rushmc

Obama Care Plan In Action

This is as designed people. They could not get the coveted single payer so they did the next best thing. Set up a system that, in the end, would destroy private health insurance. Only problem they are having is, it is happening sooner than they had hoped. (IE: until after the 2012 elections)

Catholic university drops student health insurance, cites ObamaCare

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/15/catholic-university-drops-student-health-insurance-cites-obamacare/

And this isnt the first one. Unless the SC kills this bill, it will not be the last
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Do lots of schools do this? I've never heard of this before. When I was in college ('92-97') I was covered under my mother's plan as her dependent. I was covered past age of majority as long as I could prove I was a full-time student (I had until age 23, at which point I was out on my on, educational status notwithstanding).

Elvisio "the school infirmary was only good for Robitussin and condoms anyhow" Rodriguez

Under Obamacare my son, who is no longer is college is covered under my family plan until he reaches age 26. So this looks a bit like grand standing. Still, I'm sure my insurer is charging me more for my son.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>This is as designed people.

Agreed. Right wing schools and companies with no problems with health insurance, either before the plan or after it, will make tearful announcements that they can no longer afford to cover anyone under Obama's evil plan. Then internet posters will use their statement to claim "see? Obama will destroy private health insurance."

Good election year strategy. Think anyone will buy it? (beyond right wingers that is)

both my undergraduate and graduate school offered a student health insurance plan. I didn't participate so I have no idea how good they were.

I did have to purchase my own individual policy my last semester in college because I was not covered on my folks poliy after I turned 22.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Right wing schools and companies with no problems with health insurance, either before the plan or after it

This makes no sense. If the schools and companies were right wing then they wouldn't have offered insurance to their employees int eh first place. Am I correct?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This is as designed people. They could not get the coveted single payer so they did the next best thing. Set up a system that, in the end, would destroy private health insurance. Only problem they are having is, it is happening sooner than they had hoped. (IE: until after the 2012 elections)

Catholic university drops student health insurance, cites ObamaCare

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/15/catholic-university-drops-student-health-insurance-cites-obamacare/

And this isnt the first one. Unless the SC kills this bill, it will not be the last

Why is the "coveted single payer" concept a bad idea?

Details, please. The specific things that a single payer system would cause to happen that would impact health care in a negative way.

Feel free to use as your negative example the successful single payer system called "Medicare" that has minimal administrative overhead costs and successful service delivery as the hallmarks of how it works. You know, the system that tea partiers carry signs saying "Keep your government hands off my health care", in reference to the Medicare system.

I look forward to your extremely detailed cost/benefit analysis that justifies RWC hatred of something that works well in most other first world economies.

While you are at it, maybe you can explain how one of the biggest cheaters of the medicare system ended up as a conservative rescumlican governor of Florida.

Students now will likely have to be covered through their parents’ policy, though the school says fewer than 200 of its students had been buying insurance from the university.

looks like the size of the group plan (tiny) was a key factor, along with the change to the max benefit amount. These can cause substantial changes in rates.

The mandate that these youth can stay on their parents' plan till 26 mitigates a lot of this concern, but does harm those who parents cannot provide this access.

Feel free to use as your negative example the successful single payer system called "Medicare" that has minimal administrative overhead costs and successful service delivery as the hallmarks of how it works. You know, the system that tea partiers carry signs saying "Keep your government hands off my health care", in reference to the Medicare system.

I love it when libs tout Medicare as a system that works well. On average, Medicare covers about half (48 percent) of health care costs for enrollees...Medicare spending is projected to increase from $560 billion in 2010 to just over $1 trillion by 2022. It's in high gear and headed for the cliff along with it's sister Social Security.

Destinations by Roxanne

Details, please. The specific things that a single payer system would cause to happen that would impact health care in a negative way.

The Trustees of the Medicare program have released their annual report on the solvency of the program. They calculate that the program is “expected to remain solvent until 2024, the same as last year’s estimate.” But what that headline obfuscates is that Obamacare’s tax increases and spending cuts are counted towards the program’s alleged “deficit-neutrality,” Medicare is to go bankrupt in 2016. And if you listen to Medicare’s own actuary, Richard Foster, the program’s bankruptcy could come even sooner than that.

Here’s how the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services summarize the findings, which carry the formal title “2012 Annual Report of the Boards of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Insurance and Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds” :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/04/23/trustees-medicare-will-go-broke-in-2016-if-you-exclude-obamacares-double-counting/

Canadian Health Care In Crisis
A letter from the Moncton Hospital to a New Brunswick heart patient in need of an electrocardiogram said the appointment would be in three months. It added: "If the person named on this computer-generated letter is deceased, please accept our sincere apologies."

The patient wasn't dead, according to the doctor who showed the letter to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. But there are many Canadians who claim the long wait for the test and the frigid formality of the letter are indicative of a health system badly in need of emergency care.

Americans who flock to Canada for cheap flu shots often come away impressed at the free and first-class medical care available to Canadians, rich or poor. But tell that to hospital administrators constantly having to cut staff for lack of funds, or to the mother whose teenager was advised she would have to wait up to three years for surgery to repair a torn knee ligament.

"It's like somebody's telling you that you can buy this car, and you've paid for the car, but you can't have it right now," said Jane Pelton. Rather than leave daughter Emily in pain and a knee brace, the Ottawa family opted to pay $3,300 for arthroscopic surgery at a private clinic in Vancouver, with no help from the government.

"Every day we're paying for health care, yet when we go to access it, it's just not there," said Pelton.

The average Canadian family pays about 48 percent of its income in taxes each year, partly to fund the health care system. Rates vary from province to province, but Ontario, the most populous, spends roughly 40 percent of every tax dollar on health care, according to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

The system is going broke, says the federation, which campaigns for tax reform and private enterprise in health care.

It calculates that at present rates, Ontario will be spending 85 percent of its budget on health care by 2035. "We can't afford a state monopoly on health care anymore," says Tasha Kheiriddin, Ontario director of the federation. "We have to examine private alternatives as well."

The federal government and virtually every province acknowledge there's a crisis: a lack of physicians and nurses, state-of-the-art equipment and funding. In Ontario, more than 10,000 nurses and hospital workers are facing layoffs over the next two years unless the provincial government boosts funding, says the Ontario Hospital Association, which represents health care providers in the province.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-681801.html

Students now will likely have to be covered through their parents’ policy, though the school says fewer than 200 of its students had been buying insurance from the university.

looks like the size of the group plan (tiny) was a key factor, along with the change to the max benefit amount. These can cause substantial changes in rates.

The mandate that these youth can stay on their parents' plan till 26 mitigates a lot of this concern, but does harm those who parents cannot provide this access.

Maybe
But the price doubleing may be more of the reason

Price doubled because of Obamacare mandates among other reasons
Abraham Lincoln

Maybe

Well, the solution is simple. Just get the government to subsidize them.

That's what's going to eventually happen anyway. It always does. Incrementalism at it's best.

Maybe

Well, the solution is simple. Just get the government to subsidize them.

That's what's going to eventually happen anyway. It always does. Incrementalism at it's best.

Yes

As I stated before

This is NOT by acident

it is the goal

Hope the SC does its job and throws this mess out
Abraham Lincoln

If this healthcare proposal is allowed to become law, it will become a tangled ball of subsidies, credits, varying co-pays very similar to the tax code. It's what bureaucrats do. To believe any differently is as naive as it gets. (And there are a lot of incredibly naive people supporting it).

Hope the SC does its job and throws this mess out

Since they are exempt from the effects of their decision, there is no reason to expect a "fair and balanced" decision.

As a wise man once said, "you no playa da game, you no makea da rules."

Under Obamacare my son, who is no longer is college is covered under my family plan until he reaches age 26. So this looks a bit like grand standing. Still, I'm sure my insurer is charging me more for my son.

IMHO that is bullshit plain and simple.

After age 18 you are an adult not a child. The exception for going to school makes sense but it doesn't make sense to force an employer sponsored health insurance place to insure little Johnnie who is still living in the basement at age 25.

Little Johnnie isn't so little. He is an adult, get off your adult ass and take care of your self. Find an employer that offers health insurance, join the military, join the peace corp, do 100 different things, your an ADULT figure it out!

Why should your insurance company, and your employer pay, because someones kid can't get out on his own two feet?

Decided to major in your Walmart cashiers job and bong hits instead of going to school, no insurance.

Decided to major in Renaissance Lit. and now you can't find a job (shocker), no insurance.

Basically it was an end run to get more low health care consuming individuals into the system at the employers expense.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

IMHO that is bullshit plain and simple.

After age 18 you are an adult not a child. The exception for going to school makes sense but it doesn't make sense to force an employer sponsored health insurance place to insure little Johnnie who is still living in the basement at age 25.

Little Johnnie isn't so little. He is an adult, get off your adult ass and take care of your self. Find an employer that offers health insurance, join the military, join the peace corp, do 100 different things, your an ADULT figure it out!

Why should your insurance company, and your employer pay, because someones kid can't get out on his own two feet?

Decided to major in your Walmart cashiers job and bong hits instead of going to school, no insurance.

Decided to major in Renaissance Lit. and now you can't find a job (shocker), no insurance.

Basically it was an end run to get more low health care consuming individuals into the system at the employers expense.

That almost sounds like personal responsibility. Hush now...they'll be looking for you.

In reality my son hsa signed on for a 6 year stint with the Navy in the Nuke program. He doesn't leave until November so I'll carry his insurance until his uncle takes over.

Destinations by Roxanne

That almost sounds like personal responsibility. Hush now...they'll be looking for you.

In reality my son hsa signed on for a 6 year stint with the Navy in the Nuke program. He doesn't leave until November so I'll carry his insurance until his uncle takes over.

Good for him! :)
I didn't intend to make my post specifically about your son, instead I was trying to speak in general terms about how I feel about that change to the law.

Being a 28yo who has supported himself entirely since graduating from college, I feel like I am speaking from a position of some relevancy.
=P

Many small businesses don't offer insurance (this goes well before Obamacare). Small businesses often take a risk on younger employees. This second item is seen as a positive thing; the previous one is seen as freedom to choose, and a reflection of the rising cost of medical care in general.

How to reconcile? Do people only work for the government (including military) and/or the major companies that offer insurance?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't know what solution is to be honest.

Many small business owners don't have insurance themselves.

In my state they have floated the idea of letting small business buy into the state insurance pool, or let them band together to form insurance pools. That would certainly help with the cost.

Either way in my opinion the main objective had nothing to do with insuring younger individuals, it had everything to do with getting large employers to subsidize the market to a greater extent by pulling in low cost individuals that would bring along employer and employee premiums.
=P

...getting large employers to subsidize the market to a greater extent by pulling in low cost individuals that would bring along employer and employee premiums.

That's how insurance works -- get the low cost individuals in there to keep the costs of insurance down. If the insurance company is guaranteed to pay more than it gets in claims, then it won't be in business for very long.

If healthy individuals do without insurance, then it really does get to where it's nearly impossible to get insurance. Eventually a market solution is found, but it's often not the best one, especially in a case where what's being negotiated is seen as being essential to life.

If only bad drivers had car insurance, how much do you think car insurance would cost?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Exclude him.

Exclude him.

Depending on employer contributions, plan costs, how many other children you have to insure (our plan costs the same regardless of how many children I have while individual plans are priced per person), your tax rates, and his insurability in the individual market that might be a fine idea.

I'd be paying $400/month in pre-tax money to have one of the kids on my plan at work which is $207 in take-home pay. I was paying $80/month on an individual policy for our son before the market shake-up and am paying $140/month after.

The co-pays and deductibles aren't as good although at $1524/year then and $804 a year less expensive now that doesn't matter much, especially when predictable costs can be paid out of an FSA using pre-tax dollars.

reply]

Exclude him.

Depending on employer contributions, plan costs, how many other children you have to insure (our plan costs the same regardless of how many children I have while individual plans are priced per person), your tax rates, and his insurability in the individual market that might be a fine idea.

I'd be paying $400/month in pre-tax money to have one of the kids on my plan at work which is $207 in take-home pay. I was paying $80/month on an individual policy for our son before the market shake-up and am paying $140/month after.

The co-pays and deductibles aren't as good although at $1524/year then and $804 a year less expensive now that doesn't matter much, especially when predictable costs can be paid out of an FSA using pre-tax dollars.

At my work, there is no differences in the price I pay if I have one child or five; about $600 every month. being single, with my daughter being covered by her mother, I pay only about eighty dollars amonth for myself.

My point to airdvr is that for one who thinks Obama's coverage for children, up until the age of 26 is a mistake for this country. However, when this benefits his child, I would hope that he is thankful.

Perhaps because I work in the pediatric nuring field, I see many children (Up to the age of twenty one) who have suffered major life altering events. A good portion that I see who have no insurance or are under insured. Theses families face complete financial ruin.

Even in the nursing field, my work will hire 3 part timers instead of 1 full timer to save on benifits.

The world has changed in the last 25 years, to have your child with out insurance is pretty stressful for any parent. If you think one can just find a job with medical thses days, you're mistaken and your very unrealalistic.