SpeedRacer

Most Christians accept evolution

Id really like to know where they got that survey number. How did they phrase the question & where did they do the survey. Is everyone who said no to evolution a religious creationist?

I wonder about this because I just about never encounter creationists in my life. Where are they hiding them?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I don't know about numbers but I think you'd be surprised that many Christians including myself do accept evolution as a viable mechanism with respect to the origins of the universe in totality. The Roman Catholic Church has accepted the Big Bang Theory and in the interest of full disclosure, I'm Catholic. First, evolution as we currently understand it does not confirm or deny the existence of God. I would posit to you that evolution is a mechanism of how it all came to be understanding that the Bible is not a book of science, it is a book of faith. I would gently encourage anyone here to read the "Contingency Theory" as put forth by Thomas Aquinas. This is one of his five arguments for the existence of God. You may agree or disagree but at least a source is provided for consideration.

I'll close with some humor.

The story is told of a very perplexed gorilla under observation by one of the zookeepers. The gorilla was sitting all alone with the Holy Bible in one hand and Darwin's "Origin of the Species" in the other hand. The gorilla was confused for he did not know if he was his brother's keeper or his keeper's brother.

God Bless & Blue Skies

I don't know about numbers but I think you'd be surprised that many Christians including myself do accept evolution as a viable mechanism with respect to the origins of the universe in totality.

I would be very surprised by that. Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of the universe.

I would posit to you that evolution is a mechanism of how it all came to be understanding that the Bible is not a book of science, it is a book of faith.

Evolution is a mechanism of how modern species came to be. The bible is unrelated.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Evolution is a mechanism of how modern species came to be. The bible is unrelated

Evolution is a well-thought-out and well-supported theory of how modern species came to be. I think it's by and large pretty accurate, but it's clear that there are things that people still don't understand, and that's OK.

I went ot the Houston Museum of Natural Science's new paleontology exhibit (massive). It was quite crowded (and with members only); there are a lot of people who are interested, and who want their children interested, in how science views the evolution of life on our planet.

Frankly, I'd never realized the incredible diversity of trilobites -- I'd always thought of them as being some kind of quaint prehistoric underwater bug, but it was a whole class, with lots and lots of species.

I was kind of gratified to see the number of places where they explained why one conclusion led to another, and also hte number of places where they indicated that, frankly, they had no idea why something evolved the way it did. Knowledge is developing, and it's OK to be wrong as long as you're willing to fix it when there's more knowledge.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ya, the problem comes in when obnoxious condescending know-it-all loud mouth scientists claim their findings as truth and use it as a means to "fight" God. If you think our beliefs are full of shit then just say it...no reason to hide behind and diminish the integrity of real science with your own bullshit.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I don't know about numbers but I think you'd be surprised that many Christians including myself do accept evolution as a viable mechanism with respect to the origins of the universe in totality.

I would be very surprised by that. Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of the universe.

Ya ya...we know that, but most of us are more interested in the totality in the "theory of everything," so to speak...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Ya ya...we know that, but most of us are more interested in the totality in the "theory of everything," so to speak...

Amen!
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

If evolution is a fact, I want to know why it stopped?

Hahahaha. It hasn't.

What would give you the idea that evolution has stopped, in terms of humans or animals?

While the continued evolution of humans may not have a vast physical difference at face value, there are going to be changes that will take place as needed. Remember that evolution is natures way of adapting to a certain environment, as humans we have reached a point where we no longer really adapt to our environment as much with our bodies as we do by adjusting the environment to suit us.

And as for other animals, there are numerous species which one can visibly see it making a transition in it's evolution. The Cape Grass lizard for example is a clear example of an 'in process' evolutionary creature. It's a species that has started to grow legs but that aren't being properly used yet and still relying on it's original source of mobility (tail) to get around. Think half snake and half lizard.

The idea that evolution has stopped isn't supported in any way, firstly evolution is not something that happened in a short period with people saying "hey my grandfather looked totally different". And the only reason creatures evolve is to survive in a habitat or conditions that they couldn't before. The development of things like fire-arms, heating, airplanes. Those are all signs of evolution of sorts. We use our innovation to overcome the hurdles that evolution usually does with millions of years.

If they think it comes under the title of evolution then they're clearly not that interested.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That statement is a very clear indication you should do some reading. There are lots of decent books that make the topic very accessible to laypersons - you do not need to get a biology degree. Many are quite entertaining as well as informative. I strongly recommend Genome - now a bit dated but IMO the best written yet for non-biologists.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Are we not men?

Well, apparently some here in SC are just males.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

As far as I can tell, it hasn't.
It's just all running downhill now.
:o
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As far as I can tell, it hasn't.
It's just all running downhill now.
:o

That is what I'm gettin' at. We hear of species becoming extinct. We see technology developing better ways to kill each other. We do not see where the, so called, global warming is creating any changes in creatures adaptation to their environment. Radiation has not produced any adaptive mutations.

In other words the only thing evolving is death.