JohnRich

The Seven Varieties of Gun-o-phobes

You are still missing the point

You are worried about the object

I am more worried about the person behind it

Of course I am worried about the object. The object determines my defence options and strategies.

Those who would kill do not care about those laws to begin with
So why do it?

Different concept thenw e were discussing, since I wasn't advocating bans or legislation. However, you agree with invading a country because they supposedly had weapons they were not allowed to have. Quite the double standard you've got going on.

Of course I am worried about the object. The object determines my defence options and strategies.

So why do it?

Different concept thenw e were discussing, since I wasn't advocating bans or legislation. However, you agree with invading a country because they supposedly had weapons they were not allowed to have. Quite the double standard you've got going on.

Wow
I have no idea what the hell you mean

but I guess you got beat on this one so it is time to change gears
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>A vehicle and weapon are made by man

So are hearts. Some are machines that we make by hand. Most are natural ones that we grow with our bodies. None are like guns, and none are like cars. (Just like cars aren't like guns.)

>Yes they must be treated differently

Exactly.

Wow
I have no idea

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Well at least you could welcome us all the the Skydekker world

where ever the hell that is:D
Abraham Lincoln

thats what i did two maybe three years ago in this section... And now i'm insane again... PULLLLEASE, someone take me out back and hit me with a bat, or run me over with a car, or fuckin, rip my heart out...!

:D:D:D
This thread has gone bonkers...off into space.
We know have new meaning for the phrase. "Off the Deep End"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>A vehicle and weapon are made by man

So are hearts. Some are machines that we make by hand. Most are natural ones that we grow with our bodies. None are like guns, and none are like cars. (Just like cars aren't like guns.)

James Bond's Aston Martin DB-4 had a pair of forward-firing machine guns, as well as an ejection seat. It was really cool - the best of both worlds.

"Guns don't kill people - James Bond does."

So why do it?

If you are worried about defense options, why not use your 2nd Amendment right, get yourselfs a CCW permit, pick up a nice 1911, or other easily concealed handgun, and be pro active about protection. Instead, your hoping that the criminal that attacks you, is following (parts) of the law by atacking you without a gun but rather a bat, or knife (which as shown can be equally as deadly).

Also you ask which I would rather face, an atacker with a gun, or an atacker with a bat, that would vary on the individual, and proximity. I am much more scared of say my mother with a bat, than her with a gun, (she has never shot a gun and probably couldnt even figure out how to load a round in the chamber).

And as far as invading a country goes, now your talking about breaking UN resolutions, weapons of MASS destruction, things of that nature, not really a good comparison. Even if it was though, that argument would only be valid against criminals who illegally own guns to begin with, NOT law abiding citizens, so I STILL do not see where you are trying to go with this.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

>Americans own approximately 300,000,000 guns and 255,000,000 motor vehicles.
>Fewer motor vehicles kill more people.
>Ergo they are more deadly.

Americans have 311,000,000 hearts, and heart problems kill 600,000 people per year. Ergo hearts are more deadly than cars or guns? And a rational person would see that and concede that hearts must be regulated more than guns?

Absolutely.

Heart abusers need to be regulated. Perhaps we can require a license to purchase and consume fatty foods which is denied to people who can't produce a doctor's report showing they have normal weight and blood pressure.

After people get used to that we can go a step farther and require evidence of exercise. My bike computer records GPS coordinates, heart rate data, and power which translates into a range of calories burned. Presumably with a little technological evolution we can get that sort of device combined with a cell phone and implanted in people.

That's the problem with apples to oranges comparisons. They're not always valid.

They're amusing which is most significant when it comes to internet discussions which have been pretty much the same for the last few decades apart from the move from Usenet to web forums.

They're also not entirely invalid. What should we care about? Too many people dieing because of things done by other people (murders and auto fatalities apart from the driver at fault) or people doing themselves in (suicides fast by bullet or slow by fast food). It's logical to address the most serious issues first.

Or we could concede that it's just about emotions, discussions aren't going to go anywhere, and forget about it except at the ballot box

Lessee.. I like my guns and candidate A believes that more restrictions on hand-guns and sport utility rifles are appropriate which affects me. He wants single-payer health care which doesn't because I get insurance at work, better schools which don't matter now that the kids have graduated, etc. Candidate B won't pursue anti-gun legislation, but is against abortion (I'm a guy, and if anything happens I can fly the women in my family to other states or countries), wants school prayer (the kids have undergraduate degrees), and hates gays (I'm straight). Candidate B!

Absolutely.

Heart abusers need to be regulated. Perhaps we can require a license to purchase and consume fatty foods which is denied to people who can't produce a doctor's report showing they have normal weight and blood pressure.

After people get used to that we can go a step farther and require evidence of exercise. My bike computer records GPS coordinates, heart rate data, and power which translates into a range of calories burned. Presumably with a little technological evolution we can get that sort of device combined with a cell phone and implanted in people.

Shit with the way healthcare is going in this country, id have no problem with what your suggesting :P
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

What do you think the gun o phobes would think about this?

In Iowa in 2010 179,000 hunting licenses were issued (two died)
In Wiscons in 2011 600,000 rifle deer hunting licences were issued (no one killed)

Here are example just two states! And these are just for deer !!!

Most of these guns must be broken and very few people were killed
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not anti-guns and I think they do have a place in the world. If I had the money and ambition to register I'd own one myself.

With that said, one definitely can't deny that availability of guns are likely to cause an increase in certain crimes. And cannot just say 'guns are not dangerous, the people behind them are'.

Yes a baseball bat can kill, yes a knife can kill, yes a box cutter can kill... But you're going to struggle to find a criminal who would attempt to hijack a car with these objects. In hijackings especially, a gun is almost the only effective way to commit the crime. One can easily out-drive an attempted baseball attack, you can't outdrive a gun up against the window.

Fact of the matter is a gun does make crime a much easier action for criminals and in most cases if it weren't for the gun the victim on the other end would stand a much better chance at running away or defending themselves.

I can get where pro-gun people come from, one should have the right to own a gun. But at the same time, restrictions need to exist to prevent these weapons from getting into the hands of criminals. No firearms to people with a history of domestic violence, nor to ex-cons nor those with mental disorders that tend to lead to violence against others.

Honestly, I think that guns should come with GPS tracking, not sure how but in a way that makes it extremely difficult to remove. Granted there would need to be strict privacy laws that require that tracking only take place once a gun is reported stolen by the owner. But I think it could be a major advance in illegal weapons. I know that in South Africa most of the guns used for crimes are stolen, it would be much easier if police were able to just track the thieves immediately after theft is reported. Seems like a decent way to clear up illegal firearms. Though with the amount that's already on the street it would only curb the problem a bit.

Guns are fine given that there is an obvious effort and regulations stated that keeps them out of the hands of people who are a danger with them.

I'm not anti-guns and I think they do have a place in the world. If I had the money and ambition to register I'd own one myself.

With that said, one definitely can't deny that availability of guns are likely to cause an increase in certain crimes. And cannot just say 'guns are not dangerous, the people behind them are'.

Sure you can - I've never seen a gun jump off a table and start shooting the place up on it's own. The *USER* defines the use, for good or ill.

Yes a baseball bat can kill, yes a knife can kill, yes a box cutter can kill... But you're going to struggle to find a criminal who would attempt to hijack a car with these objects. In hijackings especially, a gun is almost the only effective way to commit the crime. One can easily out-drive an attempted baseball attack, you can't outdrive a gun up against the window.

The gun equalizes the odds for the defender, just as it sometimes aids the attacker.

Fact of the matter is a gun does make crime a much easier action for criminals and in most cases if it weren't for the gun the victim on the other end would stand a much better chance at running away or defending themselves.

Not so - it leaves the old and weak at the mercy of the young and strong.

I can get where pro-gun people come from, one should have the right to own a gun. But at the same time, restrictions need to exist to prevent these weapons from getting into the hands of criminals.

How many MORE do we need to have? There's already over 20 THOUSAND gun laws on the books.

No firearms to people with a history of domestic violence, nor to ex-cons nor those with mental disorders that tend to lead to violence against others.

That's already law, and part of the NICS check at the federal level.

Honestly, I think that guns should come with GPS tracking, not sure how but in a way that makes it extremely difficult to remove. Granted there would need to be strict privacy laws that require that tracking only take place once a gun is reported stolen by the owner.

DEFINITELY disagree - too much of a possibility of abuse.

But I think it could be a major advance in illegal weapons. I know that in South Africa most of the guns used for crimes are stolen, it would be much easier if police were able to just track the thieves immediately after theft is reported. Seems like a decent way to clear up illegal firearms.

Seems a good way to round up the guns of legal owners if gov't decides to do that, as well. Again, too easy to abuse the system IMO.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Guns are fine given that there is an obvious effort and regulations stated that keeps them out of the hands of people who are a danger with them.

I am going to come pretty close to the third rail on this issue, but it is largely a matter of demographics.

In Switzerland, keeping a fully automatic firearm and ammunition operational and close at hand is legally mandated, and the rate of crimes involving firearms is vanishingly small.

In Chicago, it is a felony to even think hard about a firearm, and the rate of crimes involving firearms is high enough to be considered a commonplace occurrence.

Take a close look at the elements of the population involved and get back to me.

As I understand, the circumstances in So. Africa are pretty much the same.

BSBD,

Winsor

Sure you can - I've never seen a gun jump off a table and start shooting the place up on it's own. The *USER* defines the use, for good or ill.

Still doesn't make sense. If I put a balloon on one table and a gun on the table next to it. I doubt any rational thinking person is going to say both tables hold the same risks, regardless of who is at the end of each object. Both can be used to murder a person, but one is far far more likely to.

The gun equalizes the odds for the defender, just as it sometimes aids the attacker.

Not everyone owns a gun. Not everyone should have to feel as though they need to. Many people end up in marriages where the wife refuses to allow a gun in the household, or people can't afford it.

On top of that there is the fact that during a hijacking it's hardly a situation that gives much time to reach over and get a gun. As well as the fact that, not sure about how it is in the U.S, but from what I've gathered from reports here a criminal is far more likely to kill you if he sees you pull a gun. I'd imagine that's a reaction that's fairly common among criminals when it's kill or be killed.

You're also looking at the problem backwards, instead of trying to work to remove the problem, you're aiming at ways to deal with it.

Would make sense if the guy holding the gun in the first place wasn't in an advantage situation being able to shoot as soon as he sees a sign of a gun.

Seems a good way to round up the guns of legal owners if gov't decides to do that, as well. Again, too easy to abuse the system IMO.

As I said, there would need to be very descriptive laws around privacy drawn up in such a situation.

But if the government wanted to round up all gun owners, you think they couldn't do that already? Finding your exact location or your home address which I'm assuming is on all registration forms is hardly any different in the amount of work involved.

If you find yourself at some point staring down the barrel of a gun used by a criminal and you're out of reach of yours, the fact that he has one is going to be the problem, nothing else. And one has to be all kinds of psycho neurotic to never leave their gun.

Instead of focusing on defence, logic would say it would make more sense to focus on removing to opposing offence.

It's not the legal firearms held by moral citizens that's the problem.

It's the ones that exist among the criminals that's the problem. Unfortunately, as it so happens - most of those actually once belonged to those 'moral citizens'. It's a common practice for thieves, break into houses and steal the guns from safes/steal the safe itself.

Doesn't matter what the rules are on gun control in that state, when you've got so many travelling between criminals, it's removing them from those people that should become the focus.

Still doesn't make sense. If I put a balloon on one table and a gun on the table next to it. I doubt any rational thinking person is going to say both tables hold the same risks, regardless of who is at the end of each object. Both can be used to murder a person, but one is far far more likely to.

Sure it does - it's the USER that creates the risk, not the inanimate object. Give a murderer the balloon and he'll try to strangle you with it. Give a law-abiding person the gun and you're perfectly safe.

Not everyone owns a gun. Not everyone should have to feel as though they need to. Many people end up in marriages where the wife refuses to allow a gun in the household, or people can't afford it.

If people wish to deny that there is danger in the world, that's their business. I don't demand that they own a gun, and conversely they shouldn't demand that I disarm.

On top of that there is the fact that during a hijacking it's hardly a situation that gives much time to reach over and get a gun.

If someone is taken by complete surprise, it's not going to matter if they're armed or not.

As well as the fact that, not sure about how it is in the U.S, but from what I've gathered from reports here a criminal is far more likely to kill you if he sees you pull a gun.

If he's close enough to kill you for pulling a gun, you're close enough to kill him for pulling a gun.... or you can be disarmed and dependent on his good will to remain hale and whole.

I'd imagine that's a reaction that's fairly common among criminals when it's kill or be killed.

Fairly common among armed defenders, too.

You're also looking at the problem backwards, instead of trying to work to remove the problem, you're aiming at ways to deal with it.

That's correct - I don't subscribe to the wishful thinking that criminals will turn in their guns.

Would make sense if the guy holding the gun in the first place wasn't in an advantage situation being able to shoot as soon as he sees a sign of a gun.

Makes sense when the defender can shoot as soon as he sees a sign of a gun, too.

As I said, there would need to be very descriptive laws around privacy drawn up in such a situation.

But if the government wanted to round up all gun owners, you think they couldn't do that already? Finding your exact location or your home address which I'm assuming is on all registration forms is hardly any different in the amount of work involved.

The only 'registration' on my guns are the 4473s at the gun shop, and that's how I prefer it. Fed.gov has zero business knowing what private property I own.

If you find yourself at some point staring down the barrel of a gun used by a criminal and you're out of reach of yours, the fact that he has one is going to be the problem, nothing else. And one has to be all kinds of psycho neurotic to never leave their gun.

Are you 'psycho neurotic' for having insurance on your home and car? Are you 'psycho neurotic' for having a fire extinguisher in your home and car?
Are you 'psycho neurotic' for wearing seat belts?

Instead of focusing on defence, logic would say it would make more sense to focus on removing to opposing offence.

Since we're discussing logic - let us know when the criminals start obeying laws.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How many MORE do we need to have? There's already over 20 THOUSAND gun laws on the books.

NO MORE are needed. Fewer, better, less easily circumvented laws are needed.

No firearms to people with a history of domestic violence, nor to ex-cons nor those with mental disorders that tend to lead to violence against others.

A check that is easily circumvented and therefore ineffective.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In Switzerland, keeping a fully automatic firearm and ammunition operational and close at hand is legally mandated, and the rate of crimes involving firearms is vanishingly small.

In Chicago, it is a felony to even think hard about a firearm, and the rate of crimes involving firearms is high enough to be considered a commonplace occurrence.

Take a close look at the elements of the population involved and get back to me.

All true. So, how do we go about changing a culture that celebrates having money/stuff more than how you got it? Where going to prison is so commonplace it's virtually seen as a rite of passage to adulthood, a badge of honor not shame? Where the great majority of kids grow up with neighborhood gangsters as their only male role model? When Mike Tyson can go to jail for rape, come out a hero to the community, and find himself more marketable than ever due to his "enhanced" notoriety and bad boy image, we are well and truly fucked.

I've read that in Japan (with a very low crime rate) going to prison automatically results in social ostracism. Not uncommonly, even immediate family including your children will refuse to acknowledge your existence. Think about it, after you've served your time and are released, you find yourself unemployable and totally alone, none of your former friends coming around, your kids won't return your calls. All alone until you eventually die. Here in the states we celebrate outlaws as folk heroes: Bonnie and Clyde, Billy the Kid, Al Capone, all ruthless Killers who made lots of widows/widowers/orphans, but all admired in a way.

Don

NO MORE are needed. Fewer, better, less easily circumvented laws are needed.

Fewer/better, I agree with - you've still not provided any proof of the circumvention you keep claiming.

A check that is easily circumvented and therefore ineffective.

And I'll believe that as soon as you FINALLY provide some proof of it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

With that said, one definitely can't deny that availability of guns are likely to cause an increase in certain crimes.

Sure I can. Confrontational crimes against people (robbery, rape) go down when restrictions on concealed carry are lessened.

Burglaries go up.

It's not the legal firearms held by moral citizens that's the problem.

It's the ones that exist among the criminals that's the problem. Unfortunately, as it so happens - most of those actually once belonged to those 'moral citizens'. It's a common practice for thieves, break into houses and steal the guns from safes/steal the safe itself.

Doesn't matter what the rules are on gun control in that state, when you've got so many travelling between criminals, it's removing them from those people that should become the focus.

and here is where the problem is

Laws only affect those who follow the law

Do criminals follow the law?
Abraham Lincoln