Arvoitus

If you're a male and you're voting for Obama

it means you are a gender traitor.

Quotas Limiting Male Science Enrollment: The New Liberal War on Science

Earlier, writing in Newsweek, President Obama celebrated the fact that 25 percent fewer men than women graduate from college, calling it a “great accomplishment” for America. Ironically, he lamented the fact that a smaller gender disparity — 17 percent fewer women attending college than men — had once existed before Title IX was implemented. To Obama, gender disparities are only bad when they disfavor women. Under his strange idea of equality, equality means men losing out to women.

Obama hinted that Title IX quotas would soon come to engineering and techology, saying that “Title IX isn’t just about sports,” but also about “inequality in math and science education” and “a much broader range of fields, including engineering and technology. I’ve said that women will shape the destiny of this country, and I mean it.”

The arts and humanities have well over 60 percent female students, yet no one seems to view that gender disparity as a sign of sexism against men. Deep down, the Obama administration knows this, since it is planning to impose its gender-proportionality rules only on the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math), not other fields that have similarly large gender disparities in the opposite direction.

Only immoral short minded idiots think that there is any sort of equality in forcing gender based quotas on free systems like college enrollment.

The success of the United States was built on high quality engineering and science and clearly Obama is hellbent on destroying that. Any man with a STEM degree who votes for Obama is the worst kind of traitor you can think of.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Well....

While I don't favor quotas of any sort, this article's language is clearly biased. That makes the journalistic objectivity suspect at best.

Quotas of any sort guarantee that some of the best and brightests will be discriminated against due to irrelevant factors.

In this case, I'm not sure what quotas are intended to do. When it comes to vocation, the modern woman in America has more options than men. Argue with that if you want, but I've had to fight discrimination in the workplace all of my life because I was born a white male (no, I'm not whining. It is what it is.). There are plenty of incentives in business and education for females only. And, the more traditional route...stay at home mom or wife...is very unusual for a male.

Your mileage may vary.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

And, the more traditional route...stay at home mom or wife...is very unusual for a male.

I would agree with you there.

I've had to face discrimination as a woman throughout my career.

Maybe the deal is that everyone faces discrimination. When everyone in power is of one type (e.g. white male, female, whatever), then the discrimination is likely to be the one who doesn't look like whoever is doing the hiring (if discrimination is present). So if there's a variety in power, then it'll even out. If there isn't, then it's less likely to happen.

I have a feeling that a bunch of companies that have a variety of management, or good strong processes to ensure that a variety of candidates are given honest consideration, have no reason to have AA applied to them. That's not all of them, but there are a bunch like that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Discriminations for everyone? Sadly, that might be the best we could do.

Personally, I've always looked at military promotions as, "Who is most qualified to take my child into combat, accomplish the mission, and return them to me safely? The purple, androgynous, cthulu worshipper? Hired!"

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Quotas of any sort guarantee that some of the best and brightests will be discriminated against due to irrelevant factors.

+1

While I disagree with the OP, I don't think anyone is out to intentionally destroy America, It's really easy to see what happens when you have a society that hires people for who they are rather than if they are qualified for the job.

Just look at Russia from the 70's to present day....:(
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

At the University where I teach (which is the "flagship" State research university in my State), women constitute over 60% of the undergraduate students in the STEM majors, and a similar proportion of the graduate students. Similar numbers prevail at every public University that I know of. There is no need for quotas to "protect" female students, and zero chance they would be implemented. Male students have created the disparity all by themselves, by making themselves less competitive for admission by taking their high school studies less seriously than their female counterparts do.

Here is what Title IX says: “No person in the United States, shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Only the most misogynistic could find something "unfair" in that. In fact, when you (Arvoitis) state that women's participation in STEM subjects will destroy high quality science and engineering in the US, you paint yourself as a misogynist of the worst stripe. Perhaps you are afraid of having to compete with women? Well suck it up cupcake. It's a competitive world, the best and most motivated will rise to the top, and no-one is interested in protecting the second rate by excluding women, non-whites, or any other groups of people in order to re-create a protected class of white males.

As for Obama's comments on Title IX, his meaning was clear and obvious to all but the most biased: it is a great accomplishment for America that women have equal access to the educational system, instead of being effectively excluded from almost everything except home economics, education, and nursing, as used to be the case. If women now outnumber men in many fields, it's because more women, as individuals, work harder and/or have more aptitude for those fields. To twist that into an anti-male meaning is in no way different than saying that the number of black students earning degrees must reflect a government-imposed anti-white bias, because in many Universities 100% of the graduates used to be white (as everybody else was excluded) and now it's significantly less than 100% (because non-whites can't be excluded). Do you (Arvoitis) think it's a bad thing that whites have gone from 100% of the graduating class to something lower than that?

Don

One factor in many hirings or promotions is how well someone fits into the team, and can work with other members. Being like the other members can help with this. Paying attention to that particular item can lead to discrimination.

Dissimilar teams generally produce better results in the long run, but with more discord. They don't feel better, because there isn't that comfortable feeling of everyone being on the same page.

But if everyone automaticallyl goes to that page, it's not always the best one -- it's just the one that similar people gravitate towards.

There isn't a single right answer. I do know that where I used to work, my department had more minorities than the whole rest of the second line. And the other second line was consistent with that. It wasn't that those people were prejudiced (I knew most of them well); they just could see the problems with dissimilar candidates more easily than with similar ones. I can too -- it's something you have to actively fight, because we're tribal by nature.

But the end result is that until power is shared, human nature means it's unlikely to be spread around.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Title IX says: “No person in the United States, shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Only the most misogynistic could find something "unfair" in that.

I don't think the OP said something was "unfair" about that.

when you (Arvoitis) state that women's participation in STEM subjects will destroy high quality science and engineering in the US

I don't think the OP said that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Title IX says: “No person in the United States, shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Only the most misogynistic could find something "unfair" in that.

The article the OP links, and which he obviously agrees with (as per his rant about "gender traitor"), associates Title IX with the fact that women graduates now outnumber men in many STEM disciplines. Since the OP directly associates the increased proportion of women graduates to the destruction of quality science and engineering programs, it is obvious that he disagrees with granting women access to these degrees, and so he must disagree with Title IX.

when you (Arvoitis) state that women's participation in STEM subjects will destroy high quality science and engineering in the US

The OP links, and quotes from, an article that claims that Obama is going to impose quotas to mandate more places for women in STEM disciplines. He then says (direct quote): "The success of the United States was built on high quality engineering and science and clearly Obama is hellbent on destroying that." I see no way to interpret that other than as a statement that including more women in science and engineering will destroy the quality of those fields in the US.

Don

The article the OP links, and which he obviously agrees with (as per his rant about "gender traitor"), associates Title IX with the fact that women graduates now outnumber men in many STEM disciplines. Since the OP directly associates the increased proportion of women graduates to the destruction of quality science and engineering programs, it is obvious that he disagrees with granting women access to these degrees, and so he must disagree with Title IX.

It is not at all obvious. You've done a lot of extrapolation from a basic premise that is not what you are portraying. Title IX requires no discrimination, but to push for more women in an area already over-represented and with no basis for a claim of discrimination is not what Title IX requires.

The OP links, and quotes from, an article that claims that Obama is going to impose quotas to mandate more places for women in STEM disciplines. He then says (direct quote): "The success of the United States was built on high quality engineering and science and clearly Obama is hellbent on destroying that." I see no way to interpret that other than as a statement that including more women in science and engineering will destroy the quality of those fields in the US.

Don

I think you see no other way to interpret it because you are angry at the OP - for doing something that he didn't really do.

Another way to interpret it is that if the best qualified are kept out in favor of others, then the overall result/benefit to society from advancements will suffer. Using the term "destroy the quality" and "gender traitor" is a bit of hyperbole.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

the other interpretation is that quotas of any kind that artificially preference once gender (or race, or any cosmetic item other than talent) over another may discourage talent from those groups getting discriminated "against" (the group NOT preferred) and that's a loss to all

but you can read it in the way you like. fake outrage makes a lot of people feel good and it's a lot easier to just take up a strawman position rather than try to understand the point being made

(I'm not a big fan of the OPs presentation that the boys club should band together, to fight it, etc type of feel ('gender traitor' is such a crappy term regardless of who uses it, but Arvoitus is not really the most elegant in communications historically). But I'm also just as outraged when women (or any group) does that. I find it completely counterproductive to ANY discussion on hiring equality. I think everybody should join together to fight unfair preferencing of ALL kinds. It helps no one)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the other interpretation is that quotas of any kind that artificially preference once gender (or race, or any cosmetic item other than talent) over another may discourage talent from those groups getting discriminated "against" (the group NOT preferred) and that's a loss to all

(I'm not a big fan of the OPs presentation that the boys club should band together, to fight it, etc type of feel ('gender traitor' is such a crappy term regardless of who uses it, but Arvoitus is not really the most elegant in communications historically). But I'm also just as outraged when women (or any group) does that. I find it completely counterproductive to ANY discussion on hiring equality. I think everybody should join together to fight unfair preferencing of ALL kinds. It helps no one)

I agree with everything you have said here.

Currently more women than men gain admission to STEM degree programs because they earn better grades/take tougher courses in high school, compared to the average male applicant. That's as it should be. These disciplines are not endangered because the proportion of male graduates is less than 50%. They would be threatened if considerations other than individual academic qualifications were to override admissions decisions.

but you can read it in the way you like. fake outrage makes a lot of people feel good and it's a lot easier to just take up a strawman position rather than try to understand the point being made

Well, first the statement by Obama that women's participation in STEM programs has increased to the point where female graduates outnumber males is somehow twisted into "Obama hates men". Then somehow this morphs into "Obama will impose quotas to further exclude men". And finally, this will destroy the quality of science and engineering in the US. I think I am just taking the OP and the article he linked at face value. But if I have misunderstood the point being made the OP is free to chime in and clarify his position, if he so wishes.

My position is that Title IX required any educational institution that receives federal funds (such as research grants) to remove quotas and other barriers to participation by women; as a result, women are now participating and successfully competing against men; and that's a good thing overall.

Don

At the University where I teach (which is the "flagship" State research university in my State), women constitute over 60% of the undergraduate students in the STEM majors, and a similar proportion of the graduate students. Similar numbers prevail at every public University that I know of.

I'm not so sure that those numbers are representative of STEM programs nationwide. Of all the schools I've attended (two in Florida, one in Missouri), males have vastly outnumbered females in all (Calc or higher) math and science classes I've taken, except Biology. (My observations are biased towards math classes.) At my current school, I would estimate the math department male:female ratio is at least 2:1 for undergrads, and higher for graduate students. As undergrads, the females seem more likely to study Math Education, so fewer female students continue on to graduate level mathematics classes.

Here's another school with primarily engineering students with a similarly high male:female ratio. "Missouri University of Science & Technology has a total undergraduate enrollment of 5,504, with a gender distribution of 77.2 percent male students and 22.8 percent female students."
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

He's a social engineer - like every politician out there. He just so happens (IMO) to be the least objectionable social engineer in the game right now. That's just my take since the flavor of his engineering is more likely to challenge corruption and abuse than encourage it.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Look, if you're going to be cogent, reasonable and courteous in your discussions, then you'll have to leave the forums.

There's just no place for that nonsense here.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

At the University where I teach (which is the "flagship" State research university in my State), women constitute over 60% of the undergraduate students in the STEM majors, and a similar proportion of the graduate students. Similar numbers prevail at every public University that I know of.

I'm not so sure that those numbers are representative of STEM programs nationwide. Of all the schools I've attended (two in Florida, one in Missouri), males have vastly outnumbered females in all (Calc or higher) math and science classes I've taken, except Biology. (My observations are biased towards math classes.) At my current school, I would estimate the math department male:female ratio is at least 2:1 for undergrads, and higher for graduate students. As undergrads, the females seem more likely to study Math Education, so fewer female students continue on to graduate level mathematics classes.

I don't believe Don's summary either*. I read the opening post as a rant that Obama was going to apply Title IX like policies to STEM degrees in some sort of quota system that would require universities to have equal representation in students and in graduation rates. Like with sports, this would make the false assumption that equal interest exists.

I don't believe this fear is real, but it would be problematic. You can't make girls want to do these degrees at the same level of interest without fixing some serious societal flaws. I'm all for selling it, but not for the other half where you discourage or filter out the boys.

A detailed UC Berkeley analysis by the Office of Academic Affairs and the Division of Equity & Inclusion of the fields of study of degree recipients by race, ethnicity, and gender demonstrates that there are disparities in undergraduate choice of major by these demographic factors. Women, African American, Hispanic, and Native American undergraduate students are generally more likely to complete degrees in the social sciences and professional fields than in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) disciplines. For example, from fall 2002 to spring 2007, there were no African American women among the 561 UC Berkeley bachelor’s degree recipients with a major in computer science, the 389 degree recipients with a major in mathematics, or the 381 degree recipients with a major in physics (UC Berkeley degree files, undergraduate degree recipients, fall 2002–spring 2007).

I'm more familiar with the biology and chemistry programs, as that is where I'm involved in undergraduate and graduate teaching, and in those disciplines there are a preponderance of women students. I don't doubt that different ratios might apply in math or engineering or physics. The point is, students are free to apply to whatever majors they want, and they can't be excluded based solely on their gender. I don't know why some fields tend to attract more women, and others attract more men, but I'm sure that people tend to do better if they can enroll in majors they have an interest in. For that reason, any attempt to put quotas on participation based on gender would be destructive, on several levels. The disparities that do exist are based on people's choices, not on some imaginary "ideal" balance. There may be a perception by some that particular fields are hostile to this or that gender, and people may choose to avoid those fields for that reason. For example, anyone reading/listening to Shah's posts would perceive hostility to women as engineers. But those sorts of barriers are coming down too as women move into, and succeed at, those disciplines.

Incidentally, the program in veterinary medicine (DVM) has admitted over 90% female students for many years now, and there is no "quota". It's simply that more women than men apply, and on average the female students are better qualified. This is a graduate/professional degree, so the students have already earned an undergraduate degree, and women seem to gravitate to, and be more competitive for the program. I believe most medical schools also have over 50% female students. If the men are "losing ground" in these traditionally male-dominated fields, it isn't because of Title IX, it's because they are being out-competed.

Don

Look, if you're going to be cogent, reasonable and courteous in your discussions, then you'll have to leave the forums.

There's just no place for that nonsense here.

Sorry!

Don

One factor in many hirings or promotions is how well someone fits into the team, and can work with other members. Being like the other members can help with this. Paying attention to that particular item can lead to discrimination.

Dissimilar teams generally produce better results in the long run, but with more discord. They don't feel better, because there isn't that comfortable feeling of everyone being on the same page.

But if everyone automaticallyl goes to that page, it's not always the best one -- it's just the one that similar people gravitate towards.

There isn't a single right answer. I do know that where I used to work, my department had more minorities than the whole rest of the second line. And the other second line was consistent with that. It wasn't that those people were prejudiced (I knew most of them well); they just could see the problems with dissimilar candidates more easily than with similar ones. I can too -- it's something you have to actively fight, because we're tribal by nature.

But the end result is that until power is shared, human nature means it's unlikely to be spread around.

Wendy P.

I don't know if there are any studies to show disparate groups do better work, but I agree.

I was talking to another caucasian conservative male about going into law practice together once. During the converstation, we both agreed that we needed to find a female minority with a liberal slant to be a partner with us. LTG Patton is attributed with saying, 'If we're all thinking alike, we're not all thinking'.

You can't make girls want to do these degrees at the same level of interest without fixing some serious societal flaws.

I wonder what 'flaws' you think exist.

And whatever you 'fix', even then, 'making' someone do something they don't want to do is still wrong.

I think the mentality that forcing certain subjective parities just based on a handful of people's opinions is goofy. I'd just say let the kids pick the majors they want and let the government only have one purpose - to not allow institutions to establish bias. This is much preferable to the alternative where the government just replaces one set of biases with their own biases (or yours, or mine).

If the men are "losing ground" in these traditionally male-dominated fields, it isn't because of Title IX, it's because they are being out-competed.

this is the right answer

if a group is out because of quotas - that's simply wrong, despite whatever results happen

if a group is out because the other groups qualifies at a higher level - then that is just fine

frankly, splitting up the metrics based on groups in any way is an insult to each of those INDIVIDUALS that worked their butts off to get in

I'm more familiar with the biology and chemistry programs, as that is where I'm involved in undergraduate and graduate teaching, and in those disciplines there are a preponderance of women students. I don't doubt that different ratios might apply in math or engineering or physics.

Bio,Chem,and biochem are classic premed programs, particularly the two with the bio in them. It's not surprising that you see the same 60% of women that universities see in general. At least half of students at the University are premed or prelaw.

The other half of sciences- math, physics, computer science, engineering in general - they're still bastions of testosterone thanks in large part to the numbers of Shahs in them.

In the bigger picture of let people elect their major and pick the best, yes, that is the way to go. But the original posting articulated a Title IX policy might be implemented, which is an entirely different beast than the current one.