wayneflorida

You are the Juror. George Zimmerman trial

normiss

So the 6 person jury is all women.
Very rare from what they're saying.

"Prosecutors and defense attorneys chose the panel of six jurors after almost two weeks of jury selection. In Florida, 12 jurors are required only for criminal trials involving capital cases when the death penalty is being considered."

anyone else think murder 2 warrants a slightly larger jury?

billvon

>So the 6 person jury is all women.

Dunno why they wasted all that time in jury selection. The people here figured out what happened a day after Martin was shot; just use them!

The people here deadlocked, however, from day 1 and has yet to reach resolution.

normiss

I prefer to understand the self defense meaning of the Stand Your Ground law and would like to know WHY the State of Florida prosecuted in the first place.
I think the law as it is currently written would prevent this from going to trial.

Is it possible the DA and others don't like the Stand your Ground law and therefore are bringing this case to trail to put the law and Zimmerman on trail and hopefully convict both.

If Zimmerman is convicted, does it not imply you no longer have legal protection under the law to stand your ground. You become a victim in both cases. Zimmerman stood his ground only to live to see his possible conviction for doing so.

Channman

***I prefer to understand the self defense meaning of the Stand Your Ground law and would like to know WHY the State of Florida prosecuted in the first place.
I think the law as it is currently written would prevent this from going to trial.

Is it possible the DA and others don't like the Stand your Ground law and therefore are bringing this case to trail to put the law and Zimmerman on trail and hopefully convict both.

If Zimmerman is convicted, does it not imply you no longer have legal protection under the law to stand your ground. You become a victim in both cases. Zimmerman stood his ground only to live to see his possible conviction for doing so.

I don't think this is correct. I think the prosecution will argue that Zimmerman instigated the conflict, and then shot Martin when he (Zimmerman) started getting his ass kicked. Also, did Zimmerman's attorney not already pass on the SYG defense?

Zach

Channman

***I prefer to understand the self defense meaning of the Stand Your Ground law and would like to know WHY the State of Florida prosecuted in the first place.

SYG may not be germane- in May defense waived right to a pretrial hearing on that clause and will simply apply a self defense argument. They could still raise it during the trial.

A criminal conviction wouldn't say anything about the validity of the law, just he didn't meet the requirements it has.

I'm not the target audience you use that on Bill.
In this case, it is the truth.
He personally called the State prosecutor in Jax and had her step in a move to press charges.
Before that, the local PD, the county, and the state ALL passed on charging Mr. Zimmerman as it passed the SYG legal requirements in FL.

Don't like that?
Move to have the law changed.

normiss

I'm not the target audience you use that on Bill.
In this case, it is the truth.
He personally called the State prosecutor in Jax and had her step in a move to press charges.
Before that, the local PD, the county, and the state ALL passed on charging Mr. Zimmerman as it passed the SYG legal requirements in FL.

Don't like that?
Move to have the law changed.

it doesn't even matter -

everyone knows Bush is the one that had that phone installed in the first place

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

>So the 6 person jury is all women.

Dunno why they wasted all that time in jury selection. The people here figured out what happened a day after Martin was shot; just use them!

:D:D:D

I could see a deadlock....6 people all yelling,, "I'm right! You're wrong"

Judge:
"WTF, guys. This isn't DZ.com Speaker's Corner. Let's get with it here.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

normiss

He should have done so. (Sometimes I miss the Frye standard)
Under Daubert things are more complicated (and tougher on the judge) or admitting scientific expert testimony/evidence. In this case, from what I've read and heard, it's just not possible to determine who is yelling from the 9-1-1 tape. If it is not repeatable, how is it accurate?

Local legal experts this morning described this as a cake walk for the defense.

If you're on the defense team, it's never easy until a dismissal with prejudice or not guilty verdict. Anything short of that is nothing. Zimmerman is the only one with skin in the game.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

rwieder

Personally, I cant vote either way just now as I haven't heard the evidence. I refuse to try anyone via the media. The man is innocent, until Proven guilty. Right?

Presumed innocent until proven guilty.

A lot is going to depend on what evidence is presented by each side and allowed by the judge.

I have my opinions, but they are based on Wisconsin Self Defense laws. Florida is different. I'm not sure how different, but I don't think it's different enough to matter.
If the prosecution can keep the entire situation (from GZ calling the police to report a suspicious person to the shooting) as a single event, then GZ is in trouble.
If the defense is able to separate the surveillance and following part from the final fight, then he stands a chance.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo