How many computers did you buy at $7,000 each that you ended up having to throw
>away a few years later.

Zero. You actually buy $7000 computers? Why? And why would you throw them away a few years later? And what does that have to do with Microsoft? They don't make PC's - and PC's can run more than one OS if you don't like Microsoft.

you can buy some pretty bitchen computers for 7000. From the 80s till 2000 or so, 3000 was the price of a pretty good pc. (now it's under 2) The measure of pretty good kept moving, but the price was fairly consistent. 7k either is heaps of striped SSDs or dual octo core Xeons and 128gb of memory, or a 4k screen.

yes they are subjective, and they are still valid, given that the human race does not rely on purely objective logic for its own survival.

And no, I made not suggestion as to what the metric should be, but I maintain that the evidence is NOT there that many CEO's and executives have 'earned' much of anything more than a wage perhaps triple the average worker wage.

so roughly 130k, eh? You must value free time pretty cheaply. (or just can't be objective on the subject) Myself, every hour past 45 is pretty dear to me, I have little interest in working their hours.

Good, experienced CEOs are rarer than professional athletes in the 4 US leagues. The city of San Francisco has hundreds of city workers "earning" more than that.

Good, experienced CEOs are rarer than professional athletes in the 4 US leagues.

Good experienced CEOs that play the ongoing 'game' are a rare breed. I expect there are plenty of good people out there. Again, back to the 'circle-jerk' - you only get in if you are willing to jerk off the guy/gal next to you.....

And plenty of people think that athletes get paid too much too. however, I have more respect for the athlete that busts out 60 hours of training each week and goes in front of millions to demonstrate his/her skills.

And they negotiate their pay, yes, but when they do not produce, they get put out to pasture.

And plenty of people think that athletes get paid too much too. however, I have more respect for the athlete that busts out 60 hours of training each week and goes in front of millions to demonstrate his/her skills.

And they negotiate their pay, yes, but when they do not produce, they get put out to pasture.

uh, baseball contracts are guaranteed. NFL contracts are not to the full value, but a considerable amount of each big signing is. I'm not as familiar with the norms for the NBA or the NHL.

Home Depot sells to millions of people...don't they count? You have very selective vision...I can't figure it out. Did A-Rod deserve that quarter billion dollar contract? How well did it work out for the Rangers?

>away a few years later.

circa l984. MS and PC were pretty much the same. One can't live without the other.

>away a few years later.

you can buy some pretty bitchen computers for 7000. From the 80s till 2000 or so, 3000 was the price of a pretty good pc. (now it's under 2) The measure of pretty good kept moving, but the price was fairly consistent. 7k either is heaps of striped SSDs or dual octo core Xeons and 128gb of memory, or a 4k screen.

Circa l984 computer, software, printer around $7,000. MACS cost more. My first motorola cell phone was $7,000 And my first fax machine was $750 and I owned a typesetting machine that cost $20,000

The problem is you didn't "give" Microsoft your money. You exchanged it for a computer. Their responsibility to provide you with any thing (except express warranty), ended at the conclusion of that transaction. I do agree that I would like to see Bill Gates philanthropy focused here, but we have no right to force that. I know you paid alot for your computer, but YOU chose to spend your money in that way. If you're gonna be sour grapes now, it's youre own damn fault, as they say. :)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

>circa l984. MS and PC were pretty much the same.

Circa 1984, "PC" meant "personal computer" and was as likely to refer to an Apple product as an IBM version; "PC" had not yet come to mean "x86 based machine." In the IBM family your choices were CP/M or MS-DOS.

>One can't live without the other.

Google "CP/M-86." (Or later OS/2, or Linux.)

>Circa l984 computer, software, printer around $7,000. MACS cost more.

PC's ran around $1500; the PC-AT (top of the line at the time) ran around $4000. The 1984 Mac 128K ran around $2500. In 1984 I bought a printer for $500 that did tractor feed _and_ friction feed.

I don't know where you get this stuff (or what it has to do with taxation.)

Yep I agree its not nice to steal from them.

The McDonalds worker will be leaving his kids a lot less money than the Heinz family though.

I guess the McDonalds guy just didn't try hard enough to start a ketchup business and break into the global economy in 2013. So fuck em. Tax him harder than the Heinz's, they worked for their money!

The McDonalds worker has the same oportunity

So you are right, he didnt work hard enough

Yup!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Circa 1984, "PC" meant "personal computer" and was as likely to refer to an Apple product as an IBM version; "PC" had not yet come to mean "x86 based machine." In the IBM family your choices were CP/M or MS-DOS.

??

IBM released the "PC" in 1981. And the clone wars started not too much later. I would equate PC to M-intel, Apple to II/IIIs, Mac to Mac (just released in 1984).

But it certainly didn't cost 7000, unless he was including a crapload of software in the price (autocad?), and a fantastic printer. I did have a $1000 daisywheel printer in that era.

>IBM released the "PC" in 1981.

Agreed. I had a PC in 1980 - a PET, followed by an Apple II. In 1980 the term "PC" meant either a TRS-80, a PET or an Apple II, the only three mass market personal computers out there.

When IBM first released the PC it was referred to as "IBM-PC" and the few computer stores around opened an "IBM" section to distinguish it from the other PC's out at the time. It wasn't for several years that the IBM PC became so ubiquitous that the "IBM" was dropped.

(Although the Mac was never really lumped under the PC label, it was always just "mac.")

> I did have a $1000 daisywheel printer in that era.

A friend of mine had a $600 daisywheel that printed about a page every ten minutes. It sounded like a slow touch typist.

??

IBM released the "PC" in 1981. And the clone wars started not too much later. I would equate PC to M-intel, Apple to II/IIIs, Mac to Mac (just released in 1984).

But it certainly didn't cost 7000, unless he was including a crapload of software in the price (autocad?), and a fantastic printer. I did have a $1000 daisywheel printer in that era.

I bought a 48k Apple II+ in 1980. It was $1,100 for the 16k version and $100 for each additional 16k of memory (k as in KILO). Floppy drives with 143k capacity were $500 each.

Even so, it paid for itself many times over with sales of flight simulation software I wrote for it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.