RonD1120

40 Days of Prayer

So, again, I implore you. Educate me so that I may have this profound understanding of God's care that you keep inside of you.

We all suffer and die, so death and suffering is a non-issue. God's caring is that we fulfill the destiny He created us for. Which is to know & love Him thereby enabling us to know & love ourselves and others.

Which (if it were true) has exactly nothing to do with who is the incumbent political party. Glad we got that cleared up.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

So, again, I implore you. Educate me so that I may have this profound understanding of God's care that you keep inside of you.

We all suffer and die, so death and suffering is a non-issue. God's caring is that we fulfill the destiny He created us for. Which is to know & love Him thereby enabling us to know & love ourselves and others.

So, that's why he had terrorists crash planes into buildings...so the people in those towers, falling and being crushed in an unspeakable horror of flames . . . would know his love and the destiny He created for them.

My goodness. That all does make sense now.

I guess he really is a caring god.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, that's why he had terrorists crash planes into buildings...so the people in those towers, falling and being crushed in an unspeakable horror of flames . . . would know his love and the destiny He created for them.

My goodness. That all does make sense now.

I guess he really is a caring god.

Maybe the Jews are right and God is more old Testament than New.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"God bless America" is an order. Repeated daily by all kinds of people.

Not really, it is a contracted prayer.

May God bless America or, God please bless American.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Which (if it were true) has exactly nothing to do with who is the incumbent political party. Glad we got that cleared up.

It remains curious to me why skydivers in other countries express the slightest concern about America's politics.

Be that as it may, the 40 Days of Prayer is not political party specific. We are praying for God's will for our country and thus preparing for it.

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:17.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Prayer Points for day 4 in 40 Days of Prayer:

• Thank God for the gift of wisdom, and for the ability to see things from His perspective as we turn to His Word.
• Repent on behalf of our nation, because we have turned from making Scripture the basis of law, leaving behind wisdom, and looking to ourselves for truth.
• Cry out to the Lord, asking for godly wisdom to be loved and embraced once again by this nation.

It remains curious to me why skydivers in other countries express the slightest concern about America's politics.

Be that as it may, the 40 Days of Prayer is not political party specific. We are praying for God's will for our country and thus preparing for it.

The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:17.

But if He is all powerful, why does He need us to pray for His will? If we do not pray, does His power go away, resulting in His will not being done?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

he has all eternity to make it up to them.

Can I use that logic too? Can I rob a bank, then make it up to everybody during the ensuing eternity. I promise I will, eventually.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Did you check out the link?

And God has yet to heal a single amputee,

Now I get it. You want a god that follows YOUR orders.
Yeah, that's the ticket.;)

"God bless America" is an order. Repeated daily by all kinds of people.

And a movie; very funny one at that. Just saw it a couple nights ago. I have to say it does bother me a bit that I can really identify with a lot of what the main character has to say.

But if He is all powerful, why does He need us to pray for His will? If we do not pray, does His power go away, resulting in His will not being done?

God doesn't need us to pray. We need to pray to God.

Prayer Points for day 4 in 40 Days of Prayer:

• Thank God for the gift of wisdom, and for the ability to see things from His perspective as we turn to His Word.
• Repent on behalf of our nation, because we have turned from making Scripture the basis of law, leaving behind wisdom, and looking to ourselves for truth.
• Cry out to the Lord, asking for godly wisdom to be loved and embraced once again by this nation.

Wow... if I wanted to live in a country based on this, I'd defect to Iran. B|

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

But if He is all powerful, why does He need us to pray for His will? If we do not pray, does His power go away, resulting in His will not being done.

Prayer is an amazing teaching tool for the ones praying and seeking God's Will. It is really quite useless for those trying to create god's will.

But if He is all powerful, why does He need us to pray for His will? If we do not pray, does His power go away, resulting in His will not being done.

Prayer is an amazing teaching tool for the ones praying and seeking God's Will. It is really quite useless for those trying to create god's will.

Amen, well stated.

>Praying helps some people. If it doesn't help you it would be silly to do it.

The same could be said for a quart of Ben and Jerry's, a fortune teller with a tarot deck, or simply a bottle of Jack.

The word "help" here is ambiguous.
quade -

>The same could be said for a quart of Ben and Jerry's

It could indeed. And if you were starving, it might indeed help you in a very big way (as in saving your life.) If you were 40 pounds overweight it might not - and eating enough of it might kill you. Hence, eat it if helps you, don't eat it if it doesn't.

>The same could be said for a quart of Ben and Jerry's

It could indeed. And if you were starving, it might indeed help you in a very big way (as in saving your life.) If you were 40 pounds overweight it might not - and eating enough of it might kill you. Hence, eat it if helps you, don't eat it if it doesn't.

And again you're focusing on one of several meanings of the word "help." That's the issue here, it's ambiguous.

Even if you're a fat man, a pint of B&J's might "help" you quite a bit psychologically. In those terms it's absolutely no different than praying to God, however, physically, it is not helping...which, I guess is also no different than praying to God.

In other words . . . Why is faith in God and prayer to him required when I could get the same (or quite possibly far better) results in other ways?
quade -

>Why is faith in God and prayer to him required when I could get the
>same (or quite possibly far better) results in other ways?

And for the third time - IT'S NOT REQUIRED. It helps some people. It doesn't help others. If you would rather eat ice cream, then go for it. It has a few more drawbacks than prayer, but those tradeoffs are for you to decide.

>You're using your outside voice.

It worked!

>Then let's examine why it's desired if it's no more effectual than a pint of ice cream.

Because it helps people, and it often is more effectual than eating a pint of ice cream. Fewer side effects, for one thing.