StreetScooby

Why Not Soak the Rich?

>circa l984. MS and PC were pretty much the same.

Circa 1984, "PC" meant "personal computer" and was as likely to refer to an Apple product as an IBM version; "PC" had not yet come to mean "x86 based machine." In the IBM family your choices were CP/M or MS-DOS.

>One can't live without the other.

Google "CP/M-86." (Or later OS/2, or Linux.)

That was with the printer, key board and mouse and basic software. How much did you pay for you first cell phone? I paid $7,500 for the first release of the Motorola hand held. My first car phone with combo battery pack was $1400. My first aircraft a cessna 150 1977 brand new was $12,700! That same plane now with thousands of hours is probably $25,000!

>Circa l984 computer, software, printer around $7,000. MACS cost more.

PC's ran around $1500; the PC-AT (top of the line at the time) ran around $4000. The 1984 Mac 128K ran around $2500. In 1984 I bought a printer for $500 that did tractor feed _and_ friction feed.

I don't know where you get this stuff (or what it has to do with taxation.)

>How much did you pay for you first cell phone?

$299 for a Sprint NGP phone around 1994.

> I paid $7,500 for the first release of the Motorola hand held.

That's pretty impressive! The first Motorola cellphone, the Dyna-TAC, cost $4000.

>How much did you pay for you first cell phone?

$299 for a Sprint NGP phone around 1994.

> I paid $7,500 for the first release of the Motorola hand held.

That's pretty impressive! The first Motorola cellphone, the Dyna-TAC, cost $4000.

They traded more than that around here as supply was limited....
Great that technology got cheaper.

Piper Arrow 1977 $27,000 New
1974 new Datsun B210 Hatchback NEW $1995

Minimum wage 1969 was 90 cents per hour. Cessna 150 hour rental was $12 per hour wet and instructor was $3 per hour. Wow, to get a private private license back then was $500.

>$1995.00 for new car.

You paid $7500 for a $4000 phone. I figure0d you got a similar "good deal" on the car.

Datsun B210 was $1995 in the 70's. Looks like Nissan wants to bring it back with similar pricing.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=64c9fb6b-7e8a-4d9f-8f90-0df0de17d0a5

How much were parachutes in the 70's.

and the not so rich.

89.5B divided by the bottom 48.8M households is an average of $1834 per household.

Many people could quadruple that net worth in a year by forgoing their $300/month new car lease. Many could double that in 18 months by skipping their $100/month TV plan.

This ignores real big ticket items like housing, where the average new home swelled from under 1000 square feet in 1950, through 1400 square feet in 1970, to a peak of nearly 2,800 square feet in 2008 even though families were shrinking.

With basic cable, a 1998 car, and 1991 double wide home my net worth is a whole lot higher than if I embraced consumerism over saving for retirement and rainy days.

After thinking about it I'm more offended by those people who've chosen to be irresponsible than the Waltons who are doing better because they just happened to have the right parents.