jclalor

Why I've Always Hated Morning DJ's

Sad outcome for sure but, as a former crisis counselor I know there is only one person that can be held responsible for a suicide.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The problem is that this world has more and more shifted to state of apathy towards the emotions and feelings of others. To be cynical, bully others, and create outcasts is pop trend. People watch others be beat to a pulp or get run over by trains, all the while watching with glee through the view finder of their cell phone camera isntead of extending a hand to help, all just to be the first to post this wretched act up on youtube. These "shock jocks" apparently are too stupid to think through the consequences of their action had they been successful. People have no idea what else may be going on someone elses life. This girl may have had the week from hell, and these dicks making her the international butt of their joke was the straw that broke the camels back. By all accounts this lady was an excellent health care provider and a valued member of the hospital staff. Who knows how many lives this woman touched in her occupation and how many lives she changed. A mother of two and quite obviously a very educated young woman. I hope the two losers behind the mic are quite proud of themselves for contributing to ending it, all for a cynical joke. [:/]

Sad outcome for sure but, as a former crisis counselor I know there is only one person that can be held responsible for a suicide.

Your never miss a chance to present yourself. Pathetic.

:|

PAs aside, I tend to agree with him on this. Tacky move by the DJ's, but hardly responsible for a suicide.

Your never miss a chance to present yourself. Pathetic.

PAs aside, I tend to agree with him on this. Tacky move by the DJ's, but hardly responsible for a suicide.

Sure as hell, Ron soon will come along with his "knowledge". :S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Getting laughs from the unsuspecting on the phone is the lowest form of humor

So BillyVance calling me and cussing me out (I think he was cussing me out - tough to understand the slavering incoherence of a deaf fooker) was a pretty good thing. I wish I'd recorded it but he wouldn't answer when I asked him for permission. Apparently the deaf fooker couldn't hear.

Prank calling can be fun, though. And hilarious. The voice of Red Deutsch is permanently ingrained into my mind.

It's just sometimes things get out of control. Sadly, this one did.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Getting laughs from the unsuspecting on the phone is the lowest form of humor.

Even lower than the 3 stooges?

Really, I don't see how anyone might have anticipated that this poor woman would have committed suicide. Must have been something else going on in her life for this to be "the straw that broke the camel's back". Sad.

A more likely consequence is that rules will be put in place that will make it harder for anyone to phone anyone in the hospital. Kind of like a rogue base jumper burning an exit point. I hope that doesn't happen, but it seems a not too uncommon side effect of pranks like this.

Don

There is a real asshole DJ here in Tampa I'd love 5 minutes alone in a room with due to the fact he laughed about an autistic child dying in a fire and actually told someone he hopes their cancer eats the rest of their face off. Some things cross the line and you have to be mentally unstable to even laugh at anything like that.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

In the end I am quite sad for the lady who felt she needed to take her own life over this. Rarely is that an acceptable answer. Can you be mad at the DJs for doing some ridiculous shit? Sure. Can you BLAME them for her suicide? Only if you are misguided as well.

I was having this discussion with several colleagues that are nurses tonight. Every day they field countless numbers of calls regarding patient status that they are not allowed to comment on. They routinely tell people this. Bottom line is that this nurse openly violated patient confidentiality and should have been reprimanded. What if this had been an attempted murder patient, and she gave out their location in the hospital, and they came back to finish the job? (Happens plenty - gunshots are "NO NEWS" by protocol everywhere I have practiced until proven otherwise)

Several years back, several hospital employees were fired in LA for looking at the records of Britney Spears when they were not part of her treatment team. You can track everything in some EMRs (my hospital uses the same system) and they got busted and canned for patient confidentiality violations.

In the end, the nurse failed to do her job, regardless of whether the prank call was wrong or not. She should have been TRIPLY on guard given she was taking care of a member of the royal family. Unfortunately, she could not handle the fallout from screwing the pooch. The responsibility is on her and her alone.

/poor kid
//do not know the specifics of Britain's patient privacy laws
///I mourn the death of personal responsibility everywhere

The problem is that this world has more and more shifted to state of apathy towards the emotions and feelings of others.

not sure what world you live in, but if you think its "shifted toward" as opposed to "has always been this way" its a very sheltered one.

Having listened to drive time radio in Philadelphia in the late 80's when Howard Stern was trying to unseat John Debella, the current prank seems to be as tasteful and restrained as an episode of Morning Edition.

BABA BOOEY! Zookeeper sucks!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Getting laughs from the unsuspecting on the phone is the lowest form of humor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/receptionist-duped-royal-prank-dies-article-1.1215432

I agree, and its not their first time either I don't know how these idiots are still on air, disgraceful.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation. Who do you think makes that decision?

The POTUS?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Who is to decided what is "temporary" ? You?

Every thing in life is temporary. Time and space create change. The object is to learn how to see the end point, accept it and be comfortable with it. There are many counseling or therapy modalities to deal with emotion and achieve that goal.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

An interesting side note to anyone who likes the song "Suicide is painless"

Suicide Is Painless” is a song written by Johnny Mandel (music) and Mike Altman (lyrics), which is best known for having been featured as the theme song for both the movie and TV series M*A*S*H. The actual title is "Song from M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless)". Mike Altman is the son of the original film’s director, Robert Altman, and was 14 years old when he wrote the song’s lyrics. During an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the 1980s, Robert Altman said that his son had earned more than a million US dollars for having co-written the song while he only made US$70,000 for having directed the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Is_Painless

Astounding to think a 14 year old could write such a song.

"Morning DJ's" is a rather broad group of people to hate.

Anyhow, while I don't find their prank funny, I don't think these DJ's can be blamed for the nurse's choice to commit suicide. (Assuming she did commit suicide, which doesn't appear to have been established yet.)

Point of clarification: the one who died is NOT the one who gave the answers, but the one who passed them through to the floor nurse in the first place. The radio hosts never thought they would get someone to talk to them, so they were kind of put on the spot when they actually did get passed through.

FWIW, the woman (DJ) did say she was calling about her granddaughter, not granddaughter-in-law, so it's possible the nurse thought it was actually Kate's grandmother. That would explain why neither she nor the second nurse referred to the caller appropriately (as if they were speaking to HM).

All-in-all, it is a shame the first nurse was in such a state already as to be so distracted to put the call through. However, I agree with Ron -- anyone could have tried to call (such as press), pretending to be anyone, and have been passed through. That it happened to be radio hosts is coincidental.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!